Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical Plumbing hot water intake lines

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by dtwbcs, Dec 15, 2016.

1. dtwbcs

dtwbcs
    from Brenham,TX

Back to head scratching...Clifford intake/Headers. Knew I shoulda bought Nicson Headers

Sent from my iPhone using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

2. jimmy six

jimmy six
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

At the top of the cylinder head at the rear there are two 1/2" pipe plugs. The rear most one had a fitting with a hose that led to the left side fitting on the thermostat housing. These are 90* fitting and pretty hard to find. On the large trucks this was to get the rear hottest water to the cooling of the radiator without going thru the head. The one in front of it was for the gauge sender. This is the line to put your carb heating water thru.
    Also if you had a chance to look in your cylinder heads water chamber from the under side, you can see pressed in directional brass guides to force water coming out of the block towards the exhaust valves. If these are missing it's normally because of rust or the head was cut 1/8" + for raising the compression. Many of the heads were cracked getting to hot because of the lack of the correct hose. Not much about these heads I haven't figured out after 45 years of racing them.

3. Inked Monkey

Inked Monkey

That plug on the drivers side of the block with the petcock looks right. I came out of that with a 90 and ran a short hose up to the intake.

4. doyoulikesleds

doyoulikesleds

If you run the return line all the way back to the inlet of the water pump like the heater it will move more water and heat up faster

sunbeam and firstinsteele like this.
  5. dtwbcs

dtwbcs
    from Brenham,TX

I can come off the water pump with a T I guess and then just run some copper line back over around to the intake

Sent from my iPhone using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

6. If you run copper line , like I did , (I know your installation will be different) you may find the copper conducts heat so well , there is a temp drop before the manifold , I changed to steel to fix that.

loudbang likes this.
  7. dtwbcs

dtwbcs
    from Brenham,TX

I could use steel brake line?

8. RATRODCHEVY

RATRODCHEVY

This mine on my 261.

Attached Files:

9. dtwbcs

dtwbcs
    from Brenham,TX

I cant tell where the lower line goes. What size lines are those? I like the look.:cool:

10. That's Nice :)

11. RATRODCHEVY

RATRODCHEVY

The lines are 3/8 stainless and are routed to a heat plate on the bottom of the intake with 3/8 compression x 3/8 npt 90 degree brass fittings, similar to the one in the stat housing. Hope this helps.

12. dtwbcs

dtwbcs
    from Brenham,TX

Where does bottom line go ?Water pump or other side of thermostat....
    waterlinelocations.JPG

13. dtwbcs

dtwbcs
    from Brenham,TX

Ok one line goes to the square plug on the right.
    Second line needs to go where? that small pipe close to the fan pulley? Or does it matter; as they are both heater hoses?

14. dtwbcs

dtwbcs
    from Brenham,TX

I understand about underneath the intake-thanks.

15. RATRODCHEVY

RATRODCHEVY

Sorry I misunderstood. Yes one line goes to the water pump heater connection, the other to the stat housing.

16. dtwbcs

dtwbcs
    from Brenham,TX

17. RATRODCHEVY

RATRODCHEVY

Thank you

18. dtwbcs

dtwbcs
    from Brenham,TX

Well I guess I will try the water heat ;if not happy then will haveta get creative with exhaust heat. Why not I already own the headers, right.