Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical Lever Shocks

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by PHIL COOPY, Jan 10, 2017.

1. PHIL COOPY

PHIL COOPY
    Member Emeritus

IMG_0957.JPG I am going to use lever shocks on my 27 T project. I have never used them before and don't know about the good and the bad. I can use any kind as long as they were available in the late 40's early 50's. Assuming the arms fit the application what are the good brands?

-Phil

2. 117harv

117harv

MG Lever shocks

^^^^ here is a thread on them/some, many more here with the info you seek.

3. Lever shocks will look good on that. Tube shocks work so much better. I made the same choice you're making.

4. Not that you asked, but I like the tie rod behind though.....

5. Atwater Mike

Atwater Mike

We that prefer correct Ackermann place the tie rod behind. The 'spring behind' will fit, but close.
    BTW, if you chose to use Ford lever type shocks, I recall someone was rebuilding them.
    There was also a tutorial? Much info was listed, (lengths of arms per yr., etc.)

6. Also that front crossmember needs some type of forward support, over time it will bend upwards like it is. you have to remember they were originally captured inside a frame rail and only had to resist upward motion, now yours has to resist an upward and twisting motion as a result of the spring behind setup.

7. PHIL COOPY

PHIL COOPY
    Member Emeritus

Like to do that but with this spring/crossmember configuration it will never happen. I'll just have to bend the arms out far as possible to minimize the effect on ackerman.
    Phil
    IMG_0962.JPG
    I made top and back of the crossmember out of 1/4" plate with a heavy fillet weld inside the back...hope it doesn't bend the frme.lol

Last edited: Jan 10, 2017
  8. greaser_Paul27

greaser_Paul27

1484088108494.jpg I used re ford rears on the front of my t works pretty good

9. Binger

Binger
    from wyoming

I used Delco Lovejoy shocks from a 1930 Chevy. They came on lots of GM and Dodge cars in the 30's. The only thing with this shock is it only dampens in one direction (the Rebound.) I have driven my coupe around 1000 miles since I got it road worthy and have had no issues. I think they look cooler than any tube shock. The Filling Station has rebuild kits. I had to modify the arms by welding a Ford ball on so I could use stock dogbone links. Search knee action shocks. I found a few threads about them during my build.

A shocks.jpg

Jet96 and brigrat like this.
  10. Rusty O'Toole

Rusty O'Toole

There is a story that Henry Ford specified Houdaille shocks for the Model A after an argument with his engineers. They tried to convince him that the transverse leaf spring was obsolete, and did not give as good a ride as competitive makes. His response was to ask who made the best shock absorbers, and when they said Houdaille, told them to put them on the car and leave the spring alone.

AVater likes this.
  11. Blues4U

Blues4U
    from So Cal

I recall seeing a post here about home made lever shocks, they were rather simple to make, just a lever to attach to the front axel, another lever to attach to the frame and a stack of discs, alternating steel and leather as I recall, in between. I thought it was Need Louvers who made them, and I thought it was in the Bucket of Ugly thread, but I skimmed that to the first 50 pages or so and did not see them. Really it's pretty simple, it's not like a highly complicated hydraulic valving system.

12. Blues4U

Blues4U
    from So Cal

13. Kerrynzl

Kerrynzl

Why don't you bend the steering arms down ,while you're bending them inwards for ackermann.
    Run the tie-rod under the spring.
    The spring arcs outwards with from the tie-rod when the suspension compresses.[the 2 should never come in contact with each other]

The shackle angle in your car is too vertical [unless you plan on a panhard bar]

Last edited: Jan 11, 2017
  14. denis4x4

denis4x4
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Colorado

Here's MG Midget rear shocks that have replaced the friction shocks on my Zipper. Had the valving redone by Peter. This is the mockup for the new brackets. IMG_3179.JPG

Binger likes this.
  15. john walker

john walker

'49 cad rear lever shocks on my 30 roadster. Have a pair on the rear too. good damping both up and down and adjustable, depending on what oil used in them. I like 40 wt.

IMG_0641.JPG

Binger and brigrat like this.
  16. PHIL COOPY

PHIL COOPY
    Member Emeritus

Checked out bending the arms down, need about another 1 1/2...might work. The shackled arn't shown as they would be installed.
    Thanks for the suggestion...Phil

17. PHIL COOPY

PHIL COOPY
    Member Emeritus

Boy those '49 caddy shocks would be the answer on my T. -Phil