Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects Need Help with 28 sedan rear coil overs

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by Mark Jenny, Dec 31, 2016.

1. Mark Jenny

Mark Jenny

I bought a 28 Ford Sedan a few months back, and the coil overs arent doin the job...the springs are too weak, and relax to far with weight on them, thus no shock travel,thus crappy ride...so...I went hunting for a set of springs at the popular sites, but I cant seem to find a set rated at 225-250 lbs with the same diameters so that the buckets/mounts will work....these are 2 7/8" OD and 2 1/4" ID...cant seem to find a set that size...everything is bigger OD....can anybody lead me to the right source for these?..or...a new complete set with the same type of mounts so that I can use existing.,..thanks for the help guys... IMG_0281.JPG IMG_0282.JPG IMG_0283.JPG

2. sloppy jalopies

sloppy jalopies

They look like snow plow trip edge springs... buddy steered me towards variable rate coil overs... the distance between the coils starts close and increases towards the other end... memory says southern rod parts ?

3. You will need to figure out weight of vehicle, and then get appropriate coil overs- spring rate.

4. Look like shocks with helper springs (home made.):confused:

I think you should show us more off the chassis and mounting so you can get better help.

If you were to go with normal coil overs, such as from Rod-Tech (made in AU), a wide range of rates and springs are available. But without seeing your chassis, I'm only guessing this may involve some work.

5. Mark Jenny

Mark Jenny

I know that I need 250 lb springs...I have determined that already..the problem is finding a spring with that rating that is the same diameter as these old springs so that I can use the mounts...cant find any..they are all larger diameter...

6. Mark Jenny

Mark Jenny

7. Mark Jenny

Mark Jenny

on all the kits I find the top shock mount is the same as the bottom..this set is different...would like to just find the coils if possible..the socks work fine...all the kits have the mount that you see at the bottom of mine on the top as well...mine are a different mount IMG_0283.JPG

8. Mark Jenny

Mark Jenny

I'll check Rod-Tech and see if the have coils in my diameter

9. Maybe so, those certainly look custom or home made. I've never seen a coil over with that style top mount. If you can fab a little it shouldn't be hard to make a bolt in top mount that receives the standard style coil overs.

What the rest of the shocks dimensions?

Coil overs are sort of standardized so you can swap spring, right? If you have a nonstandard custom coil over that uses a odd coil spring ,,, well something needs to be different

10. Mark Jenny

Mark Jenny

yea..seems like these are made at home like you said...I was referring to the pic you posted of the coil over set..I had those on my 37...I think I'll just scrap this crap and get a whole new kit...I shouldnt be surprised..this sedan was cobbled up pretty bad..lol

11. They would have normal coil-over diameter springs, matching your might be a different matter. Good luck.

12. Mark Jenny

Mark Jenny

yea..I'm finding that out...I dont know what these coils came out of initially..but I think I'm just gonna bite the bullet here and change everything including the mounts..or..make my own buckets for the 3" OD springs that I bought from speedway

13. Mark Jenny

Mark Jenny

14. unkledaddy

unkledaddy