Register now to get rid of these ads!

History Does this truck still exists?

Discussion in 'Traditional Customs' started by Maverick Daddy, Dec 31, 2016.

1. Maverick Daddy

Maverick Daddy

Stogy likes this.
  2. Dan Timberlake

Dan Timberlake

The relative size of headlight bezels shows all the work done to the front end and hood.

I think it would be interesting to see with the bezels Scaled down proportionally. dodge 1965 dodge.jpg

kiwijeff, dwollam and Stogy like this.
  3. I found it. It is featured in the March 1996 issue of Classic Trucks.

Stogy and Maverick Daddy like this.
  4. Stogy

Stogy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

If you could post some nice scans we all would love to see them K13...;)...pretty please...thanks bigtime...

5. Stogy

Stogy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Dan sure thats the same year there is no swoop in the trim/bodyline on the box...and I see it says 65 on the plate me thinks hmmm...I'm actually not fluent on all things Dodge but I had a bit of trouble coming to conclusions when sourcing out what I found. I actually see that thats a trim and the body line may actually be there just lost in resolution...I stand corrected and the to me the big bezels are part of the querkiness that makes the package. I hope K13 comes up with the pics...with the build info.

Dodge65d100pu1.jpg

Last edited: Jan 2, 2017
  6. Hendee

Hendee

image.jpeg image.jpeg
    You are right on the hood hinges for sure. Here's a couple of shots of my '62 Shortwide, still in original paint so some did survive. Four headlights on the early Sweptlines versus the pie-plates from 65 onward. Given there's a few other Canadians on this thread, they may notice mine is a Fargo D100 and not a Dodge. Same truck, just bought from your Chrysler Plymouth dealer up here. Haven't yet brought myself to modify mine, but I've got a Sid's axle sitting in the shop with it so soon it going down.

Tom

Stogy likes this.
  7. jeffs_sledz

jeffs_sledz

I'll have to post a couple pics of my Dodge later. I've had half a dozen of them now. Almost have my '65 roadworthy now. And I plan on a full '60's custom treatment for it eventually.

8. ironrodder

ironrodder

My '67 was white with a "sprayed" vinyl top. Kept seeing it around town for several years after I sold it. You know the line, "another one I wish I had back".

9. das858

das858

I've had 3 of those trucks, two '66 models and a 1971 short box fleetside. To me the four headlight '61-'64 and the '68-'71 front ends are much better looking than the '65-'67s. On my '71 I put a '74 Dodge front frame clip with coil spring independant suspension and power disc brakes , cop car steel wheels and 275-70-15" tires to fill up the rear wheel wells. Wish I had pictures of it to share, was a really fun truck with a warm 360 and 3.91 rear gear.

10. Stogy

Stogy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Like everything with our vehicles everybody likes different things...Tough for the designers to keep everybody happy. One thing I know for sure this Wild looking mild Custom Dodge meets the Hamb period in style and I really think the Fabricator/Builder/Owner came up with one of a kind masterpiece that has managed to survive. Still want to see the article and will perhaps purchase the mag to do it. K13...:rolleyes:...pics or it didn't happen.

11. I've always wanted one of these old Dodges. One of my friend's Dad had one that I rode in a lot as a kid so I grew to love 'em.
    I also remember a chopped one that used to cruise Colfax back when I was a teenager. Dug that one, too. I remember I always told my friends how cool I thought it was and they thought I was crazy. The only guys that seemed to like it were the Mopar guys. Funny how nowadays funky is what everybody wants. These trucks were the forgotten bargains until a few TV "mechanics" built an example or two and now they are getting out of reach like so much vintage iron.
    Here's a link to an ancient HAMB thread about lowering these trucks where I brought up "The Chopper Truck". Scroll down to post #9, and right afterwards you'll see a nice picture that @Radshit posted taken at Viva around '96 or '97.

http://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum/threads/lowering-a-mid-60s-dodge-truck.16521/

I also dug out my copy of Truckin' March '96 with it as a feature and scanned the article. E

Chopper Truck TrM Mar 96 p148.jpg

Chopper Truck Trm Mar 96 p149 (2).jpg

Chopper Truck Trm Mar 96 p150 (1).jpg

12. Stogy

Stogy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Thank you...;) so much OG...short of owning it this is the next best thing...To me this fulfills the quest...There ya go Maverick

To me I wouldn't change a thing...Nothing

I'll Wager the Owner Randy Janson did or had built other very Hamb friendly Hotrods and Customs to boot in his tenure...and If anyone knows of any perhaps post them. Hotrods Customs only...That truck has so many admirable touches.

Last edited: Jan 3, 2017
    Maverick Daddy and OG lil E like this.
  13. 57JoeFoMoPar

57JoeFoMoPar

This truck is rad as hell. Mopars always get a bad kustom rap but realistically some of them have some of the best looking lines of the era.

Stogy likes this.
  14. Looks like the same article with some different pictures in Classic Truck.
    Truckin 420170103.jpg
    Truckin 320170103.jpg
    Truckin 220170103.jpg
    Truckin 120170103.jpg

15. Stogy

Stogy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Canadian Edition versus American...dunno...:confused:...Thank you too K13 You guys came up big...now I want the mag and a truck just like it...Totally awesome outcome here.

OG lil E likes this.
  16. belair

belair

I like those beasts. There's a white one here in town with mags and a black bumblebee stripe around the rear of the bed.

OG lil E likes this.
  17. Hard parts gonna be finding one that's not rotted away...those things rusted the second they left the plant I think

michael knight, OG lil E and Stogy like this.
  18. Different mags owned by the same company. OG posted the article from Truckin' and mine was from Classic Trucks. I'd be happy to send you this copy I have no real use for it. PM me your address.

OG lil E likes this.
  19. Stogy

Stogy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Especially in Saltyville places like the snowbelts...I remember back in 76 there was a station truck Dodge about that year it was a roaring plow monster and the box sides flapped like wings it was so rusty.

OG lil E likes this.
  20. Stogy

Stogy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Thanks so much K13...I'd like that. I missed the details on the Publications...:eek:

21. Hendee

Hendee

image.jpeg image.jpeg image.jpeg For anyone who hasn't really looked at these trucks before, you will definitely find some cool different things. Dropped frame gives you a pretty good sized cab with decent legroom. White faced gauges in mine were a '62-only feature. At that time, Chrysler would build it most anyway you wanted, including a /6 with a three-speed monkey shift and a 4:10 sure-grip in the back. A fun truck for sure, and getting popular now that folks have discovered them again. Pre-'65 the taillights were round and not oval. Yep, these trucks are WIDE.

Tom

OG lil E and Stogy like this.
  22. Katuna

Katuna
    from Clovis,Ca.

They're tough bastards too. My best bud in high school bought an ex US Navy short bed. Even at 16 I thought he was nuts for buying an ex military vehicle. God knows how many miles it had when he got it but he thrashed that poor truck and it just kept coming back for more, like a whipped dog. Slant 6 and a 3 speed that he put a Hurst floor kit on. Still in Navy blue. He always wanted to put a flatbed on it but I kept telling him the best part of the truck was the bed, plus all his shit would go flying when he wanted to spin doughnuts. I think his was a '70. Had the better grille and oval taillights.

Sent from my iPhone using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

Stogy likes this.
  23. Hendee

Hendee

I've always liked the looks of this little Sweptline. Great stance-low but not too low, subtle paint, dog dish caps. Just looks right to me. Wish I knew more about it, just have this pic.

image.jpeg

24. skullaero

skullaero

Great post. Growing up as a kid in the 70s just before my dad got into the van craze he had a red 65 D100 SWB. My brother and I loved the truck. It had a 318 w/3 on the tree, custom black & red interior, side pipes, and Dodge rallye wheels. It was really fun when my mom would drive, she had trouble with the clutch and did accidental burn outs. Thanks for the memories.

Stogy and Hendee like this.
  25. HayesDesign&Restlying

HayesDesign&Restlying

[​IMG] 1483504560815.jpg

This is my wifes truck. 63. After she saw that truck. That was originally posted in this thread. She wants that. Ugh pink n purple too lol jk. One thing I noticed about these trucks is the hood it opens up like a jeep. Way high almost touching the windshield. Awsome. No need to remove hood!... and ya there butt ugly. But cool ugly?... when I first saw the truck I was like eww. But it's growing on me. Not many well built shorty's out there. I hope to add to that

Mr. Hayes

Sent from my SM-G360T1 using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

kiwijeff, Stogy and Roadsir like this.
  26. Stogy

Stogy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Now there is 3 layers of influence here to glean from to get that project hummina hummina... (english translation...going)...:D...and the wifes onboard...how good is that.

27. dwollam

dwollam

'68-'71 versions of those trucks lost the huge headlight rims and also the center of the hood got raised instead of sunken. Both improvements IMHO. I have my sister's '68 sitting in my yard. It has a '67 grill and hood I donated after her kids wrecked it. Would like to find some '68 parts to put it right someday.

28. dwollam

dwollam

Not here in Central Oregon! Several around at different farms and such. Nothing much rots here. Now sun baked upholstery is a different story...

Dave

rtcoronet440, Chavezk21 and Stogy like this.
  29. Stogy

Stogy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Dwollam, beauty is in the eye of the beholder...Many like, many don't. The big bulbous lights are part of the big appeal of that Custom Truck...again if you were to ask me I would have thought the single big light to be earlier than the quad lighted truck. But at 65 it makes the period criteria...Glad the new owner kept that feature. I am pretty sure the OP was drawn to the look as well. Still really happy the additional info surfaced.

30. bchctybob

bchctybob

What a shame that cool truck didn't get the loving care it deserved. He did an inspired job of customizing a mostly overlooked truck. I hope the current (or a future) owner brings it back to it's former glory.
    Hendee; that interior is the photo that comes up when you Google "utilitarian"! Talk about no frills...... very cool.