Register now to get rid of these ads!

A fox paw…

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Chili Phil, Jan 15, 2004.

1. Poking around in here for the first time, I answered someones inquiry before I realized that introductions were customary here. Sorry. So, here's me:
    I live in Lakewood Cali, and have a '56 Olds Super 88 2 door post. It's dropped 4" in front for that late fifties/early sixties white boy stance. It's torquoise and white with the same colors tuck & roll in the stock pattern. '57 Caddy caps with Winnfield bullets. It's a daily driver and will be at the March Meet again this year. I'm going to turn 58 next month and have been driving modified cars since high school. This is a cool message board. Lots of people of all ages who like traditional style rods and customs without the haughty cliqueshness of the dress up kids. My thanks to the host of it and a Tip of the Viper Top Hat. I'm getting ready to sell the '56 to finance the '49 Olds 98 Holiday hardtop in the garage. This forum will be really helpful in that project. Thanx again and excuse me if I spoke out of turn.

2. 40StudeDude

40StudeDude

Well, it looks like you learn fast...yeah, there is a right way and a wrong way...to anything!

So, the '49 Olds hardtop has more appeal, eh? Why?

And what's that comment about a "white boy stance", what's that mean?

FWIW, the intro was decent, welcome.
    R-

3. Smokin Joe

Smokin Joe

As opposed to the mexican taildragger stance I suppose.
    Welcome aboard.

4. What! are the white boy police after you?every one can call themselves what they are-right? [​IMG] [Thanks for a decent intro]...you sound like you've been into cars a long time- so contribute and enjoy!

5. yorgatron

yorgatron
    Member Emeritus

i could care less about the "white boy stance" thing.don't worry about 40studedude,he's been listening to too much rush"i'm a pill-popping hypocrite"limbaugh lately
    [​IMG] what i want to know is are you using authentic Olds Rocket power in your cars? -george,Rocketeers![​IMG]enforcer

6. old beet

old beet

Welcome aboard Chili, I know what yer talkin about...OLDBEET

7. fatassbuick

fatassbuick

[ QUOTE ]
    Well, it looks like you learn fast...yeah, there is a right way and a wrong way...to anything!

So, the '49 Olds hardtop has more appeal, eh? Why?

And what's that comment about a "white boy stance", what's that mean?

FWIW, the intro was decent, welcome.
    R-

[/ QUOTE ]
    You need a hobby.

8. "Wingnutz here..., Rush Chairman..., Damn glad to meet you"!!! [​IMG]

Great intro..., Hope you can "splain" all this typin to the missus...! [​IMG] [​IMG]

9. fab32

fab32
    Member Emeritus

O BOY! Someone with some years under their belt. We can't let the youngsters take over. Welcome.

Frank

10. Welcome chili! Lots of Rocketeers here on the HAMB to lend a hand on the '49. BTW Good intro. [​IMG]

11. Gracie

Gracie

is a fox paw the same as a moose knuckle?

12. BELLM

BELLM

What? Another old dude? You guys are taking this place over!! Us 56 yr old kids don't stand a chance! Welcome from one greybeard to another!!

13. Blue

Blue

[ QUOTE ]
    is a fox paw the same as a moose knuckle?

[/ QUOTE ]

or a camel toe?

Welcome.

14. Thanx an' I appreciate the welcome. Why does the '49 have more appeal? At the risk of pissing some restorers off, here's the story of the "49. It's a Certified Milestone Car for 2 reasons, it's the first car to feature the Kettering V8 and it's the first pillarless hard top. It shares these honors with the Cadillic Coupe de Ville, the hardtop part also includes the Buick Riveria. So what, eh? Well it's been a semi custom since the early sixties or more likely the late fifties. It's nosed and decked and the door handles are shaved. You can't believe how much this cheeses the restorer crowd from the Olds off. But it looks better without the gingerbread. So, that's the one I want to build. The '56 is a great car and yes, it runs the original 324. I just have some polished aluminum stuff on it. I have a fresh 303 for the '49 with some hot rod touches. And another 324 for my way-down-the-road roadster project.

The reference to the white boy stance is how it was in the fifties where I grew up. If your car was "Dagoed" it ment you were a honky and if your car was taildraggered it meant you were a Mexican or an East coaster. It's a little different now I guess. My '49 will be a taildragger. Because of the flush mount skirts it just looks better that way.

Yes George, no corporate crap for me. The Kettering, when dressed up is as pretty as machines get. So, who has the stash of Edmunds manifolds?

Thanx for the welcome, this seems like a fun place…

15. yorgatron

yorgatron
    Member Emeritus

16. The '49 has a '55 hydro. One of my club brothers recently found a '52 or '53 engine with a factory stick that I'm trying to talk him out of for the roadster. I'll check that rocketeer site out. Thanx.

What kind of Olds do you have, George?

17. yorgatron

yorgatron
    Member Emeritus

'54 2 door 88 hard top,324 w/3x2 .030 over,balanced,-.040 off the '55 heads resulting in 9.5:1 CR,lumpy hyd.cam,slant pan hydro.BTW Rocketeers![​IMG] include anyone running a '49-'64 Olds engine 303-324-371-394 i plan on building a '60 394 with '63 big port heads someday,might swap that in eventually and use the 324 for a roadster or some such.

18. 56olds-ERDY

56olds-ERDY

welcome chili phil!
    good to have you on board
    eric

19. hotrodladycrusr

hotrodladycrusr

From one Olds fan to another, welcome! If I didn't know any better I'd swear you were my dad. He just finished his '56 Olds and has recently sold 3 1950 Olds, 2 Holiday coupes and one fastback. Just hollar if you need anything for that '49. Should be able to head you in the right direction. Again, welcome to the HAMB.

20. G V Gordon

G V Gordon
    from Enid OK

Welcome to the club. Next week we'll teach you the secret handshake! [​IMG]

21. Rocket88

Rocket88

Another Olds guy cool!
    I'd really like to see some pics, especially that 49.

Welcome!

22. oldandkrusty

oldandkrusty

Well alrighty, welcome to another geezer! Good intro. And I'm glad that you are okay with pissing off the restorers. Those guys generally have too much hostility stored up in their Armani's and need to have their noses tweeked from time to time. And, listen to Denise (aka, "hotrodladycruiser"-she knows more people than ANYONE on this board and is always ready to offer a helping hand and never shreds anyone because they forgot an intro.

23. JimC

JimC
    from W.C.,Mo.

Welcome from another "old guy".
    Jim

24. Although, I've had no time to figure out how to size my pix for the HAMB, I went on the Early Times Mid Winter Rod Run last weekend and DRD57 took a pic of my '56. Thanx Don! My Viper brother Rick won Best Closed Car for his '36 flatback. And that was with no interior and the stainless not finished. And we got to meet Otis Chandler. It was a great time.

Rocketeers: Sorry to take so long on the pix. Sometimes I'm as fucked up as a Football Bat.

Phil

25. yorgatron

yorgatron
    Member Emeritus

[ QUOTE ]
    Sometimes I'm as fucked up as a Football Bat.

[/ QUOTE ]i'm gonna hafta steal that one...good thing DRD took some pictures,he won't lose'em,unlike a certain Rocketeer who shall remain nameless (hint;he owns a chopped '49 98 olds) who claims he LOST [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] the memory card out of his digi-cam on his way back to (get this) the school where he's studying PHOTOGRAPHY!!!

26. 56olds-ERDY

56olds-ERDY

[​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

[​IMG]

(that was directed at chili phils comments)
    ive been waiting to see i picture of this low production auto for quite some time now.
    eric
    p.s. i just checked it out looks sweet!

27. Thank you. And Thanx again to Don D for his DRD57 site.