Register now to get rid of these ads!

Features Doing Falcons Right

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by falconizer_62, Jul 23, 2008.

1. Mike51Merc

Mike51Merc

The power steering pitman arms have a wicked curve that the manual arms don't.

loudbang likes this.
  2. skipperman

skipperman

OH BOY ........ know of any FIX ??? I think shaft sizes are DIFFERENT ??? Right ?? ( I was told 65 boxes use a 1" shaft for POWER or MANUAL -- is THAT RIGHT ??? )Anything ELSE FIT ???? mustang, etc ???

Last edited: Jul 8, 2016
  3. Dumb question of the day: I have forgot how many coils I have to cut for 6 cylinder front coils (coils cut per inch drop). I am planning on doing this soon and so by Murphy's Law, I have forgotten.

Sent from my LG-H900 using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

4. gimpyshotrods

gimpyshotrods
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I am not sure that you could actually generate a formula.

This would be dependent on the age of the springs, the mileage on the car, how the car was driven, and a host of other factors.

What I would do is put the car on level ground and measure from the ground, to the peak of the front wheel arch, on both sides. Take the shocks and springs out, and cut a half-turn off of the bottom, and put them back in. Roll the car back and forth a little, to make sure there is not any pre-load on any components. Measure from the ground to the top of the front wheel arches, on both sides, again.

That is what 1/2 turn will get you, in drop. Scale from there. Remember, you will hit the bump-stops fairly quickly. Make changes accordingly.

loudbang and Leon Sandcastle like this.
  5. Sunday morning test drive in my rusty 63 Sedan and my back is killing me.
    You can hear me grunt and groan as I work the steering wheel backing out of the driveway.
    Camera mount is squeaky and it might make you a little seasick....

It's 7am and the shift change is happening right now.....

loudbang likes this.
  6. AlexZ

AlexZ
    from Queens, NY

Hey everyone. Just picked up this '64 wagon. It was my boss' car that he drove daily. He purchased a brand new car in 2001 and drove the Falcon into the warehouse I work at and parked it. Been sitting there since. I think it has some potential. I got a good price on it since I work for the guy, and its pretty straight and rust free for a New York City car. When I started working there 3 years ago and first laid eyes on the wagon I knew I had to have it. Hopefully going to pull it out of the warehouse and into my garage next week and start bringing it back to life. Trying to make it a simple driver. Trying to keep it the way it is except obviously replacing all of the things that have worn due to sitting for 15 years. First step is to get it off dollies, into my garage and try turning the engine to make sure its not stuck. Then the fun begins. Needs a good bath too...
    IMG_5556.jpg IMG_3841.jpg IMG_8347.jpg IMG_3222.jpg IMG_9721.jpg IMG_2095.jpg IMG_7012.jpg IMG_5803.jpg IMG_4249.jpg IMG_1559.jpg

7. scrap metal 48

scrap metal 48

Wagon^^^ has potential.. Good luck with it...

8. mcnally351

mcnally351
    from boston

That wagon is awesome!

9. AlexZ

AlexZ
    from Queens, NY

image.jpeg image.jpeg image.jpeg image.jpeg Update on the wagon. Swapped out leaky gas tank, rebuilt carb, new plugs, fired right up. With a little tuning it's running pretty good.

Time to bleed and adjust the brakes and get to driving.

10. RetroSpeed

RetroSpeed

Congratulations AlexZ on acquiring the '64 wagon and getting it running after being stored for 15 years. It looks pretty solid and complete in the pictures posted.

11. Will the small roundbody Falcon hubcaps fit on these wheels? They're supposed to be 1963-4 & 5 Ford Mustang, Falcon, Ranchero, Comet. 5 Lug 13" stock steel wheels.

Attached Files:

12. Bigcheese327

Bigcheese327

I actually think those are Fairlane wheels. Regardless, that's what this car is wearing and they clearly work with the stock hubcaps.

1961 Ford Falcon Wagon.jpg

13. Ram Air Bob

Ram Air Bob

I have just finished installing Versailes discs on a 64 Comet, with the Versaises outer tie rod ends mated to the remainder of the stock V8 steering. Problem I have is the pitman arm is hitting the clutch linkage. What is the combination of parts to get it working well? I see GT350 quick steering kits with longer pitman and idler arms. Will these work? Any help welcome.Thanks.

14. P1020502.JPG P1020239.JPG A very good friend & I spent 6 months last (2015) Fall/Winter/Spring,completely rebuilding my Falcon.(less body & paint).
    I realize that they are only stock once, but in this case "stock" was boring.
    My car started as a 69,000 Mi., 1 repaint survivor. All stock.
    We installed a 331 stroker based on a 5.0L that Dyno'd @415 HP w/399TQ.
    The trans. is a C4 with shift kit & 3300 stall converter.
    The rear end is the stock 8" with a posi unit & 3:55 gears & Moser axles.
    We also lowered the car 3' all around & installed frame links.
    We converted the car to 4 wheel disc brakes.
    The undercarriage, engine compartment & trunk were cleaned & detailed & new carpet, gauges & a B&M floor shifter were installed.
    I had the new exhaust installed & took the car directly to our local car show(Majestics),
    where I spent a couple hours cleaning & detailing before the show.
    I know, I know, this sounds like another episode of (insert any popular "car" television show here), but we honestly finished with just a couple hours to spare!
    All the hard work paid off, I won 1st place in my class as well as a being chosen for a Big Brothers Canada Choice award!
    Since then I have put on about 4500 trouble free miles.
    I can't get enough, it is a completely different animal!
    I am pretty proud of this car as it is the only car that I can honestly say I've finished.
    Sorry for the O/T vehicle but the title said "Falcons Done Right"
    This also creates a new problem, what's next.
    I have since acquired a more HAMB friendly project that I will start on in the spring. see above.

Attached Files:

scrap metal 48 and loudbang like this.
  15. Bigcheese327

Bigcheese327

Very cool Big Bird, but definitely not HAMB material. Nice Shoebox, I'm sure you'll do it justice!

16. .
    Thanks, the shoe is gonna be fun!
    Funny how a 1966 or 1967 Falcon looks the same but are Hamb friendly?
    Rules are rules!
    I still love the car, HAMB friendly or not!

17. Bigcheese327

Bigcheese327

For as long as I've been here, the rule has been 1964-and-earlier, with exceptions made for cars that are nearly identical to their 1964 iterations. That would mean the only HAMB-friendly Falcons are the Round Bodies and Square Bodies.

That doesn't diminish the coolness of later cars, it just keeps the board more focused.

18. My bad!!
    I guess I should have read the rules.
    I'll stick with the 50 stuff.
    I love them all 1928-1972, Ford, Chev., Dodge, etc...
    The Fords find me.

Bigcheese327 likes this.
  19. AndrewnTX

AndrewnTX
    from Plano, TX

It's been a long while since I checked on you guys here on the HAMB.. I've been working on this Falcon Sprint the past year...

Attached Files:

Racer29, BLUSHU, Gammz and 1 other person like this.
  20. Thanks I appreciate your comments.
    The third gen Falcon was kinda' like the Bic lighter for Ford.
    Not too many sold, not too many left.
    Our Aussie brothers definitely kept the Falcon candle burning for a few more decades, but then they didn't get the Mustang.

21. scrap metal 48

scrap metal 48

The wagon cleaned up very well.. Keep going...

22. Nailhead A-V8

Nailhead A-V8

'64-7 Dodge 14" 5 lug rims bolt on and have a slightly smaller center if built up with weld the stock 13" wheel hubcaps go on....easy and looks great for sleepers

After a near death experience I try to discourage the use of '67 and up spindles (granada etc.) on pre'66 Ford cars.... the ackermann angle is completely different and will create bump steer. Instead use 64-5 Falcon/Comet or 64.5-'66 Mustang V8 spindles they have the correct ackerman angle and are the same for disc or drum so can be easily converted to the '66 4 puck disc set up

loudbang likes this.
  23. gimpyshotrods

gimpyshotrods
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Any of you guys have a pair, or even a single leftover '63 sedan tail light bucket?

I will post an ad, but I thought I would take the message to the masses

24. Falcon61wagon

Falcon61wagon
    from Indiana

loudbang likes this.
  25. gimpyshotrods

gimpyshotrods
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

loudbang likes this.
  26. Muttley

Muttley

If not, maybe there's a HAMB'er in the area that could pick them up and ship them for you.

loudbang likes this.
  27. gimpyshotrods

gimpyshotrods
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

loudbang likes this.
  28. gimpyshotrods

gimpyshotrods
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

29. KK500

KK500

image.png image.png image.png image.png
    It's Ron Morris with Penske shocks.

Thor1, loudbang and scrap metal 48 like this.
  30. larry symak

larry symak

sorry having a hard time navigating this site