Register now to get rid of these ads!

HUBBA HUBBA my 32-4 Tudor tribute to Gramps

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by Runnin shine, Jul 15, 2015.

1. CURSED GEARS

CURSED GEARS

Nice drawing. I like the appearance of your potential seat.

volvobrynk and Runnin shine like this.
  2. Runnin shine

Runnin shine

[​IMG]

I hope all ye hot rod hoarders have a happy new year!

I started painting my 1932 plate today so I must have a sliver of optimism

Sent from my iPhone using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

dumprat, Tim and loudbang like this.
  3. Runnin shine

Runnin shine

Got lock out today
    [​IMG]
    I now assume that these little plugged holes have to do with the tumblers.
    One tiny spring came out and one is missing. Should I actually search the grass outside or can I get a spring easy enough?
    Kinda dorky but I had to set one of my awesome original door handles in there.

Green main license plate color is on and my wife will help me with putting white on the raised surfaces with her mad printing press skills.
    Now on to WWII bomber seat belt rebuilds, safety first

Tim and kidcampbell71 like this.
  4. Wyatt,
    Got it in the mail just before we had to split to go see the kids for the holidays. I thought they were coming here, but we ended up going to there place. Back home how so I will finish up working on the grill and get you a photo.....BIG ASS THANKS GUY!!!!
    Happy New Year.

5. Runnin shine

Runnin shine

Now I was going to try and be mature and save a post on this topic until I had completed something substantial. Sometimes though I get like a school boy opening his first passed note requiring him to check one of two boxes.
    I'm sure most of you have experience with pondering over the significance of physically handling all of these small parts that to me speak so much of history worthy of remembrance. I have been purchasing these types of parts this whole build. Most of it on purpose through wanting true pieces with history, soul, age, or "patina". I collect these older things to help as a guide to how I will balance out my car's completed cohesiveness. As apposed to just entirely pulling out of thin air a fake old theme. All of this though is limited or governed by my nonexistent stainless-chainer budget. At the risk of building a totally "homogenized" traditional hot rod as I told Ford Mike the other day, I am going ahead with the aircraft style seats as I enlightened all of you recently, and WWII 3" seat belts too. Again to those who follow you may notice the elevation of ideas I steadily take out of control during such a long drawn out project. I have a plagued history with this sort of thing, my apologies sirs.
    A year ago I envisioned a more refined interior. But that was a couple inches of chop, 3/8s inches of stroke, a couple gallons of paint, 20 gallons of molasses, and zero money for overpriced garnish moldings ago.
    Well in the spirit of my labor and time over diminishing my net worth quest... ol' Wyatt will be threading the bobbin and needle on this one. I bought the NOS parts to assemble a second seat belt to go with a complete old crappy original fighter/bomber belt. The intact first one looks like it spent its second life in a bulldozer or a dirt track car. Never in my wildest dreams did I think I'd one day be taking simple green and scrub brush to a vintage warbird seat belt. It felt fairly strange. I did this to remove as much gunk as possible to get down to the best honest remaining color of what's left. I want to best match what I have when ordering new webbing for my second belt. It looks like I might go with olive green then start to mildly bleach and later stain up the new belt to give it some character. I now think I'm leaving the first alone since it cleaned up a lot but still looks old. Lots of stains came out and the one noticeable one left appears to be blood that seemed to be coming out before I stopped, how cool, I'll leave it. I'll just put this one on the drivers side and let it seem that it sustained more use. All the hardware for the second looks much nicer regardless of what I'll do to distress the belt strap. This one alone has become one of my favorite tidbits of this insane project. I've come to realize what I'm hunting after with all this nitpicking. I want something in my eyes that is equal to any of the builds out there that I've takin inspiration from. I know most wont dig on this car for a multitude of reasons but the main one being the lack of "show" shine and newness then there's the fake aging to blend everything together. But this kinda of look right here moves me and seems in the realm of art.

[​IMG]
    After extensive cleaning and still damp
    I love these things!
    [​IMG]
    This buckle looks just like the NOS adjusters I have too. I need the little cloth pull tabs. I dig up in the attic and see if I can rob those pieces off some old surplus bags of my father that I have. I have to make the 1/4 end brackets though. No biggie, should be fun. So after I get the strap webbing purchased I think I'll just be under a 100 on these. If you seen what some sets go for, I mean stupid 32 grill shell money, I think these will keep me a aluminum or lead-chainer.

Last edited: Jan 4, 2017
  6. CURSED GEARS

CURSED GEARS

Cool belts. Makes you wonder whose waist they were around, and when and what they were in. (If all that makes sense)

Runnin shine likes this.
  7. Really dig the belt Wyatt...

Runnin shine likes this.
  8. Runnin shine

Runnin shine

Dug this one the best of the bags I had stashed from my old mans soldier of fortune subscription days.
    [​IMG]
    I wanted to steal a few inches of the skinny strap for the adjusters on the second seat belt I'm assembling. Upon further analysis it doesn't seem to be close enough to the ones on the originals. I'll continue the search. If I can't come up with a reasonable solution by the time the car is done maybe I'll concede.
    Now I think I'll use this bag in the car to have a piece of my family in Hubba Hubba. It's not much and me and the old man were at War forever but I remember this bag going way back on most of our hunting or target practice trips. Plus I won't have a glove box or trunk in the car for stuff. We all know how much loose junk can start to accumulate in an otherwise tidy car, especially with the wife or kids around. I'm always reminded of my wife's lack of give a shit factor for cars when she questions my taking time to pause our travels to discard anything that's accumulated in my car that doesn't belong there and is no longer in use or going to be.
    Maybe I'll just clip it on the back of a front seat and it can still be portable. "Anyone need a baby wipe?" I think it's roughly the same width as the seats will be. Might go well with the WWII canteen I got that I have no idea what to use it for, spare engine coolant?
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    I know this military theme gets a little old and cliche but it just works so well for the era of my build. Plus now I'm putting a Warbird ignition switch in the for anticipation of running a dual coil setup for spark duties(or dual magnetos like the switch says, ). It also just brings a air of toughness and solemn or somber feeling I'm assuming when taking the car in, is this cheating? I don't know.
    Oh did I ever put a pic up of the flash light I bought last year to clip under the steering column?
    [​IMG]
    Yep, just like it the movie Gremlins, I got gizmos.lol
    Time to make some subrails and quit playing around.

Last edited: Jan 4, 2017
    volvobrynk and Stogy like this.
  9. jerseyboy

jerseyboy

Runnin, nice nick nacks! Why not use the canteen for overflow on your radiator?

Runnin shine likes this.
  10. Runnin shine

Runnin shine

I new it wouldn't take long for someone to chime in on that. My answer is it's been done a fare amount before and I already have a cool late 40s Green River soda pop bottle reserved for that. I described this long winded reason in a post a while ago. Not that I'd ever recommend that someone read back through this horrible thread. It's only slightly tolerable one post at a time.
    [​IMG]
    And astute sleuths will see on the right my cool guy name drop in this pic.

Last edited: Jan 5, 2017
    brEad likes this.
  11. dumprat

dumprat
    from b.c.

Why not eschew the usual use of military parts as car parts and use them as they were indeed intended? As you mentioned a canvas bag attached to the back of the drivers seat makes and excellent glove box and a canteen with the correct canvas pouch will keep water cool longer than a plastic bottle rolling around on the floor.

Besides over use of mill spec parts leads to olive drab painted hot rods with invasion stars painted on the doors. Which is terribly tasteless.

12. 32Tudor396

32Tudor396

Suarez head screws,early Canadian A's and late T's had them. Pat'n in Canada.

Sent from my SM-G930W8 using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

Runnin shine likes this.
  13. Runnin shine

Runnin shine

Matt I totally agree with how it gets tasteless. Me and you are usually on the same page. Would you believe the first thought I had for this thing when I got it was to use the thing for drinking water on the drive? I even have a set of vintage anodized aluminum cups because they remind me of visiting great grandma down on the farm.
    Sadly I hate drinking water and only force myself to do so while taking care of my singing voice when I'm actually invested in performing or back when I was chasing the dream of being a professional motocross racer. Since neither of those things are happening these day, I only drink maybe two plastic bottles a week, if I make it to the gym. I have finally quit pouring multiple cans of Dr.P down my belly all day. I think I was self medicated after never achieving athletic or musical greatness, maybe I should've drank more water?
    It's alright though I'm pretty morbid about droppin dead from the big C these days.
    Now back to my soon to be world, scratch that, neighborhood, oh scratch that, street, I mean driveway famous hot rod.

Last edited: Jan 5, 2017
    jerseyboy, volvobrynk and dumprat like this.
  14. Love your build, work ethic, and this thread. You seem to be a class act. I'm subscribed.

volvobrynk and Runnin shine like this.
  15. Runnin shine

Runnin shine

[​IMG]
    Thanks again Tony for the 36 drive shaft pieces! With what I had and yours I now have 42"s of loud race pipes per side.
    I went out to clean on the garage and couldn't take moving these pieces around anymore. Still have to grind the welds down at least on the visible outsides.

loudbang likes this.
  16. Glad I could help out!
    I read the post and at first wondered if you meant me!
    Then I remembered!
    CRS is a pain in the ass!
    All the best, lookin' good!

loudbang and Runnin shine like this.
  17. Byakk0

Byakk0

take that lock cyl to a locksmith and see what they can do for you about the missing spring and tumbler. With that code, they may be able to cut a new key.

Runnin shine and loudbang like this.
  18. CURSED GEARS

CURSED GEARS

Shine, I once stopped by Haley's Lock and key on Earl Ave and asked if they could re-key a cylinder for me. They advised they could. Never got it done though for what ever reason. Might give them a try.

Runnin shine likes this.
  19. Good one!!! But I do enjoy at looking at all the other trinkets ya have stashed on the shelf....as far as the over flow bottle being from Nebraska I would go with the BIG RED one....and as for the GI Joe canteen....fill it up with some S&J rum for those times when a guy just needs to have a drink...
    Keep it going as I love what ya got going on....

Runnin shine likes this.
  20. Runnin shine

Runnin shine

Thanks, the Big Red is for my PU. Its either the first or second thing I bought for it. Iv'e been storing red coolant for awhile now too, can't have the green or orange stuff in there.
    "Long live the Mayor!"

21. Runnin shine

Runnin shine

Would someone please help me with the dimensions for 34 Tudor roof slats? I am having no luck and need and want to make them asap.

22. Runnin shine

Runnin shine

The trouble with "cleaning" the garage is seeing all the crap I've been collecting for this thing. So I get sidetracked of course. Fiddled around with my dash tunnel gauge situation some. I want to run this 40 starter button because I like the uniformity of the red/brown button with the 34s throttle and choke knobs I'll use.
    [​IMG]
    It has a cheap stainless flange that doesn't mesh well with its neighbors and is a little too wide to fit inside the trim ring once in the dash. I could use this amber glass warning light in its place.
    [​IMG]
    But I already have the cool large red jewel light for oil pressure warning that will go in the 3w dash's cigar lighter hole.
    [​IMG]

I hope Matt won't mind that I'm using this warbird mag switch for my ignition kill above the windshield. The key in the column will be active too but I want turn off the car like it's some cool ordeal. One perk of the severe chop will be not having to look up or reach very far,lol.
    [​IMG]
    Be nice to have two magnetos with this but I can't afford that stuff. Maybe some crappy Lucas ignition at best. I will build my own header cover and put it in the center with the amp and fuel gauge at its sides. I then need to get a 2" Punch/Flare tool for putting holes across the hole thing. I got this inspiration from the holes Henry had in the roof brace. I've also been wanting to add more holes to the top of my inner door skin and the rear panels that the quarter window regulators bolt to. I don't think I'm going to run full interior for some time so I want to enhance the way the tin looks inside.

Last edited: Jan 7, 2017
  23. dumprat

dumprat
    from b.c.

I don't mean me at all, just don't go painting the thing od green

Runnin shine likes this.
  24. DAM! Wyatt I like what you are doing with your dash plans. Great minds think alike as I was looking through your goodies photo I spotted the red jewel & said that would be cool in my 3 window dash where the lighter went....Then you post that is what you are doing with it....I sure would try and use the starter button as it is so cool also....

Runnin shine likes this.
  25. Runnin shine

Runnin shine

We've only one life to live and time is short. I'd like to tell anyone who is trollin here and wants to take the traditional plunge to do it. I'm not even close to finished on either of my two current builds. Yet I still find it very rewarding and basically a hoot. It's very addictive and you just keep wanting more and more. As a perfect example I think I've gone completely kookoo. I've been working myself up to the idea with only a day of loose research that I can build my own Harmon Collins dual coil clone setup. Just me in the garage with a block of CE phenolic, some aircraft mag points, a couple Ford coils, and some good old hand tools. Yep I've officially gone CRAZY, traditionally speaking

Last edited: Jan 9, 2017
    brEad and loudbang like this.
  26. Runnin shine

Runnin shine

Sheets of 14 gauge showed up this evening so now it will soon shift to sub rail showdown. You know what that means? Well it means I shortly will start stitching this damn morphadite together, shucks.

slv63, dumprat and Tim like this.
  27. Runnin shine

Runnin shine

Bruce will probably get a kick out of this. That darn Dave York has my license plate light and Hypersonic's tailpipes on his roadster. A perfect car if ask me,period
    [​IMG]

kidcampbell71 and Stogy like this.
  28. That's why I don't show what I'm doing any more. Some guys are just faster than us with our ideas.:D:rolleyes:He even drilled holes in his bracket like you. I wish my body was as nice as his;););););):oops::oops: Do you have a full picture of that car? Maybe I can copy something of his....like his top.

29. Runnin shine

Runnin shine

[​IMG]
    Bruce you've asked others about this car before. I've been in love with it since Cam pulled it out of a barn in the maple leaf. My mother in law gets me a subscription to Hot Rod which I personally wouldn't waste my precious coin on. I only thumb through each issue and cut out any cool traditional pics to save for my garage collage collection. The previous post was because it's in this months current delivery.
    This one with my phone of the magazine shows the badass side curtains
    [​IMG]