Register now to get rid of these ads!

Folks Of Interest Anybody Else have a Bolt hoard or Bolt hoarding problem?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by LilBlue82, Jan 7, 2017.

1. GearheadsQCE

GearheadsQCE
    Alliance Vendor

Now I have to go cut a hole in my work bench! Great idea!!!!!!

2. pitalplace

pitalplace

I haven't posted for some time but I had to reply to this thread. I do have a supply (hoard) of bolts.

Attached Files:

Donut Dave likes this.
  3. Fedcospeed

Fedcospeed

Sure Do!!! The local hardware sells inferior stuff and costs a fortune . The local supply house is shutting down. I get what I dont have and need that day from Mc Master.Most of my stuff is organized and in bins of some sort.
    I really love garage sales and estate sales that have a garage or basement full of this stuff. Ive found a ton of aviation type nuts,bolts,rivets,and hardware etc.Bell cranks.Brass and SS. Last summer I got 3 big coffee cans of drilled bolts and Aluminum bolts(artwork) $3 a can. Doesnt even have to be practical,most of the time its super cheap.The whole trick is to have it organized otherwise the whole thing is worthless time spent digging around.And, no rusty crap

The one fab shop I worked at did all SS work. One product was oiler machines for Nabisco(Triscuit)When the machine was done,we swept up the area that we didnt have time for during assembly and just chuck it in the can. I was allowed to take any SS fastener I wanted out of the can or dust pan.That was 20 years ago and Iam still using that stash today.

4. Ron Brown

Ron Brown
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

This is the sign of a sick, sick mind.

Attached Files:

5. Bam.inc

Bam.inc
    from KS

Hoarder with OCD video(post 90) ...Genius!!!

6. mohead1

mohead1

I have a large sorted bolt/nut/screw/washer/fitting/hardware bin, but still have a heavy as shiite 5 gal bucket of everything

7. Johnny Gee

Johnny Gee
    from Downey, Ca

Oh ya ! My Dad had his version of that and pounded it my brain more than I care to tell about. Remember I said earlier on this thread I suffered from anxiety. Now you know the source but back to what my Dad did. He'd pour fasteners onto a towel and sort thru it on top of it. When done he'd pick up the towel like a chief picks up a cutting board then pour the bolts back into any number of unmarked cans that he stored his bolts in. Isn't that a good thing and a dumb thing all wrapped up in one ? I'm glad I gave that up and became my own person. Trouble is I'm screwed like threads on a bolt all on a count of it all. :D ;) :)

tb33anda3rd and hrm2k like this.
  8. studebakerjoe

studebakerjoe

In my opinion a bolt hoarding problem is when you run out of containers to hold them all. I work at a scrap metal yard and we disassemble all sorts of things. I keep a bucket with me and drop all sorts of hardware into it to take home. I especially love when someone cleans out an old garage or workshop and brings in a bucket of fasteners. Ive also gotten some nice old metal cabinets full of drawers great for organizing.

9. I have an old coffee can or two of bolts, nuts and washers sitting under the workbench. I'm afraid to admit that some of them have been in there for years... like the intake nuts and bolts from the Y-block I pulled out of a '55 Merc in Ray's Auto Wrecking back in '67. A couple of times a year I have to dump the whole mess out to find the nut or washer I need. Of course, now I have another can of Metric crap, one of AN fasteners, and try not to get any BS stuff mixed in...

10. phat rat

phat rat

LOL yea but it sure saves time

TagMan likes this.
  11. NWRustyJunk

NWRustyJunk

Several five gallon buckets full of bolts, nuts and washers.....going to sort them all out....someday. lol

12. yruhot

yruhot

tb33anda3rd likes this.
  13. yruhot

yruhot

I save and save. I use to use those clear plastic pikel jugs that had ginger snaps from sams club. I loved those things and then they stopped getting them in. Ive gone to every sams club in the valley but no more.That sucks but I still save.lol

14. Clik

Clik

I have a bunch of buckets full. I recently bought a bunch more bins and now I have to build more shelves to put them on.

My wife likes to do puzzles. I told her I have a great puzzle for her. You knooooooow. ;)

15. Clik

Clik

I bought a couple of those big stick magnets with the release handle. They come in handy when sorting nuts and bolts. They also save time from crawling under cars when I drop fasteners.

Sometimes if I'm sorting small fasteners and want to bag them, I just put the bag over the magnet inside out, pick up the fasteners and then fold the bag back over and seal it up.

16. Fabber McGee

Fabber McGee

I think some of you fellows might be using incorrect terminology. In my opinion, hoarding is collecting things just to have them with no real intention of using them. If what you collect is something you are using fairly regularly or at least intend to sometime, then the operative word should be "INVENTORY"
    The way I see it, a man needs a certain amount of inventory on hand. Twinkie Hotel 16 048 (Small).JPG Twinkie Hotel 16 050 (Small).JPG Twinkie Hotel 16 052 (Small).JPG Twinkie Hotel 16 053 (Small).JPG Twinkie Hotel 16 054 (Small).JPG

17. junkyardjeff

junkyardjeff

I refer to calling it keeping supplies in stock.

18. I moved into my house in 1986. There was a private hardware store in town and I went there shortly after I moved in. I had trouble getting the owner's attention, he and his wife were glued to a TV set behind the counter... that was the first and last time I went there. They scarcely looked my way as the sale was rung up.

The store recently moved and is now a True Value. I should stop in to see if the owners have changed. My local Ace has an excellent hardware selection. I'm there all the time.

19. Johnny Gee

Johnny Gee
    from Downey, Ca

Smug's Hardware. "We don't take a like'n to new comers here so move along." "Damn that True Value."

20. I was fuming as I left and never looked back, probably passed the place easily 500 times over the years on the way to True Value or Ace.

21. Fabber, Is that a Milwaukee Machine Lathe hiding in that pile? Kind of like this? MM Lathe.jpg

22. I've got a small inventory as well. Huge time saver.
    Bolt bin (2).jpg

Fabber McGee and stanlow69 like this.
  23. Fabber McGee

Fabber McGee

Nope, it's a Cincinnati. A little longer than yours, but probably similar vintage. Pretty sure 'ol Chris brought it over on the Santa Maria. 16 inch swing and 6 foot bed. Still fairly tight, good enough, nothing I work on is going on the space shuttle anyway. Ha,ha.
    I keep the business end cleared off and available, but hardly ever need more than the first 2 feet.

24. Think of the poor bastards who DONT have a bolt hoard.... Like when you go to someone's house, and they say... "You know how to fix things... Can you have at a look at this?"
    And you reply, OK, just get me a 1/4" X 1" bolt or screw or something close... And they say " oh, we dont have anything like that... I think I have a packet of thumbtacks somewhere....are they OK? AAAAARRRRRGGGGHHHHH!!!

-Brent-, stanlow69, TagMan and 2 others like this.
  25. Fabber McGee

Fabber McGee

If they ever did have a 10 pack of 1/4 inch bolts, they used 1 or 2 and eventually threw the rest away.

26. DDDenny

DDDenny
    from oregon

Hilarious and so true, I bet most of us have experienced that.
    Not to be judging people (my wife says I should work on that for the new year), but I have been to peoples houses and have asked if they have any tools and they will bring out their (never used) plastic tool kit that they were given for Xmas in 1973, you know those kind you buy when going on a road trip.

27. badvolvo

badvolvo

I spent a hour last weekend trying to find some 1/4 fine thread in my not organized drawers of bolts & odd fasteners. But i found all eight i needed, so i got the trunk deck on, and lower panel welded in.
    If not for my junk bolts, i would have spent the weekend watching football.

28. DDDenny

DDDenny
    from oregon

Is that the ball with the "pointy" ends?
    Nevermind, I'd rather sort these out.

20170110_150158.jpg

36roadster likes this.
  29. Yea, mine swings a 16 too. Apparently the shop that built mine merged with another shop in about '04 so I am having some trouble finding a good parts source. Funny what a 113 years will do to parts supplies.

30. stanlow69

stanlow69
    Member Emeritus

People usually bring me a coffee can or a glass jar of nuts, bolts screws and nails when working at somebody`s house. A good day working in the shop is when you don`t have to run to the store to buy something you don`t have.

-Brent- and michael knight like this.