Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects Grandma's Bullet Bird

Discussion in 'Traditional Customs' started by GNon18s, Dec 3, 2016.

1. GNon18s

GNon18s
    from Pa

Spent New Years eve cutting and modifying a universal 4-link kit I got from Ridetech. I also have all my Ridetech shockwaves now.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

dwollam, Deadbird, Dean Lowe and 3 others like this.
  2. GNon18s

GNon18s
    from Pa

I'll post some more detailed pictures of the new suspension after I get everything fully welded but here is a cool picture I took today with all the new 4-link bars tacked in. No shockwaves were installed in this pic so I'm not sure if it will sit this low but so far everything is tucking nicely!
    [​IMG]

3. BrandonB

BrandonB
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from nor cal

Good looking results of what you've done thus far. How does it run? I never saw a post on starting it up for the first time.

4. GNon18s

GNon18s
    from Pa

I know it probably sounds strange, but I haven't put much effort into getting it running yet. I pulled the spark plugs out and sprayed the cylinders with WD-40. I couldn't get the motor to turn over with a pipe wrench on the crank pulley but it looked like the starter was engaged in the flywheel but I haven't tried to use the starter at all so I need to investigate that further. I've just been focused on getting the rest of the car where I want it. I figure even if I get it started, the engine will probably leak and need to come out to get freshened up.

Karl Schofield likes this.
  5. low budget

low budget
    from Central Ky

Put marvel mystery oil in the cylinders.

6. tommyd

tommyd
    from South Indy

I found a 61 a few weeks ago that is a lot like yours. Sitting inside for 30 years with lots of mice turds flat tires but really good repaint from the early 80's. I could buy it for $2500 but not sure of its value once it was up and running again. Don't think I would want a 390 as a daily driver.

7. Kool old Bird . Gonna look good when your done !

GNon18s likes this.
  8. Cougar67

Cougar67
    from Central VA

You have a fantastic story. Why did your G-G-Mother stop driving it? Were you even alive when she stopped driving? I agree with Low Budget above. Put 1 ounce of Marvel Mystery Oil in each cylinder and let it soak. Some people with locked up engines fill the cylinder with it. Remember WD-40 is a water dispersant not a lube. I have always disliked vinyl roofs so good call. They've been the death (rust) of many cars.

9. That sounds like a really sweet deal. I'm glad it isn't around here, I promised myself I'm not dragging anything home in 2017. 61 Birds and Lincolns are great looking cars.

10. GNon18s

GNon18s
    from Pa

She told me she stopped driving it because she aquired a Ford Ranchero to haul antiques. She was an antique trader. She went on to tell me she bought the car in 71' when my great uncle came home from Vietnam. She and my uncle were out car shopping for him when she saw the Tbird and bought it for herself and my Uncle got a 65' Mustang which has long been sold. By 74' the Tbird was parked and I was born in 81'.

Cougar67 and Hotdoggin DaddyO like this.
  11. IronFord

IronFord
    from NoDak

I'm glad you were able to get the car. It will be awesome when it's done. Do you know what the factory color is called?

12. Deadbird

Deadbird

If it's not rusty, buy it!

13. gdaddy

gdaddy
    from nw fl.

I would want a 390 for every day

dwollam likes this.
  14. Latigo

Latigo

Really a great project. Love to have a Tbird like yours. Great to see the kids involved.

GNon18s likes this.
  15. loudbang

loudbang

You had me stuck on it until the extreme lowering which isn't my style.

16. GNon18s

GNon18s
    from Pa

Im not sure what they call this original color. Im planning on driving it the way it is for a while with the exception of painting the roof which I've already finished.

17. GNon18s

GNon18s
    from Pa

Sorry to lose you. Maybe I'll win you back when its aired up to ride height! In all seriousness, I'm in the mockup stage of a custom suspension so I need to cycle it through its range of travel to check for clearance issues, pinion angle changes, ect. Final stance can be determined later and will be fully adjustable with the air. Im also aware im posting on a forum where not everybody likes air, and thats ok too.

18. It appears to be Champagne Gold Poly (Metallic) - data plate code "I" - used '62-'63 T-birds, Fords, Fairlanes, Mercurys and Lincolns.

19. jvpolvere1

jvpolvere1

I refer to myself as an equal opportunity car collector. I have hot rods, customs, sports cars, antiques and trucks. From bone stock to very modified. I see my 64 custom belair going air suspension in the future. Just not budgeted.
    I'm good with your mods for reasons you stated.
    Good work,
    Jim

Sent from my SM-T377V using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

GNon18s likes this.
  20. Deadbird

Deadbird

I've never really been into this vintage of Ford, but have always liked the lines of the bullet birds. My son bought a 62 a few years ago and it's really a sweet ride. The car drives like a dream and just loves the open road. This summer he shaved the Thunderbird script off the front fenders and the fake louver things off the quarter panels. Really cleaned up the lines.

tbird.jpg

I'm liking where you're headed with yours. Pretty sure my boy would too. Maybe he'll get on here and comment too.

By the way, did the Caddy bullet just fit in the tail light like it does on a Falcon? It's a nice touch. Just a little more flame out of the after burners.

dwollam likes this.
  21. GNon18s

GNon18s
    from Pa

If I paint mine down the road I will remove the rear fender trim for sure. Good eye on the Caddy tail light. I bought a set to try out but I just had it held in place with tape on one side to see if I liked it. I have too much to do right now to play with the taillights so I'll have to get back to that later.

22. GNon18s

GNon18s
    from Pa

Here's my new rear suspension welded up and ready for paint/powder coat. The curved bar will get welded between the frame rails. It's based off the design Ridetech uses on some of there kits and at least one other bullet bird I have seen done similar.
    [​IMG]

23. Looks good

GNon18s likes this.
  24. low budget

low budget
    from Central Ky

I bet you will be the envy of other family members who knew about the car but wont understand what all you had to do to make it as nice as its gonna be, There will probably be some that thinks you just washed it off and put a new battery and gas in it and drove off into the sunset:D
    I like it and think what you did with the top made it a different, lot more likeable car;)

GNon18s and loudbang like this.
  25. dwollam

dwollam

I had a '62 Bird many years ago. One thing I really liked about the car was it's balance. At ANY speed, you could slam on the brakes and it never swerved. Always a straight line whether sliding or just stopping. Another thing I liked was the sliding steering column. Cool cars, and yours is right there at the top already!

Dave

GNon18s likes this.
  26. TurboRider

TurboRider

Great job! Excited to see the final outcome of this build.

27. Frank280ZX

Frank280ZX
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Wageningen
    1. A-D Truckers

T birds are a weak spot to me! always have been since i was a kid.. i love what you are doing to it! making the familly piece stand out with attitude

GNon18s likes this.
  28. Glad to hear that I know she is smiling and I hope every mile you drive it you think of her.

GNon18s likes this.
  29. GNon18s

GNon18s
    from Pa

Here's how I beefed up the unibody with 3/16" plate where the shockwaves will mount.
    [​IMG]

tomkelly88 likes this.
  30. GNon18s

GNon18s
    from Pa

I hit the undercarriage with a wire wheel and slopped on some black rustoleum for protection. The suspension parts are either painted with SEM trim black or powder coated.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

bobss396, Kustom Cline and tomkelly88 like this.