Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods Are you able to Drive your hot rod or Custom year round?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by HOTRODPRIMER, Jan 5, 2017.

1. 1936 5W

1936 5W

Yes, as long as there is anti freeze in the cooling system, a heater/defroster that works, and studded snow tires are mounted & installed.

2. raymay

raymay

I keep my cars licensed all year and they all have heat/defrost. Parts of the winter here in Upstate, NY can be messy with the salt they put on the roads. A good rain can clean the roads and give us some clear days during the winter to take a little ride. Sometimes they just like to come out of the barn and idle in the fresh air.

IMG_2456.JPG IMG_2454.JPG

Spooky, Ron Funkhouser and Special Ed like this.
  3. Blue Moon Garage

Blue Moon Garage

Wouldn't know it, hardly ever see a hot rod out in the winter, very few of us die hards around here.

Show up for ROMEO breakfast 2nd Wed or breakfast at Mick's 4th Wed and you will see plenty of Albuquerque hot rods!

4. I'll take mine out on occasion over winter if we get some nice weather.

5. sololobo

sololobo

The streets are drivable a lot of winter days here in Omaha. But the liquid chloride they spray on the road is certain death on an old car. So I drive my old van for the cruel months.

6. MidwestOldie

MidwestOldie

Probably could on occasion, but don't. Winterized and hibernating Nov-April. Wish I could do the same.

7. Year round yes. But never if its raining or snowing. I always check the Doppler Radar, before leaving the house.{ Slicks} lol. 011.jpg Our first snow today. I have heat and A/C. so the wife will go with me. lol Ron

BLUSHU, Spooky, mad mikey and 6 others like this.
  8. When I moved from Montana to Kingman , AZ I sent an email to my buds saying I could drive my roadster 360 days a year . One of me smartass buddies ask about the other 5 days my answer was I'm usually out of town.

57Custom300 and Tman like this.
  9. R A Wrench

R A Wrench
    from Denver, Co

I had my 49 F 1 out the last day of Dec. The temp dropped and we have a bit of snow now but it will hit 50 any day now & the truck will get back on the road.

Montana1 likes this.
  10. Here in Nebraska ya just never know what the weather will be like from one day to the next. It has been cold as all get out for the last week with a skiff of snow. Next week they say it will be in the high 40's and may-be even hit 50. If it does I will get one out and go for a ride....I went for a ride in the coupe a couple days before Christmas last month.....

Ron Funkhouser likes this.
  11. donno21

donno21

Living in Las Vegas my48Merc gets driven regularly. Keep the wiper blades under the seat during monsoon season.

12. desotot

desotot

I drove my 27 rpu for a few winters but because my temperature gauge didn't move, I stopped because I couldn't even get the engine warm enough to open the thermostat, and I didn't even have a fan on the hemi.

13. Ahhh, an amendment to the above ...... nothing is leaving the garage this weekend.

14. 31 steve

31 steve

me and mike and 34.JPG
    We put about 300 miles on the 34 at Christmas but have 7 inches of snow now and I don't think I'll put snow tires on it this year!

15. That's a nice car Steve,are you going to drive it to the Chili Fest at Alan's? HRP

16. b-bob

b-bob

Good news up here, the rain is back. It's pouring out and the snow is melting quickly. Weather man says the warmer weather is coming back, and if it stops raining i will be out putting around.
    The cabin fever was starting to get to me.

falcongeorge likes this.
  17. falcongeorge

falcongeorge
    from BC

North end of the KMS Tools parking lot?:D

18. 19Eddy30

19Eddy30
    from VA

I dive my two Year around , but not in Rain nor Snow , both have No heat .
    32 with Flatty ,30 race motor

Ron Funkhouser likes this.
  19. too many fords

too many fords
    from Las Vegas

Only if it has ac

j3harleys likes this.
  20. 19Eddy30

19Eddy30
    from VA

In Vegas , don't temp fall below 50?
    12 deg hear Now !!!

21. too many fords

too many fords
    from Las Vegas

54 right now :) watch out trying to drive a black car in the summer though

22. gimpyshotrods

gimpyshotrods
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Pacific storms often bring 45-65 MPH wind gusts, and sideways rain. That can make some funky driving of any car, but driving a rod or custom is possible.

23. 19Eddy30

19Eddy30
    from VA

Yes !!! Black on Black Not enjoyable as I've gotten older

j3harleys likes this.
  24. Spooky

Spooky

It was a cold ride, but I took Rita for a hot lap around Vancouver yesterday.

Attached Files:

25. b-bob

b-bob

No it's the Langley Muni parking lot. Next to Sea to Sky Indian Motorcycle dealer in the background in Murrayville.

falcongeorge likes this.
  26. b-bob

b-bob

Oh, i forgot, it's still raining, yay! Washing all the snow away.

falcongeorge likes this.
  27. midroad

midroad

Sure can. No snow here.

28. Yep. Huge p.i.t.a! As I've got older I question myself more why I'm here. We've got a lot of snow this year and it's been pretty cold too. And when it snows, even if it is only a 1/2" the wind blows it into big hard drifts that make travel difficult. Pulling any parts off parts cars is difficult as they are all snowed in or snowed over. And retrieving any more old cars is impossible once the ground frost comes in hard....you can tear a car apart that has been sitting in the ground for years. Ground frost here went 10-12' deep a couple years ago. No bugs etc at all though once winter hits here. I've spent more time fixing and running my tractor and snowblower clearing my yard this year than ever. And that's time I should have been in my shop working on something enjoyable.
    Drive an old vehicle year round here? I likely could if really wanted to be a real die hard, but often times driving my d.d. 4x4 isn't even fun or comfortable. ....the suspension and seats etc get VERY stiff at the Temps we get down to.

29. 57Custom300

57Custom300
    from Arizona

Before I moved here to Kingman people always told me "If it snows and you sleep too late you'll miss it".

30. 31 steve

31 steve

Danny, I sure plan on it if the snow will get out of here !