Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects salvage 302

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Texas Rover, Dec 4, 2016.

1. Texas Rover

Texas Rover

Hello everyone. I am new to this site. One of my hobbies is saving collectible car and truck parts from a recycling yard. This is not a salvage yard. What goes in gets chopped up and sent to be recycled. I have seen a lot of great stuff, but cannot get everything. Living on Social Security only, sucks but nothing I can do about it. My question is about a GMC 302 with a Clark transmission that came in a few days ago. Is it worth my time to remove from the frame it is in? I buy this stuff to re-sell, but I have never bought and sold one of these. I generally try and stay with the smaller stuff. I do not know if it turns over yet. I will be going back to check on it, and the Clark. I think it is a 5 speed, if it is I plan to pull it. Any input would be greatly appreciated. Thank you.

2. Hnstray

Hnstray
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Quincy, IL

I think the 302 GMC is a desirable piece.....if you own it cheap enough to resell at a reasonable return for your effort. My guess, as a 'core', depending on variables, $300 to $500.

Don't have any idea about the Clark 5 speed.

Ray

volvobrynk likes this.
  3. manyolcars

manyolcars

Wasnt the Clark for busses and other heavy equipment?
    Its not stuff for hotrods and thats what this forum is for
    Where are you? we are (maybe) your customers if you get any good stuff

djr041060 and volvobrynk like this.
  4. Torkwrench

Torkwrench

A 302 GMC is a good engine. I'm planning on putting one in my 41 Pontiac. At the very least save the cylinder head, valve cover, and water pump.

volvobrynk likes this.

5. Texas Rover

Texas Rover

Thanks for the input. Yes, I know this is a race forum, but a lot of you know a lot about this motor, I don't. Also I live near Boise Idaho. The motor and tranny are in a short wheel base 1 ton or maybe 1 1/2 ton frame. It also had a Watson 31 M 1 brownie which I pulled, not sure if it was worth pulling, rusty inside but still turns smooth. The truck cab was removed and made into a farm weed sprayer. With a hydraulic pump on the front of the motor, hydraulic tank in front of the radiator, and a spray tank on the back. The frame all looks original for the motor. The motor was complete. It had a interesting three bolt Holley carb. on it. I usually just see 4 bolt. Another question I wanted to ask. On my way out of the scrap yard. I noticed a Detroit straight six with what looks like a blower mounted on the side. It was in a old piece of farm equipment. I did not know that Detroit had blowers for straight six motors. Is that something that could be used?

volvobrynk and kidcampbell71 like this.
  6. manyolcars

manyolcars

7. jimmy six

jimmy six
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

All tin parts interchange with GMC's. 302's normally have very large oil pans and are good to redesign because of their rails. 228-248's have desirable pans along with later 270 pickups. Chev and GMC share timing cover stuff along with distributors and lifters. Steel GMC cams are more valuable than cast iron and were in all military engines. GMC rods are a good addition to a Chev. Stock flywheels are getting harder to find but that can be over come. I never let any of them go 20 yrs ago but I'm more picky now. I probably have 5000 pounds of GMC cast iron and steel stored my garage. Still buying at 72...

gas pumper and 302GMC like this.
  8. junkyardjeff

junkyardjeff

That Clark 5 speed if it has o/d would be something someone with a big truck might be interested in.

volvobrynk likes this.
  9. williebill

williebill

Welcome to the HAMB.

10. pictures....we love pictures !.....kinda helps us visualize.....

volvobrynk likes this.
  11. motion guru

motion guru
    from yacolt, wa

Post at OldGMCTrucks.com and you will find several interested folks . . . If the 5sp is an OD unit and in decent working condition, it's worth 300-500 easy, the aux tranny is also desireable and the 302 is worth 500+ if no cracks

12. sdrodder

sdrodder
    from Houston TX

if its a 302 save it for sure! Those are great motors. The inliners love them and hell id even love to have one. Check out inliners international. A good core motor that turns over if it truly is a 302(check the numbers to the left of the dist the first 3 numbers are displacement) runs around 300-600 dollars. Even if its a 270 its good.

13. Texas Rover.I agree with you on the S.S. Mines disability.Thats why it take so long for me to get parts and paint for my old cars.Wish I still could work.I miss that over time.Bruce. 006.JPG

14. RRichFox

RRichFox

Absolutely save the 302. It's got to be worth $500+ if the head is not cracked. The 302 block is still a worth while find, even if the head is junk. I would have no use for the truck parts. Check on the Inliners International site. Those guys are always looking for 302 GMCs.

15. gatz

gatz

Might be a Detroit Diesel 6-71 that you saw. It was also available in a V configuration; 6V71
    Or, with less displacement (and less common).... 6-53
    The -71 and -53 indicate the displacement per cylinder.
    IIRC, the blower is a Roots type, as opposed to screw-type or turbine.

[​IMG]

They were used in a lot of farm and industrial equipment.
    Being a 2-cycle engine, they were high-revving and noisy.

gas pumper and volvobrynk like this.
  16. RRichFox

RRichFox

[. On my way out of the scrap yard. I noticed a Detroit straight six with what looks like a blower mounted on the side. It was in a old piece of farm equipment. I did not know that Detroit had blowers for straight six motors. Is that something that could be used?[/QUOTE]
    Where do you think 6:71 GMC blowers came from?

Hnstray and volvobrynk like this.
  17. volvobrynk

volvobrynk
    from Denmark

DD 2 cycle is awesome in there own way, and they had slightly more followers world wide then the Flathead Ford V8!! They are cool and I wish I could have one someday, but that is not relevant to the case.
    Noisy, hmm. Those baby can sing, and they are "the Rocky Mountain hummingbird" for a reason, and they need the blower to run, because they are 2 cycle.
    No disrespect meant towards you, just a little (O/T) info added to your post for the OP to enjoy, or forgot, what ever is to his liking.
    I love to own one, but shipping my break my picky bank!

Where do you think 6:71 GMC blowers came from?[/QUOTE]

Give the guy a break, he open hearted came out and said he knew nothing about these engines, nor the blowers.
    And no attitude what so ever! No disrespect meant here either.

I would love some photos and info on the Clark and Brownie box.
    And if they are any good for my purpose, are you willing to ship halfway around the world?

Regarding the 302 jimmy, you came the right place, that poppy is made for some ones build on here.
    They are so cool.

Hnstray and gas pumper like this.
  18. volvobrynk

volvobrynk
    from Denmark

And FYI there is a sh1t load of clarks and Brownie boxes, so all info matters and affects the value.

loudbang likes this.
  19. Has to be 6-71, (unless it is too big to fit in a semi tractor) there were no inline 6-53s, all were v6s. (same with the 92 series)
    BTW the diesel crowd are begging for the small light duty Brownies.

Hnstray, volvobrynk and loudbang like this.
  20. Texas Rover

Texas Rover

Sorry it took so long to get back to you guys. Scrap yard got snowed in right after I started this thread. The Clark 5 speed was not an OD so I left it in the scrap yard, but I did pull the PTO off of it. I did pull the GMC 302. It does turn over by hand. How would I check for cracks without taking the engine apart? The blower was on a Detroit 6-71 and just for giggles I pulled it also. Hard to believe guys put these things on inline 6's. Now just need to figure out where to peddle these things. Just so you all know I live in Idaho, and will ship any where as long as someone else pays for it.

21. Texas Rover

Texas Rover

That looks like the blower, which I went ahead and pulled. Mine has a air breather intake bolted in place of the GM logo plate shown it the picture.

22. Mr48chev

Mr48chev
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

The 302 is worth saving if it isn't broken inside. There is a possibility that it might even be made to run without a lot of trouble if the unit it was on became an obsolete item around someone's farm.
    The blower if you can get it by the pound is at worse an interesting swap meet item and if it isn't torn up inside it may be a decent core to sell to someone to build.