Register now to get rid of these ads!

History NHRA Super Stock tables - 1961-68

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by The Rat Patrol, Jul 4, 2016.

1. The Rat Patrol

The Rat Patrol
    from Australia

Hi All

This is my first post on this board - but I certainly DO know how much valuable information is stored and posted on here.

I am in the process of finishing a project that's taken me close to 12 mths off and on.

I am compiling a list of the NHRA top stock and eliminator class winners from 1961-68..and I'm at a point where I am ready to 'publish' on my blog.

Thing being...there may be members on here who can contribute to my research...so I'm going to release the results year by year.

As such, I've posted a link to my first table - 1961.

If you can help with pictures or information..please feel free. I'll keep a close I on this thread.

Just TWO things.

- This is NHRA ONLY...so please don't confuse other championships...

- Please only provide feedback if you're mighty sure of your facts. The sources I've used include HAMB, and various respected publications..so no wild guesses :)

LINK is at the bottom of this thread.

While I'm at it - thanks to the admin of this site...I couldn't have gotten half the pics I did without some excellent threads on this forum.

Mal Venn
    Melbourne
    Australia

https://skunwerksmoparsuperstock.wordpress.com/

Last edited: Jul 4, 2016
    wraymen likes this.
  2. The Rat Patrol

The Rat Patrol
    from Australia

Can anyone add to this - 1961

(Mopar had no production car in 61 that met SS ratings)

Winternationals Pomona

Mr Stock Eliminator Dyno Don Nicholson defeated Frank Sanders (Chev) 61 White Chevy Impala 409 Dual Quad 13.59 @ 105.88

S/S Super Stock Eliminator Arnie Beswick 61 Pontiac Venture – Passionate Poncho 389 Dual Quad - Defeated who?

S/S Super Stock Frank Sanders defeated Don Nicholson (Chev) 61 Red Chevy Biscayne 348 Dual Quad 13.63 @ 105.26

S/SA Super Stock Auto Lloyd Cox 61 Pontiac Ventura 348 Tri Power - Defeated who?

A/S Stock
    Bill Patterson 60 Chevy Impala SS 348 Dual Quad 13.88 @ 103.44 - Defeated who?

Indy Nationals

Top Stock Eliminator Don Nicholson (DisQual) defeated Al Ekstrand (Dodge) 61 Chevy Impala 409 Dual Quad (DQ) Disqual

Optional Super Stock O/SS Hayden Proffitt defeated Dave Strickler (Chev) 61 Pontiac Catalina 421 Super Duty DQ 12.55 @ 110.29

Optional Super Stock Auto O/SSA Don Turner Ford Starliner 390 3x2V - Defeated who?

Super Stock Auto S/SA Carol Cox 61 Pontiac Ventura 389 Super Duty 3x2V 13.68 @ 106 - Defeated who?

Super Stock S/S
    Arnie Beswick (Disqual) defeated Mickey Thompson (Pontiac) Pontiac Ventura – Passionate Poncho 389 Super Duty 3x2V DQ

Stock/Auto A/SA Ray Christian defeated Bud Faubel 60 Plymouth Fury Long Ram 413 14.24 @ 98.9

Stock A/S
    Frank Dade 61 Dodge Long Ram 413 14.51 @ 101.25 - Defeated who?

3. WerbyFord

WerbyFord

Rat,
    This is AWESOME stuff and valuable history.
    I am tracking it with my own database, filling in a few etc.
    I am trying to Gonkulate all these cars, seeing how things match up with their real et/mph.

One spot I am having trouble with the combo:
    At the 1962 winternats you (and Larry Davis pg48) show Jess Tyree winning S/S=9.90 with a 13.11
    I cant figure out what combo that was!
    His car was indeed a 62 Cat hardtop VIN=79757 (unless he had ANOTHER car....) but all the records of that car and your own picture link show it as a 421/405 car. That would sure not fit in S/S=9.90.

Even the 389sd/385hp doesnt fit:
    3728/385 = 9.68 which is too light for S/S=9.90.

Maybe somebody else has some insight on this.
    Keep up the great work it is helpful and thanks.

EDIT
    http://bangshift.com/bangshift1320/...er-and-straight-line-pioneer-jess-tyree-dies/

Reading the link (we are losing so many!) I wonder if Jess even HAD this car as of Feb 1962 or had it ready. It makes me wonder if he ran a 1961 389/368hp SD car at the 1962 Winternats - that would fit the S/S=9.90 class obviously.

Last edited: Jan 4, 2017
  4. WerbyFord

WerbyFord

Rat - One more suggestion on your 1963 tables (I await the other years!!!)

I think the NHRA DQ rule was really stupid. The winner cheats, so the R/U is also DQ? No logic.
    In that sense, you might list the car/et/mph of the R/U if known. Prince turned a 12.03 losing to Sanders illegal 12.01,so I would list Prince's 12.03 since he was the actual winner if you discount the NHRA nonsense logic.

Similarly, Ed Martin's Ford "won" vs Barker's illegal Mopar - hey, Ford has so few wins in here, give em a break. I cant find Martin's et/mph, but at that time the Lightweight Galaxies were turning low-12s at 116-118mph.

I grew up Ford but still have a love/hate relationship with them, because they really ignored their customers on the street - and also tended to bungle when they DID have a winning combo:

The 1961 Ford 390HiPo was a great engine - except that Ford put a 3-on-the-tree behind it, and didnt offer an automatic at all (the cam is PLENTY tame for an auto car). And just when the 390HiPo got a 4speed, Ford ditched its excellent cylinder heads and lost the ball.

The 1963 Ford 427 LoRiser not only won the Daytona 500 etc, but also won S/S at the 1963 Indy Nats in my mind since Barker was DQ. And, this is (sadly) the last time until 1969 that Ford actually offered a winning big block in enough quantity that you could actually go BUY one. About 4000 Ford 427 LoRiser cars were made that year. A whole lot more than the Z11 or the MaxWedge.

But Ford put a stop to that too. Ford's winning engine of 1964, the 427 HiRiser (that will be in your 1964 table I assume) was never available to the public customer period. 150 HiRiser cars were built (100 Tbolts and 50 LW Galaxies), all went right to racers.

So I think it's all the more important to mark Ford's moment of glory when Martin SHOULD HAVE been acknowledged as the S/S winner at 1963 Indy. Your call of course, the tables you're doing are in a great summary format and much appreciated.

Last edited: Jan 5, 2017
  6. gtxxjon

gtxxjon

Nice thread Rat Patrol.
    Dino Don was beaten in a grudge race in 61 by the Lawman.
    That was the day that Mopar got serious about Drag racing...
    The rest is history lol.

wraymen likes this.
  7. gtxxjon

gtxxjon

My mate lucked into a 63 loriser 427 here in the UK.
    Then twenty years later, I lucked into a 62 413 Max wedge.

Never say never...:rolleyes:

8. Thanks for posting and bringing this back up, great stuff!

9. bschwoeble

bschwoeble

1964 Nationals. Hooked up the race car in the parking garage downtown Indy. While there, we got to talking to a guy that had won class in his Pontiac. He was disqualified for, as I recall, a cylinder head out of spec. Can't remember his name. It might/should be in the record. The win was given to runner-up. I think.