Register now to get rid of these ads!

History 57 Canadian Pontiac SEDAN DELIVERY - ??

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by skipperman, Jul 16, 2014.

1. I honestly don't think that trim was original. Pontiac deliveries were base model only items as far as I know. There are supposed to be three stars and the trim ends in the 1/4 panel, doesn't extend onto the doors and front fenders. Interior components were in common with 150 Chevies. I have seen more than four, three real nice ones, the biege one Fordnutz used to have, the black racer that was posted on here, and three others that looked like they were hit by bombs. None had the fancier side trim.

I just sold my 56 Pontiac delivery last week. It was originally a 261 three speed car

Last edited: Jul 18, 2014
  2. Jeff Norwell

Jeff Norwell
    Staff Member

I nearly bought one of those a few years back in Barrie On…..I think at the time it was $7500.00. all red but with trim like the one shown…. had work done to it. made me nervous...

3. Kinky6

Kinky6

Like you say, maybe so. I had always thought that the 261 in a Pontiac was sort of a "heavy duty" export use sort of thing; I've heard of various American makes beefing up suspension or drive line parts for export use. It seems that it would follow that the Canadian GMC pick-ups would get the stouter GMC 270 instead of the 261. Who knows what was the reasoning behind that.

Still kicking myself for selling my 261 cheap to some guy that had to have it; I just didn't have a project planned to put it in right then.

4. camerl2009

camerl2009

neat I don't know how many there are but it was most likely made in my city(Windsor Ontario) or at least parts of it were

5. Very nice car and great that you were able to get the history and prove it is legit.

6. skipperman

skipperman

I wanted to post another pic because the camera I used made her look Turquoise ... but she's actually LARKSPUR BLUE ...... special order color even ....... and ON THE TAG ......
    DSC05070.JPG

7. falcongeorge

falcongeorge
    from BC

I've never seen a '57, really nice score!

8. highpockets

highpockets

Very cool find. I will try to attach a picture of another one. IIRC, this was in Canada, belonged to a guy I bought a 58 Canadian Ford (Meteor) grille from for my Ford Sedan Delivery.

Attached Files:

kidcampbell71 and kiwijeff like this.
  9. Rusty O'Toole

Rusty O'Toole

Thanks for the correction. I went back and fixed the original post.

10. RacerRick

RacerRick

I just found this thread while looking up something else on a 57' Poncho Sedan Delivery I am buying. I guess I am going to necro a thread!

I have had at least seven 57' Pontiacs - all Canadian models - so I am pretty familiar with them. I hope you still have the car, as there is only a few dozen known to exist right now. Yours looks like someone has restored it. It doesn't have the correct seat upholstery pattern (pontiacs is different and asymetrical - IIRC the drivers side vinyl comes down farther than the passenger side) and the side trim is incorrect for your car.

Your style number is 2211 which is a Pathfinder. You should have the short trim seen on the other sedan deliveries. The short trim is actually harder to find than the full length trim because it was only on the base model, while the long trim was on both Pathfinder Deluxe's and Laurentians. The style number for both the Pathfinder Deluxe and the Laurentian actually starts with 20 in 57'.

kidcampbell71, mr57 and loudbang like this.
  11. Rusty O'Toole

Rusty O'Toole

Pontiac made cars with a flathead six cylinder engine up to 1954. In 1955 they introduced a new line of cars, all V8 engines.

This did not suit GM of Canada. A lot of their customers wanted a more economical car. So they borrowed the 261 from Chevrolet trucks. This gave them a six to sell, with a little more HP than the Chev, in keeping with Pontiac`s up market image. They continued to use this engine until it was replaced by the new Chev six in 1963.

mr57 and Bowtie Coupe like this.
  12. BJR

BJR

Another thing that is different from the US models is the US Pontiac models all had a floor mounted radio speaker in a fiberglass enclosure mounted on the floor hump under the dash. Like a 57 Cadillac.

Bowtie Coupe likes this.
  13. Further to my post # 46 back in July 2014 I finally found the only pics I have of the 57 Poncho Sedan Delivery, not great pics but you can see it had the short side trim and 3 stars........I was told by the POCI 57 Pontiac guys that supposedly only 682 were made but they may have been incorrect........this one was supposedly imported from Montana, maybe the US was the market for those 40 export models.........they certainly didn't come to Oz back in the day............anyway Skipperman that one of yours looks nice..........regards, Andy Douglas

Attached Files:

kidcampbell71 and loudbang like this.
  14. I saw a maroon 57 Canadian delivery at Goodguys Heartland Nationals in DesMoines 6 or 8 years ago. Don't remember what engine it had and your car should have all 3 stars on each side.
    I have a buddy in Omaha that has had a 56 and a 57 canadian delivery...still has the '57 with a 261/3 speed.

15. Frank Carey

Frank Carey

Somebody is maintaining a registry of Pontiac sedan deliveries.
    Google pontiac sedan delivery
    Should get some useful hits including the registry.

16. teejay99

teejay99

When you mentioned " funeral home " I immediately thought it would have been a " flower car " for constantly picking up flowers as needed ....very light duty . These days they would use a cargo van .
    Here in Ontario it was always fun , back in the day , taking a Pontiac ( Chevy motor ) across the border just to see the reaction from people . You could get a 409 Pontiac back in the early 60's and 327's were common .
    Nice car !

loudbang and Bowtie Coupe like this.
  17. skipperman

skipperman

Yes ... DID THAT ..... one guy has IT ALL and we purchased all the PROOF from him ....... That's how we found out it was a SPECIAL ORDER CAR with a few things DIFFERENT than the rest.... but it's a moot point--- SOLD IT a WHILE AGO ( this is an OLD THREAD ).

18. belair

belair

Spectacular colors. I have a factory A/C (dash parts) for sale. Almost as rare as your car.

19. 1961 Poncho

1961 Poncho
    from Las Vegas

421 to make it fly!

Sent from my iPhone using H.A.M.B.