Register now to get rid of these ads!

Folks Of Interest vintage kart id help

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by bill schoenbach, Jul 22, 2014.

1. bill schoenbach

bill schoenbach

Have a late 50s early 60s Rupp kart. Can't narrow down what it is. I'm into off road karts. I don't want to make a yard kart out of this.

Attached Files:

2. VoodooTwin

VoodooTwin
    from Noo Yawk

I believe that it's a Rupp Lancer GT. I gave the same kart.

[​IMG]

3. bill schoenbach

bill schoenbach

Do you know the year? Were they good karts? It's been welded twice, by engine mount and axle plate.

4. VoodooTwin

VoodooTwin
    from Noo Yawk

Not sure, guessing late 60's/early 70's? Great karts, mine was welded in a few spots too......apparently by Ray Charles with a thing for a stick welder. I cut a lot of it out and tig'd it properly. As you can see, I stuck a lawn mower engine on it. Having a tough time finding a proper McCulloch engine for it.

5. Im thinking Rupp d300 fun kart

loudbang likes this.
  6. boogeracng

boogeracng
    from Eureka,MO

Rupp D300 "fun kart." Not a Lancer....difference in the steering shaft support. Fixed motor mount on left side is the give away that it's a 300. Change the mount and a couple of other small items, it becomes a Rupp A Bone, the lowest level of Rupp's true race kart. The equal length steering tie rods if original make it post 1964......probably '64-'66 vintage.

7. bill schoenbach

bill schoenbach

What do you think it's worth as it is? I live in Detroit and ride off road karts in vacant lots,make dirt tracks. Should I build this into one? Would it flip over?

8. Unless you have real smooth dirt I would keep it on asphalt. I dont think it would flip, just drift, but you dont have a lot of ground clearence.

9. VoodooTwin

VoodooTwin
    from Noo Yawk

Yeah, those frames were built for smooth asphalt, not rough terrain.

As is, bare frame with weld issues? Not more than $75 I'd guess.

10. Hellfish

Hellfish

Definitely not 70s. By then most karts had converted to side mounted engines.

As for price, I can only say that Rupps are popular. $75 is probably on the far low end of the range. You have the steering wheel and upholstery. Everything else can be easily sourced. Definitely do not use it as a yard kart! Those are easy to come by cheap. I'm sure you could find someone to trade one for the Rupp.

11. this kart isn't made for big guys...rupps of this area anyway
    ask me how I know
    seems that I run into a lot of rupp karts also. if it had the turbin wheels and original steering wheel it would be a plus
    hell slap her together an come out to the white knuckle scramble
    tk

12. bill schoenbach

bill schoenbach

I'm soooooo confused, I'm looking for a Manco Fox Vortex,or Xlt. If anyone wants what I have, also have brake drum assembly, with sprocket attached. I'll trade for a kart with roll cage, suspension, can be a bare frame or roller. Thanks for all the great input,I've been sitting on it for awhile.

13. woodiewagon46

woodiewagon46
    from New York

While we are on the subject of vintage go karts, can anyone tell me where I can get parts for a kart, that I would like to restore. The kart has a decal on the floor which reads "Kody-Kart", K-D Mfg. Co., Quincy, Fla.

14. bill schoenbach

bill schoenbach

I found parts at bmi , they have decent selection and prices.

15. Hellfish

Hellfish

Are you looking for original/reproduction parts, or just something that will work? If you're looking for just what will work, there are GOBS of kart suppliers online, from Northern Tool to Old Minibike Warehouse, but one of the biggest suppliers is Comet Kart.

If you're looking for more specific stuff, try a vintage kart forum, like VintageKarts.com. That's a very active forum.

16. found and sold this kart....to a guy that had one in 1960.....kinda scary.....but I had to buy it....

Attached Files:

17. skyler

skyler

Could anyone ID this kart by chance. Besides the motor lol and the seat. Any thoughts or 20150915_225636.jpg 20150915_225403.jpg 20150915_225636.jpg 20150915_225403.jpg info on the frame would be great! Thanks 20150915_225636.jpg

Attached Files:

18. SaltCoupe

SaltCoupe
    from Indiana

Can anyone i.d. this kart? my go kart.jpg

19. Hellfish

Hellfish

The last 2 pictured look like fun karts, not real racing karts, and not that old. The one posted by Skyler has side & rear guards that look like it had a fiberglass body mounted to it. The front/rear guards on the last one are usually not on vintage race karts but are on rental karts. I could be wrong though. There are a few vintage kart forums out there that could tell you a lot more.

20. SaltCoupe

SaltCoupe
    from Indiana

Somebody on a vintage kart forum just informed me that the wheels are Hands wheels and were commonly used on early Bug karts. So that's pretty cool.