Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects New guy new project

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by Lake Modified, Jan 4, 2017.

1. Lake Modified

Lake Modified

All deleted....

Last edited: Mar 4, 2017
  2. paul55

paul55
    from michigan

Never too late! Looks like a neat project. Go to the photoshop thread and see if one of the guys can put it all together for ya, for incentive.

3. Raiman1959

Raiman1959

Welcome to the HAMB....lot of us were 'late starters' on our own car builds (I started at 53)....life has a way of 're-directing' our dreams into other priorities over the years... however, when it's time to start building, ...it's time to build!;):D Lot of guys here can help with your questions in the process...have fun!

bct likes this.
  4. low budget

low budget
    from Central Ky

Sounds like you have the main ingredient you need to build it....The want to;)

Last edited: Jan 4, 2017

5. bostonhemi

bostonhemi
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Sounds like a great project.

6. spinout

spinout
    from Dallas, TX

If you are a true car nut......you never outgrow it.......

7. oldsjoe

oldsjoe

Welcome aboard Scott lot's to learn here, some of these guy's are down right smart! Sounds like your on the right path knowing it isn't an overnight success project! Good luck and keep us posted with lot's of pictures! Joe

8. greeting(s) to the board ....

9. lodaddyo

lodaddyo

Welcome! Good luck with your project. Not sure on those front brakes but the rear is upside down 40 ford brakes

10. Deuced Up!

Deuced Up!
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Welcome to the HAMB.

11. 41 C28

41 C28

Hello and welcome. Sounds like a cool project. I always waned to build a race car looking roadster with the exhaust going up along the body. Keep the pictures coming, we love pictures.

12. HipCat427w

HipCat427w

That thing will be cool...

13. firebrrat

firebrrat
    from Payson Az

Rear are flipped 40s. Here is a pic of my 40s the same way. [​IMG]

Sent from my SM-G900V using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

14. lodaddyo

lodaddyo

Clearance for the wheel cylinder. If you dont move them the wheel cylinder will hit the spring perch

15. spurgeonforge

spurgeonforge

Looks like it's going to be a cool build.

16. welcome and cool your getting started on a wish.....

17. joeycarpunk

joeycarpunk
    from MN,USA

Welcome to the h.a.m.b. and good luck with your project.

1927graham likes this.
  18. firebrrat

firebrrat
    from Payson Az

So when you flip them you put the backing plate rt on the left and lt on rt then flip them you keep the wheel cylinders on the side they should be on, with the bleeder up like it should be you need to drill one hole and do a little cutting. The shoes have to be flipped. So if your going to do this you NEED to lay it all out on a table before you start so you have it set up. The 40s will fit up front but you need to get a little spacer. You can get them from most of the Model parts catalogs Macs, Mikes model As.
    So the first pic if the backing plate was on you can see it would be right up to the spring perch. Next photo is it all on the table. Last you can see how close the wheel cylinder would be if it was on top. If I got them in the right order.. [​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

Nailhead A-V8 likes this.
  19. firebrrat

firebrrat
    from Payson Az

If you youtube this it will help you understand better than me typing it for you [​IMG]

Nailhead A-V8 likes this.
  20. waxhead

waxhead
    from West Oz

Welcome to the HAMB. Interested to see this build take shape.

21. manyolcars

manyolcars

Welcome to this traditional hotrod forum. Everything looks good except traditional hotrods didnt use 6 cylinder engines. Henry did not like 6 cylinder engines. Lots of guys on this forum will argue but those guys have no idea what a traditional hotrod was. Some even think an International truck could be used.

22. dwollam

dwollam

My '29 AV8, my '31 coupe and a friends '29 pickup all have 40 brakes on A axles and none of them are flipped upside down or rotated. None of them hit the shackle. Pretty tight bend on the brake tube but not that difficult. There is some other trimming and notching needed but that is the same right side up or upside down.

Dave

23. Sounds like a fun build.

24. BrerHair

BrerHair
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Plenty of 4-bangers in the early days, especially pre-war, but very few 6-cylinders. One of Don Montgomery's books does list a few of them, Les Bock's Modified with a 226 cid Ford 6, Keith Loomis' 27 T with a Chevy-6, and Don Nicholson's '27 T track roadster with a 6-cylinder Wayne Chevy engine. They were as rare as some other mills like Marmon 16-cylinders and straight 8's.

But like you say, don't get hung up on semantics, chase your vision. Welcome aboard and good luck!

[​IMG]
    Above pic from kurtis on 1940s period correct thread.

kiwijeff likes this.
  25. Welcome aboard the HAMB....
    Nice project and yep it's never too late. I was past 60 when we started or 32 project. Took four years but it's on the road!
    I like it. Especially your old photo.... Keep us posted.........

26. The rears are upside down early Ford '39-40 juice.

27. Henry Bennett

Henry Bennett

Welcome to HAMB,and have fun.

28. firebrrat

firebrrat
    from Payson Az

So all model A frames have a serial number " now a days called the vin"and that is what's used as the ID number when you register the car. Not the motor number. The number on the motor was/ is for dating the motor and tracking. So the best thing to do is find the number on the frame it should be under the cowl area. Then find out what year your frame is. Then get in the Mac's model a parts book and order the right year ID tag and put your frame number on it and put that on the cowl then go register your ride.. if you have questions hit me up. I'm the guy that told you about the brakes flipped over. Oh and something my dad always says with model As if you run in to problems. "We hadn't gone to the moon yet John do it the way it makes sense and your probably right"
    John.

29. firebrrat

firebrrat
    from Payson Az

Ps one other thing that is easy move your front cross member forward a few inches that will give you more room for the 6 cylinder and make your engine look centered in the compartment and you won't have to cut up the fire wall as bad.. to me it doesn't look right when guy cut the fire wall and shove in a motor to fit then have room up front and nothing is centered. It's a easy thing when you have a bare frame and your starting out. It will look better I think in the end and it won't take much work now.

30. TurboRider

TurboRider

Good luck with your build. Hope you can update us about this project