Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects 53 Studebaker Coupe Southeast Gasser Build and 1950 Buick Sedan

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Fiddle Picker, Dec 19, 2016.

1. Fiddle Picker

Fiddle Picker

Seen this one before... Ouch !!

els likes this.
  2. southcross2631

southcross2631

Fiddle Picker. I live just outside of Ocala and go to Tn. to buy Ford parts from Snakeman in Cleveland quite often. We also have family there.
    I would like to stop by and check out your progress if you don't mind.
    PM me with your details ,you say you are close to Atlanta Motor Speedway.
    You can just ride over to Summit warehouse and pick up your parts, no shipping and waiting.
    Keep up the good work. Hope to run you in D/GAS with the worlds heaviest Morris Minor late next season.

els, Fiddle Picker and loudbang like this.
  3. Fiddle Picker

Fiddle Picker

Ten4 southcross2631. Stop by. Look past the mess I have going on. Will get you details. When will you be in the area ? I am new to this so how do I PM ?

els and loudbang like this.
  4. loudbang

loudbang

Put your arrow cursor over his avatar (small photo with his name on left of page) and it will show START A CONVERSATION click that line and go for it. That is HAMB PM

els and Fiddle Picker like this.
  5. Fiddle Picker

Fiddle Picker

Thanks loudbang, I figured it out right after I posted and thanks to DOM who gave me a ring about that.

els likes this.
  6. Flipper

Flipper
    from Kentucky

Have you done anything with your Christmas present yet? I'm really curious how well that roll bar hugs the stude shape.

7. Fiddle Picker

Fiddle Picker

It's about 2:47 am after our New Years Eve Party our band played and I'm checking in ! The Bars fit Great ! I only have the main hoop in (today, before the show) will have pics later. Did this same kit on my 54 Stude, almost.. looks like it was made for it, dang sure close enough. Have about one inch on each side to spare. Height is perfect. Not perfect angle on the sides but I would do it again if I had another Stude Coupe !!

8. Flipper

Flipper
    from Kentucky

I'd like to see pics of your 54 Stude too.

9. Fiddle Picker

Fiddle Picker

Pouring rain today but I got pics of the main hoop. Put .125 plate on top of the out rigger. Here it is: main hoop 1.JPG main hoop 2.JPG main hoop 3.JPG main hoop 4.JPG main hoop 5.JPG

10. dirty old man

dirty old man
    Member Emeritus

Looking good,wish I had your energy! Just got back Fri. night from a week at my sister's in VA, got to get some stuff done with first of year inventory and sales tax on my Amsoil dealership, and first of month bill paying, then get back on the roadster and find the gremlin in the ignition!
    Where did yall plat New Years?

11. Fiddle Picker

Fiddle Picker

Thanks Dave, let me know what you find out about that ignition thing. We played at the Infamous Griffin VFW to a packed house. Had a ball !

12. Fiddle Picker

Fiddle Picker

It's outside also. When the weather breaks I will get some pics. Its the one in my avatar.

els likes this.
  13. elgringo71

elgringo71

Keep up the good work Fiddle Picker. The Studebaker is coming along nicely.

els, loudbang and Fiddle Picker like this.
  14. Fiddle Picker

Fiddle Picker

Thanks elgringo71, trying to make hay while the sun shines. Doing most of it outside, shop too cramped, can't open both doors at same time ! Trying to beat the cold !

els and elgringo71 like this.
  15. Fiddle Picker

Fiddle Picker

Slow go. Patching rusty quarter bottom. Using a bottom panel of a 90s Chevy truck bed, slightly reshaped to fit. I noticed that my truck bed bottom had about the same shape, so, off to the salvage yard. quarter patch 1.JPG quarter patch 2.JPG quarter patch 3.JPG

16. Fiddle Picker

Fiddle Picker

Here's some pics of the 54. Never finished it. Started bracket racing it in 2010 and started two 53 Chevy Wagons and never painted the 54. Putting these in as thumbnail pics so it wont look like I'm farther than I am on the Gasser. 54 Stude.JPG 54-1.JPG 54-2.JPG 54-3.JPG 54-4.JPG 54-5.JPG 54-6.JPG 54-7.JPG 54-8.JPG 54-9.JPG

17. Flipper

Flipper
    from Kentucky

Are the down tubes for the 54 roll bar bent for a 69 camaro? Or is that something you had done?

If that is all the way the kit came....that is amazing how well it fits.

18. Fiddle Picker

Fiddle Picker

The front down bars are the way they came in the kit. We bent the rear bars to accommodate back seat passengers when I put the back seat back in. Didn't put the cross bar in the main hoop so you could get in the back seat. Gonna make it removeable. Couldn't get the tech guys to tell me which way they preferred I do that, so it's still out.

19. loudbang

loudbang

Like your style like in the good old days of trips to the junkyard for parts that work as good as "Store Bought".

20. Fiddle Picker

Fiddle Picker

Recycle, re-purpose ! May have to tweak a little to use some parts, but how many store bought parts have You used on a project that didn't need tweaking also? Luckily I have a good friend that has a salvage yard specializing in old car parts 5 minutes from my shop.

els, elgringo71 and loudbang like this.
  21. Third DodgeBrother

Third DodgeBrother

Back when I was making a full dollar an hour, I tried for a whole summer to save up $200 for a '53. That one had a 396 in it. Course it was in pieces in the trunk!

22. Fiddle Picker

Fiddle Picker

I remember those days well. Can't count the 55-57 Chevys I bought for under 500 bucks and drove them home. Did your Stude get away? Your area must've been high income!! I worked and saved for my first car, 62 Chevy Impala SS convertible 327 4 spd all original (now I'm sick) at 50 cents per hour. A whopping 275 bucks off Homer Sigman's back lot ( he was our local Studebaker Dealership Owner till the end of the brand). Dad loaned me a hundred just to get it before it got away. He was too much a car guy also. Used to go to the strip and watch him run his Flattie Merc powered 34 Ford coupe then a 56 Belair hardtop with a transplanted 57 Fuel Injected 283. Man, what a time !

Last edited: Jan 4, 2017
    els, kiwijeff, elgringo71 and 2 others like this.
  23. dirty old man

dirty old man
    Member Emeritus

Johnny, isn't that '34 your Dad had that Lonnie Spangler redid and it wound up on the pages of HRM? Wonder where that car is now?
    Folks, I've known Johnny's family all my life and they were all hot rodders and musicians of the first order.

24. Fiddle Picker

Fiddle Picker

Same car Dave. Don't know the whereabouts now. Would like to see it again and hope it's still being cared for. I remember Dad towing it home, no engine, with a chain ! Sometime around 1960.

els and elgringo71 like this.
  25. Third DodgeBrother

Third DodgeBrother

Yeah, that one got away. Wish now I hadn't wasted all that money on gas and girls.... well no, not really!

26. 48fordnut

48fordnut
    Member Emeritus

Good work. Should show up for Run What You Brung,for your test and tune.

els likes this.
  27. Fiddle Picker

Fiddle Picker

When, Where ? I'm trying for late summer first pass. We are doing 2 cars side by side outside so slow go weather for a while.

els likes this.
  28. dirty old man

dirty old man
    Member Emeritus

Johnny, RWYB is the acronym for the Nostalgia Drags @ Silver Dollar Raceway in Reynolds, GA where you were spectating last Oct.:)
    No date for 2017 set as yet and I hope to meet soon with Ed and new owner to work it out, and get a date.

els likes this.
  29. Fiddle Picker

Fiddle Picker

Thanks Dave, keep me posted. If the Gasser is not ready I will bring one of the other old irons.

els likes this.
  30. dirty old man

dirty old man
    Member Emeritus

Our conversation about RWYB jogged my memory to call Ed Swearingen, as he is still involved @ SDR even though he has sold it, and preliminary indications are that RWYB for 2017 will be around the same time as last year, which was 10/29/16.

Last edited: Jan 6, 2017
    els likes this.