Register now to get rid of these ads!

Folks Of Interest RIP ... Pete Chapouris

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by HEMI32, Jan 6, 2017.

1. safari-wagon

safari-wagon

Fuck! Really?
    Seems just like yesterday that I met him & was talking out on the salt about the little green roadster he just built for his dad. It made him smile like a schoolboy.
    God Speed.

volvobrynk likes this.
  2. bobbytnm

bobbytnm

Sad news indeed
    My thoughts and prayers to the family. He will be missed

Bobby

3. RIP. Limefire, The Kid his Purple convert..................all had a HUGE impact on me in my youth.

4. Solidaxel

Solidaxel

Rejoice in Paradise Pete.
    Your work will live on "forever"

5. Shocking, RIP Pete.

6. brady1929

brady1929

7. McDeuce

McDeuce

RIP .. Gods Speed California Kid

8. David Gersic

David Gersic
    from DeKalb, IL

9. I only knew him in magazines but always an inspiration.

10. My deepest sympathy to his family and friends. Our loss can only be offset by appreciation for what he has done for all of us - inspiration, example, motivation.

11. Showtime

Showtime

such a loss for the hotrod community R.I.P

12. Dad Was A Racer

Dad Was A Racer
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Just this November... Unbelievable.

PB110373.jpg

13. deucemac

deucemac

I first got to meet Peter and Jake when they were hawking their wares from card tables set up at the LA Roadsters show at the Great Western Exhibition Center in the early '70's. A few things that made them great to me was they figured out how to make simple and beautiful parts that worked! The parts were reasonably priced. And most of all Peter and Jakes were and always have been ÙS. No pretenses, no look how cool I am, just Levi and T-shirt wearing rootin' tootin' hot rodders. Living in Socal all my life, I have had many opportunities to talk with Pete. He was always the same down to earth, humble guy. From the card table days up to the last time we talked a few months ago. Peter Chaporis was a real live giant in our hobby. He leaves a bottomless pit in the fabric of hot rodding and in the hearts and minds of all of us that got to meet and enjoy him. I am sad that he is gone but grateful for what he did for every last one of us. R.I.P. Pete and thank you for giving us a terrific 40 plus years of friendship and knowledge.

loudbang, willysguy, The37Kid and 5 others like this.
  14. modelkitbasher

modelkitbasher

R.i.p.Pete last spoke to you down at the world of wheels in kansas city a few years ago.godspeed.

15. Just heard about Pete’s passing. My deepest condolences to his family and loved ones. He was a legend and an inspiration. I know he will be greatly missed.

16. Another member of hot rod royalty gone way too soon. My condolences to his family and friends.
    Vaya con Dios, Mr. Chapouris..........E

17. gnichols

gnichols
    from Tampa, FL

Sad news. But a big thanx for all his contributions, help and influences. Fair winds.... Gary

18. Sad news, condolences to family and friends

19. seb fontana

seb fontana
    from ct

The one and only California Kid..RIP..

20. oldskoolsalt

oldskoolsalt

IMG_0285.JPG Unbelievable!!...Just met him and Alex at the shop before the Hotrod Reunion. One of the most genuine cool car guys of all!!...RIP Pete!! You will be greatly missed!

kiwijeff, volvobrynk and Stogy like this.
  21. lucky ink

lucky ink

22. rush549

rush549
    from Kansas

My first car movie as a kid was "The California Kid". It made quite an impression. I saw it once and remembered the entire story line. My one mistake was that I remembered it being in black and white. I never saw it again till the late 90's. Imagine my surprise. Color!!! I guess I watched it on a black and white TV. Years later I bought my 34' Ford, with a California Kid chop Gibbons body. And a chassis built by Pete himself. In my opinion, that's the coolest thing about the car. Wish I could have met him...
    http://www.hotrod.com/articles/0703rc-1934-ford-coupe/

Baron likes this.
  23. Deuced Up!

Deuced Up!
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Son of a gun... God Speed Sir.

24. The 39 guy

The 39 guy

Unexpected and sad news......RIP Pete. You were an inspiration to many.

25. Baron

Baron
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Sad news. One more of the great Hot Rodders of my generation , gone way too soon. My condolences to his family and friends. RIP

26. Got my distributor spun at Alamo City Speed Shop, and had to run by what would become Vintage Air, Jack Chisenhall in charge. If you know this place, you know a certain grabber blue flamed 40 Ford, and blood red 40 Ford, both coupes. Always there. Decades worth.

Pete'e Burple 40 convertible was out front. Period Hot Rod magazine cover era. I couldn't believe it. The coupes were great, but the Hot Rod magazine burple 40 convertible ? Man my luck.

Walked in, looked around, bearded man with coffee in hand, looking back at me. Pete Chapouris. That's what I said. What are you doing here ? Love your car, sir.

Asked me if I lived here. ( San Antonio, TX ) Yes sir I do. Good, he said. Air conditioning keeps the hair parted. No hats for old guys. What can we do you for ?

Pretty damned cool. Held my distributor, and let me sit in his car. Still have it too. Gonna' drink a beer and talk to it tomorrow. What a great guy. Pete Chapouris, you're the man. I'll never forget you. Vroom, vroom. My ass in your seat. My perfect day.

loudbang, HEMI32, volvobrynk and 2 others like this.
  27. Cyclone Kevin

Cyclone Kevin
    Alliance Vendor

My Buddy Glen who I met thru his owning a Pete & Jake equipped 29 A Roadster and living in San Marino wanted me to send a toast in honor of the President of SO-CAL SPEED SHOP and all of the Weds night "Shop Nights" that we had during the PC3g days into the transition of SO-CAL. IMG_8885.PNG
    IMG_8883.PNG
    Here's to you Pete!!!!!!
    From Glen having one in your honor at the Mt Lowe Brewing Co-Arcadia,CA.

28. guy1unico

guy1unico

Truly I believe in the long run So Cal got him.
    I admire the way he tried to make payroll, deal with very picky people and enjoy the hobby himself...it is super tough to do all three for as long as he did. Sorry to see him pass but in memory of Pete someone better pick up the reins and keep the cylinders popping at So Cal.

loudbang and Baron like this.
  29. Another icon of Hot Rodding leaves us way to soon. RIP Pete. I met Pete and Tony Thacker at the GNRS when it was held at the Cow Palace years ago and after show we went out to eat with them. They treated my wife and I like old friends even though we were just a couple of South Dakota bumpkins. We would stop by at So-Cal and see them at Bonneville over the years. I saw Pete a few years ago when he, Alex Xydias and Billy Gibbons were there for an open house Frank Streff's So-Cal AZ shop. I think I'll go watch my copy of the California Kid.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Jan 6, 2017