Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical '32 Model B radiator advice

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by Fortunateson, Jan 8, 2017.

1. Fortunateson

Fortunateson

I still have not got around to starting my '32 5W but I do have another question. Trying to plan this build on a sensible budget so I was wondering if it is wise to have the original rad, which needs re-coring, converted to work with my 8ba engine. And if so could the bottom and top tanks be easily modified to do this? All comments appreciated.

2. DeucemanLt1

DeucemanLt1

I put a SBC in a 32 in 59 & a friend who ran a rad shop put new inlet, outlet, fill neck & filled original top fill. Ran for 5 years with no problems.

Sent from my iPhone using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

3. Fortunateson

Fortunateson

Thanks for the encouragement. Needs a new core soI question potential cost of refitting versus buying new.

4. Dak Rat

Dak Rat
    from NoDak

You don't mention if there was a front cross-member replacement or not. If the stock '32 member has been replaced with a Model A cross-member there could be a problem with the bottom tank clearing the "A" cross-member with the stock '32 radiator (I've had that problem) If everything clears and your top and bottom tanks are nice and straight, you should be OK using the B radiator.

5. I picked up a re-cored 34 Ford radiator for a friend that he had dropped of at a local shop several years ago, he was under the impression he would save a ton of money instead of purchasing a new Walker radiator,the shop did a excellent job and the radiator cools as well as any.

He did save some money,about 250 bucks which is a good savings but he only got a 90 day warranty.

Walker offers a 10 year warranty and if you plan on keeping the car that's not a bad deal. HRP

6. sloppy jalopies

sloppy jalopies

The top tank dumps in the center, plug/ patch it,
    upper tank has plenty of vertical surface to add [2] inlets...
    the '32 4 banger will have a tapered bottom tank...
    old trick was to grab a '30 -'31 model A turn the bottom tank 180* front to back,
    now the A's deep end is on the side you need to add...
    remove the forward pointing outlet, patch its hole, add the port to the engine side of the lower tank,
    cut them in half where the '32 and the reversed A tanks are the same "hight" and stock "width"...
    braze the brass, have it tested...
    ..... xxxxx....
    I bought a full hight 1930 alum. flathead radiator, think it was $250.00, needed a 3" chopped... bummer !

7. revkev6

revkev6
    from ma

just went through something like this... I had a nice 32 radiator on my 32... it's been off a few times to have the top tank soldered for pinholes in the top. the stock core is still good, but the tanks are about to go. My new walker is in the mail and should arrive tomorrow. been saving the mad money for a couple years to afford one. It REALLY sucks feeling like you can't leave town in your nice ride because the radiator might puke at any moment.

8. Is there anyone in your area that will even re-core a radiator? It's getting harder to have done.

9. Try to swap for a V8 radiator before you start cutting, maybe the "wanted" section.

Charlie Stephens

10. Fortunateson

Fortunateson

All good advice. The warrantee aspect is a good one. I'd like to keep and alter the rad I have as it came with the car. I believe there are a couple of places that still recore. Falcon George? I am not changing the front crossmember.

Last edited: Jan 9, 2017