Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects took the 'bobber 'to goodwood on a 1200 mile trip Im hooked

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by Frank280ZX, Jan 11, 2017.

1. Frank280ZX

Frank280ZX
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Wageningen
    1. A-D Truckers

In September in the UK there sort of the holy grail for classic car racing in combination with ‘50’ and ww2 area lifestyle and even some b17’s spitfires etc.
    IMG_4801.JPG
    It’s a cocoon of style where you feel tripping back in time. it’s a happening we always do with or car club friends.

A Hot Rod in Europe is not a common sight, there are bubbles of enthusiast in the UK and Scandinavia so even the border agents take pictures with the car :)

IMG_4798.JPG

We lined up the cars for this years trip consisting of a Land rover Lightweight a Morgan a Bay window and D-type. And took out or WW2 aviator jackets and outfits to bled in.

In April the car still sat in the desert in SoCal so I had to make some changes and get a feel for the car to know what I really want and need to change for the legality of the car on European roads.

The first thing I changed where making lake-pipes from a kit I bought in Orange CA ( for a sbc but that really does not matter much if you have the flanges for the Y Block)
    IMG_4794.JPG

Making a rear deck adding wipers and windows, and fabbing a gas tank that holds more than the old Jerrycan.
    IMG_4792.JPG

In the process i also raised the back by removing the lowering bloks and reworing the lower pick up points. It still could use some extra height in my book but that is a later problem.

Anyhow i felt this was a good shakedown to what i ultimately want to change on the car. one is losing the satin black for a period ford green.

Here some pictures on the road:

IMG_4799.JPG

In the canal tunnel between Calais france and Dover UK
    IMG_4804.JPG

Somewhere near Antwerpen Belgium IMG_4789.JPG

In the UK near Chischester

IMG_4795.JPG As I read and found out the top end oiling system on a Y block is disputable, this engine was built by a renown engine builder in SoCal but..
    He did not mount the cam shaft the way it should making it not get oil..

Luckly poor oiling is an audible noise, we where on it on time:
    Roadside quick fix: IMG_4802.JPG

But we got there to wake up to a wet and damp UK landscape
    IMG_4790.JPG IMG_4791.JPG

On with tooling for a permentant fix

IMG_4796.JPG IMG_4797.JPG

After driving Home i have to say i love the brutal simplicity of hot rods.. the style of pure Americana the style and smile they bring!

And yes this car needs some help in the look department (mater of taste) but all the parts are there to work with and its technical sound apart from a mechanical error that popped up from an man made fault with building it.. it was steady and reliable.

I’m completely hooked even when I write this up 4 months later!

Plans are:

-Raising the car

-Painting

-Some interior work to make it bit more friendly habitat

-Fenders ( by law but removable)

-some sort of part hood with leather straps to the chassis

And naturally al sorts of small bits and pieces like ie coper fule lines to the carbs etc .. mainly look.
    follow to see what ill post here on the build

2. Happy times in a trippy truck. HOT -ROD low, like a Jailbar bucket. And moving up in the world! (Y) not?

p.s. sweet section- grille a la camionette

3. Frank280ZX

Frank280ZX
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Wageningen
    1. A-D Truckers

I do want to raise the car a bit but I’m am still finding out ( reading here) how to go about it i think i want to raise the whole car 3" to 4" set at a rake ( so rear 2" higher than front orso) this so the engine is visual horizontal.

4. Lebowski

Lebowski
    BANNED

That looks like fun. Thanks for posting the pics. How long did it take you to clean all of the dirt and mud off of it when you got home?

5. Frank280ZX

Frank280ZX
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Wageningen
    1. A-D Truckers

Its way cool there is some classic detroit iron around aswel, also some olds school gassers last year that did a parade lap.

Here are some more pictures of warbirds:
    IMG_4805.JPG

IMG_4809.JPG

IMG_4808.JPG
    I kind of like the airplaine of ww2 styling to reflect in teh car when its done
    As for the mud .. well a good power washer does the job!

williebill likes this.
  6. woodiewagon46

woodiewagon46
    from New York

Way cool Frank, Goodwood is on my "bucket list" and everything I read about it makes me want to get there even more. I see they still have the WWII theme. I have been fortunate to get up in a B-17 and a B25, what an adventure. The guy's that flew those airplanes were true heroes. Thats why they call it the "Greatest Generation" we will never see the likes of them again.

oldsjoe and Frank280ZX like this.
  7. Frank280ZX

Frank280ZX
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Wageningen
    1. A-D Truckers

I cant agree more they where real man!!!! hell if not for them i would be part of Germany now.
    I met up with a very nice guy from the USA he had a big collection of nice cars and flew in for the show ( he was some sort retired big shot in the US army) And he was really amazed by the show. If you ever to decide to go let me know.

8. We went to Goodwood in 2011 and it was the most amazing and unbelievable thing I've ever seen!

Good luck with your project!

9. panheadguy

panheadguy
    from S.E. WI

Going this Sept 2017. I'm stoked. Not sure about the theme as everyone is supposed to dress in period atire.

10. belair

belair

Good call on the paint. Be careful with copper fuel lines. They can crack. Thanks for sharing the adventure.

11. drtrcrV-8

drtrcrV-8

X2 on the Copper!! 'Copper clad' is SAFER & looks the same!

12. flatheadpete

flatheadpete
    from Burton, MI

Looks like a good time!!!!

13. Frank280ZX

Frank280ZX
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Wageningen
    1. A-D Truckers

Its mandatory, the brits like dress up party and you look out of place if not in period attire, you can even get denied. And since Goodwood revival is picking up in popularity and thus more people are not in attire . I hear from somebody in the organization they talk about enforcing what’s also on the ticket. attire is mandatory. Jeans and white sneakers are a no go.

Basically it has to be scrutinezed as the HAMB is aswel to keep the qaulity good

14. Frank280ZX

Frank280ZX
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Wageningen
    1. A-D Truckers

thanks for the heads up wil use that

15. swifty

swifty

Thanks for the pics and the write-up. Looks like you had a great time even if it was a 1200 mile round trip. Going to the UK for the Hayride this year but will be back home before September so will miss Goodwood.
    I can remember seeing Y-blocks with copper pipes feeding oil into the valve covers here in Oz in the 60's so it's been a common problem. Happy to see that you have a Y-block though instead of the common SBC.
    Good luck with your build and have fun.

16. Frank280ZX

Frank280ZX
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Wageningen
    1. A-D Truckers

I like the Y mBlock its a 1940 ford and i could see ford rodders back in the day jumping to the ‘cutting edge’ Y block being Ford’s first OHV engine.. It feels right to this car.

Like i said the looks are not there yet ( though it’s a matter of taste in way) but this car is quality built and has all the right parts that I can base my envisions of the car..

This is just a scetch but it gives a direction

rodgreen.jpg