Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods Am I Missing Something Here? '32 Ford $14,500???

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Mitchell de Moor, Aug 30, 2015.

1. Don's Hot Rods

Don's Hot Rods
    from florida

I also called that number and told them I was interested in the car, please call me. I also called the real ad and left a message that his car pictures were being used in NC and that it might not affect him but as one rodder to another, I wanted him to know.

I guess his scam is that he will ask for a deposit to be sent immediately so that you don't lose the chance to buy it, or maybe some other scam I have not thought of. Can CL be notified some way ?

A guy was telling me a story at work today. A friend of his texted him and said he was sailing in the Caribbean and two guys robbed him and took all his money and he had no money to get back to the USA. Could he wire some money ? The text came from his friends phone number, but when he thought about it he smelled a scam.

What had really happened was that his friends phone was stolen and the scammers were sending out texts to all his friends in the contact list in hopes of reeling in some suckers. It really is getting to be a horrible world out there !:mad:

Don

2. steel3window

steel3window
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I called, and the guy who answered said the ad was fake. He doesn't have a car for sale, and doesn't know who put the ad up. He asked me to flag the ad for removal.

3. mike in tucson

mike in tucson
    from Tucson

My 39 pictured in my avatar popped up on EBAY....gee, it was a LOT cheaper than what I bought it for. I sent Ebay a message and it was gone within an hour. If I had thought about it, I should have played the scammer for a bit with questions.....maybe meeting him to "give" him the cash. But I didn't. CL is the worst for scammers since the ad requires little work.

lothiandon1940 likes this.
  4. oldolds

oldolds

I am from PA too. I always like those low priced cars with palm trees in the background. Lots of palm trees here! lol

5. flynbrian48

flynbrian48

Interesting. A buddy of mine's car was just on another hot rod classified site for sale (not by him, and not really for sale). I called the guy who posted the ad, who said, OF HIS OWN AD, "You can't trust most of these ads.", claimed he didn't remember the car, or placing the ad.

6. Travis T

Travis T

I reported it. I live about two hours from Raleigh and a fake ad in my area got two people killed a few years ago. If I remember right, couple from I'm wanting to say Atlanta placed an ad wanting a 66 Mustang and someone near me answered it. When they came up here, the "seller" robbed and killed them and left them in the trunk of their car. It was an older couple and they came with cash. Some of these fake ads aren't just going to lead to people being robbed.

dudley32 and lothiandon1940 like this.
  7. Reminds me of the one that was claimed to be stolen and then the guy was charged as the thief.....

8. 49ratfink

49ratfink
    from California

I have been looking at motorhomes and see quite a few newish $20,000.00 motorhomes for $2500.00 on Craigslist. I feel sorry for people stupid enough to fall for these scams.

lothiandon1940 likes this.
  9. LOL I had a pic of my bike show up in New York, I get a call from Palo Alto, " What the fuck Man we just got you back on two wheels? Now your selling your scoot in New York?" So I said, " Nope this one is a keeper" "Check Cl Buffalo" So I did, found my bike, contacted Cl they got a place to report scams, but you really have to dig to find it. No phone number just an email contact on the ad so I posted an ad with pics assuring anyone who tried to buy it that it was a scam and flagged them besides reporting them. I don't doubt it will get sold again someplace else.

it happens and like someone once said, "if it sounds too good to be true it probably is."

10. '54Caddy

'54Caddy

I had a guy try to scam me once. I had a model A body for sale locally on craigslist. A guy came out and looked at it and snapped a few pics so he could "show his buddy". About a week later, I get a call from a friend of mine saying he just bought a model a coupe body off ebay. He sends me pics and guess what...its my coupe body he bought! But I never posted my car on ebay and the price was $500 more than what I was asking. Coincidentally, a couple hours later, the first guy that looked at the body called saying he had cash and would take the body and pick it up in a couple days. I instantly put 2 and 2 together, he was trying to make an extra $500 for selling stuff that didn't belong to him.

Sadly, it probably would have worked if I didn't know the other buyer! I called the guy back and ripped him up, telling him that I had his name, address and plate number of his pickup truck and if he ever tried a scam like that again, I wouldn't be so friendly next time. I also gave my buddy (who is a very large man and who runs with a tough crowd) the guys name phone number and address so he could personally "talk" to the guy.

Atwater Mike and lothiandon1940 like this.
  11. rfraze

rfraze

I guess that makes it a "steal" body.

lothiandon1940 and '54Caddy like this.
  12. LOL when I have a problem with someone and have their number I just have a gay friend put their number on the bathroom wall in the local gay bar. :D I actually had one fella come back to me to tell me what happened and he had to change his number so I told him he should maybe choose his friends more wisely. ;)

lothiandon1940 and '54Caddy like this.
  13. Mr48chev

Mr48chev
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Hopefully no one gets scammed on that coupe. I know a guy who would pull a similar deal to what 54 Caddy was mentioning but he would go out and make a deal for a car and not pay for it and then sell it for a profit and go pay for it and deliver it to the buyer. Always talking about a car he had "bought" but never having the car in his possession. Funny thing was that we were riding down the highway and one of those cars that he "had bought" went by us on a trailer after the seller had got tired of waiting on him to pay for it and sold it to someone with cash in hand.

'54Caddy likes this.
  14. It just occurred to me that we should all maybe flag that ad, it takes several to get an ad pulled from Cl. it only takes a second.

15. dudley32

dudley32

it's still there...I can't see how to flag it...

16. In the top left had corner it says reply and next to that it says prohibited click on that.

dudley32 likes this.
  17. dudley32

dudley32

o.k. thanks I flagged it...

18. raidmagic

raidmagic

Well that's not really a scam, that's just playing with fire.

19. '54Caddy

'54Caddy

No that's a SCAM... a guy posting an ebay ad, for a car he didn't own, pretending he owned it and selling it to a buyer who was under the impression he owned it, and taking his money without being able to provide him the product he bought. What if I sold the car in the meantime? I hate scam artists and thieves!

20. rcranger

rcranger
    from ilion ny

guys name is vin cassese scam artist sold my 27 T to him 42 days after he got it told paypal he didnt authorise the deposit on it and they screwed me by taking it back he wouldnt answer them or me and i am screwed out of it so beware of this guy

21. henry29

henry29

What guy? The original ad was fake.

22. You probably want to start your own thread on that.
    Lay out the details and be clear and honest. The power of the Hamb doesn't take kindly to this type of stuff.