Register now to get rid of these ads!

Flathead Starter problem

Discussion in 'New to the H.A.M.B.? Introduce yourself here!' started by fnjunk, Jan 10, 2017.

1. fnjunk

fnjunk
    from Australia

Hi guys I have a problem with my starter ring gear it sounds as if it is creeping back and touching the flywheel ring gear while the engine is running causing a rattle.
    I removed the starter and found that the weighted little plate on the back of the gear was lose and that was the high pitch rattle I was hearing.
    I change the complete bendix assemble from another starter I had and there still seems to be a rattle when driving but not as high pitched as before I changed it.
    It seems to be the starter gear sliding back against the fly wheel.
    Question is what stops this from happening?
    Thanks in advance
    Darren (Fnjunk)

2. fnjunk

fnjunk
    from Australia

ImageUploadedByH.A.M.B.1484088730.792892.jpg
    Here's a pic in case there are other styles.
    Cheers

3. walter

walter

Everything looks correct in the picture. Are you certain the starter mounting plate matches the hogs head?

4. YOU really should be asking this question over on the main board....Didn't you notice the title of this forum page??,,,says INTRODUCE YOURSELF HERE"

5. fnjunk

fnjunk
    from Australia

SORRY wbrw32 put this on from a cell if I knew it was on the wrong I would not have posted here.
    Keep your pants on mate!