Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical KAKA Tubing Bender - Anyone used one?

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by judgeyoung, Jan 10, 2017.

1. judgeyoung

judgeyoung

I am getting ready to buy a tubing bender for personal shop use only. Read many threads, but saw nothing on this one listed on fleebay. It has steel dies and includes 5 different sizes for about the same price as most other benders with only one or two, and comes as a hydraulic (manual pump) unit. Looks like a pretty good deal.

Has anyone used one? I will be bending .134 mild steel EWT with it.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/KAKAIND-HB-...c7e7960&pid=100005&rk=6&rkt=6&sd=282321561287

2. The name doesn't do much for instilling confidence in a potential customer :D...
    After reading the auction listing, looks like the person who wrote it does not speak English as a first language - probably an offshore item like most others that we get stuck with these days...
    Steve

belair and prewarcars4me like this.
  3. That CaCa is only $409.00 on their web site!

Texas Webb likes this.
  4. judgeyoung

judgeyoung

LOL, It may just be caca...er Kaka! I just figured that if the dies were steel instead of aluminum and appear to be able to bend more than 90 degrees, it might be worth a look. Price is definitely pretty good, considering the number of dies. If the dies are good enough, and, even if the jack is crappy, I could always rework, strengthen, etc the frame.

I would still like to hear from someone who had laid hands on one of them...

5. judgeyoung

judgeyoung

BTW, the fleebay one includes shipping. The website one will be $83 for shipping.

6. judgeyoung

judgeyoung

So, you have used/seen one, or just a random comment?

7. gpohl6

gpohl6

bender.jpg Front view 1.jpg If you can borrow one, you can readily build one for a LOT less money, buy a bottle jack and buy the dies for $149.95. Mine worked fine for bending my roll cage, bumpers and rub rails. Easy to do, just be really careful with layout and welding so as not to warp the frame.

loudbang and judgeyoung like this.
  8. Kaka shit random comment

FlyFisher likes this.
  9. tubman

tubman
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I had one that worked like this, but was in a different configuration (the jack was on the bottom). It was $189 at Northern Tool (10 years ago), and I used it to build a 2" system on my '36 3-window (getting those two inch pipes through the '36's frame was kind of a challenge). I was very satisfied with the results, and after a couple of years moving it around my shop, I sold it to a friend that made me an offer I couldn't refuse.

The last time I posted about this, a couple of guys said that it wouldn't work, and I was wrong. All I can say is that they weren't there and weren't at the "Return to the Fifties" show when they were doing free emissions tests. I passed with flying colors.

That being said, in my opinion, the one referenced seems over priced and kinda flimsy looking. I'd check Northern Hydraulics (oops, Northern Tool and Equipment) before I'd buy that thing.

10. oldtom69

oldtom69
    from grandin nd

as mentioned in EVERY tubing bender post,harbor freight/northern tool is a PIPE bender.the on you have pictured from e-bay is a tubing bender.Many companies are using the design shown with the die quality being the main difference between the many manufacturers.Be aware this is a 90 degree bender.In tub mans post he says he bent exhaust PIPE with it,not roll bars etc.Big difference between pipe and tubing

11. Johnny Gee

Johnny Gee
    from Downey, Ca

^^^^^ Kaka Specifications
    Chromoly Tubing (90 Degrees)

Bends up to 90 Degrees in 3/4”, 1” and 1-1/2”diameter with wall thickness up to 0.040”

Mild Steel Tubing (90 Degrees)

Bends up to 90 Degrees in 3/4” and 1” diameter with wall thickness from 0.049” to 0.090”

Chromoly Tubing (60 Degrees)

Bends up to 60 Degrees in 3/4”,1.0”, 1-1/2”, 1-5/8” and 1-3/4” diameter with wall thickness up to 0.040”

Mild Steel Tubing (60 Degrees)

Bends up to 60 Degrees in 3/4”, 1.0”, 1-1/2”, 1-5/8” and 1-3/4” diameter with wall thickness from 0.049” to 0.090”

12. image.jpeg

Bender with just 1 die set. Others are available.
    Made in the USA by guys like us.
    image.jpeg

13. Johnny Gee

Johnny Gee
    from Downey, Ca

^^^^^ Why is the lower 39.5% cheaper than the one that sold more than 69% ? I say if your going cheap, go all the way.

14. You can't judge "Sell Rate" based on that. I list many items that I have hundreds of only 10 at a time so it doesn't look like I have hundreds - so you better buy soon. Depending on when you look it may say 10 available 1 sold or 10 available 9 sold, and then it starts over again.

15. Johnny Gee

Johnny Gee
    from Downey, Ca

I judge you didn't see the joke in it. Read both adds more carefully. There as tricky as my writing.

16. judgeyoung

judgeyoung

Thanks for all the good info. A friend contacted me and has a Greenlee with steel dies. Doesn't know the model. Anything I need to know/look for with it? Will it bend cage tubing?

17. Buy a JD 2 with the dies you need to start . You can get other dies later .you will get kaka on your hands with the cheap one. The greenlee ones are mostly for electrical tubing most emt is a unique size , not tubing not pipe.

Last edited: Jan 10, 2017
    Johnny Gee likes this.
  18. drtrcrV-8

drtrcrV-8

I see that it says that it will bend 1-1/2"x .040" Chromemolly Tubing up to 90deg. Might I point out that most Racecar Assns. are specifying 1-1/2" x .120" !!! wall for roll cage tubing?? You'll be a lot happier in the long run if you buy "Quality" over "Price", even if it squeezes you right now, because it usually works better(AND SAFER!!!) Please excuse the SAFETY RANT, but 'hurt' is NO FUN!!!

19. 1 die vs 5 dies. The five dies is actually cheaper if you need and want 5 dies I guess

20. southcross2631

southcross2631

Looks just like the one I bought from Speedway. Just a different color. Mine works fine for 1 5/8 mild steel. Used it for header pipes , didn't crush them.

21. wuga

wuga
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Our cage was bent on the Speedway bender. 1 5/8 DOM 120 wall
    Warren
    DSC03692.JPG

Jerrybigbird likes this.
  22. dreracecar

dreracecar
    from so-cal

Really !!!! NHRA SFI spec for roll cages Top Fuel 1 1/2 x .065 -- Funny car 1 5/8 x .065 -- ALL door cars that have to cert with Moly 1 5/8 x.083

These benders do bend tubing/pipe but the quality of the bend itself is lacking. ANY of these grab and pull benders stretch the outside of the radius and flatten it so the bend is egg shaped and will lose some structurability. You reduce that deformation by increasing tubing wall thickness, bend radius or both. This type of bending action was meant for use with a internal mandral to keep the wall from colasping , eliminate the mandral and the unit becomes a very compact and cheap to build

23. There is nothing worse than having a chassis Fail a certify sonic test. It will be either a crap weld or the outside of a bend radi. Quality chassis work isn't done on a garage floor with Cheep Ass equipment. If your just doing home style Hot Rod work for yourself you can make do with anything. Start charging $$$$ for your work it better be up to the Test. You'll never regret having Quality tools and actually knowing how to use them, meaning a Top Notch equipment won't make you a Journey Man anything. Plan ahead and know what you want in the end, then buy what it takes to get there.
    The Wizzard

24. dumprat

dumprat
    from b.c.

That bender is a copy of the "got trikes" bender. You used to be able to get the plans on the net for it for free.

25. oj

oj

I've bought stuff from Kaka, it is chinese import - some junk some slightly better. Go to Alibaba and you'll see what it really costs but you have to buy quantity.
    As far as 'cages' go, is it really a cage? then 1 5/8 .118 DOM, i doubt they'll accept welded seam. that machine won't do chromemoly, I don't care what they claim - esp about the smaller diameter, even my machines won't do .040 wall.
    If you are doing a hoop, like an 8point system then you'd want to bend 1 3/4 .118, it is best to go up to .134ish on the wall due to varieations in manufactoruring, if they sonic test your tubes at .116 you are screwed. So its considered good practice to go larger and easier to weld.

26. drtrcrV-8

drtrcrV-8

To restate: ANY TUBING w/.040" wall Should be considered "02-F'in-Thin-Wall" for ANY "safety" bars/cages!!!

27. Different dies but Looks like the same unit

image.png

28. dreracecar

dreracecar
    from so-cal

Where do you get your info from???? ERW (electronic resistence welded) steel tubing is the widely used tubing in race cars that allow mild steel construction (NHRA legal to 7.50 ET's) The problem with it is the 1 5/8" does not come in a true .120 wall thickness and more like .114 wall that will fail sonic. The next step is 1 5/8" .134 wall but is not always stocked and is a mill-run supply. so you have to buy from a chassis shop that stocks it at around $70 for 20', DOM .120 wall (measures @ .120) is $140 for 20' 1 5/8" .083 wall Moly is $130 for 20' although it is sold b the foot because the lengths are random from the mill

Last edited: Jan 11, 2017
  29. oldtom69

oldtom69
    from grandin nd

I.E. greenlee bender-every greenlee bender I have seen has been a pipe or conduit bender,very high quality,but NOT for tubing!!!!