Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical The Specialized Tools Of Hot Rodding

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Ryan, Dec 19, 2016.

1. That's what this guy is for.
    15665538_1204099089656205_5147637590093130662_n.jpg

2. Wow! I was only about 11 yrs old then. That is amazing! Thanks.

3. Truck64

Truck64
    from Ioway

Accept No Substitutes!

Speedwrench likes this.
  4. 6-bangertim

6-bangertim
    from California

San Diego's Motor Machine Co. began with ONE guy back in the '20's with a portable boring bar and crank grinder he carried in the trunk of his car. It grew into an operation that filled most of a city block, with parking on TOP of the building for employees. Smaller now, in National City...

5. 6-bangertim

6-bangertim
    from California

A 6" length of 3/8 hose ain't worth a pic, but my BEST FRIEND for changing plugs... no burnt hands, or cross-threading! :)

loudbang, mctim64 and Montana1 like this.
  6. Also have this. It all works, but I haven't had an occasion to use it.
    Drills out rivets, installs rivets, radius grinds shoes, peels off old linings.
    Star Equipment brand.
    image.jpg

7. oldsjoe

oldsjoe

I operated one very much like that in the Marine Corps in Japan. Joe

loudbang likes this.
  8. ZAPPER68

ZAPPER68
    from BC

Yup, good one...back in the day I had a 69 428 Mach 1 that was a bitch to change plugs on. Once I discovered the 3/8 ths hole trick, life became simpler.

Gr8laker, 6-bangertim and loudbang like this.
  9. rd martin

rd martin
    from indiana

you guys have some amazing tools! my old man was a machnist, he had some equipment at home and did some neat stuff. wish i could have learned more from him!

loudbang likes this.
  10. TagMan

TagMan
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

My Brainard horizontal mill, ca, 1920. Note the Model A Ford transmission & electric motor someone added decades ago for changing speeds. Was originally an overhead belt driven machine.......
    [​IMG]

lawman, phoenix5x, cactus1 and 9 others like this.
  11. Fortunateson

Fortunateson

Where are the parts avaiable?

12. Well, there are quite a few places to get information and parts.
    Start by searching for "Atlas Lathes model 618", that will get you going.
    For one, start on you-tube for a lot of research on restorations and projects.
    E-bay and Craigs list are very helpful.
    There are a lot of forums out there too.
    Many places have used parts and there are some places that offer repo parts now.
    I hope that helps a bit.

http://www.quarterbore.com/store/cd/atlaslathemanual.htm
    http://www.flywheelmachinetools.com/AccessoriesAtlas.html
    http://www.modularconstructioninc.com/metalworking-equipment/atlas-618
    http://industrial-library.ecrater.com/p/8330018/atlas-6-inch-no-618-lathe-manual

mkebaird and loudbang like this.
  13. mkebaird

mkebaird

Not that specialized, but good tools. Just don't let that VanDorn get away from you when it's out of the 'press'. P1030132.JPG P1030136.JPG

14. dumprat

dumprat
    from b.c.

Not very often you see a home shop with Lista cabinets. Nice.

loudbang likes this.
  15. mkebaird

mkebaird

I wish it was more than one cabinet, that one came with the Craftsman lathe and home made table, a nice package. The only parts I've found for the lathe are chinese :eek:

loudbang likes this.
  16. ol'stinky

ol'stinky
    from New Jersey

Oh no! If you post a picture of the thread on the thread you will cause a rift in the space time continuum!

Sent from my iPad using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

Normant93, kiwijeff and 6-bangertim like this.
  17. DOCTOR SATAN

DOCTOR SATAN
    from okc

What, no welding machines???

6-bangertim likes this.
  18. zombiecat

zombiecat

I've seen many a plug cleaned with this gem!
    _DSC5346.JPG

Speedys Garage, loudbang and Montana1 like this.
  19. Finnrodder

Finnrodder
    from Finland

Mine was pricier,around 50 bucks from ebay.I think its hard to find a shop from anywhere who are willing to ream the spindle bushings or know how to do it.And its easier to find that asshat who ruined your bushings by doing it by yourself...If something goes wrong.
    Text on the box says:
    For all A,B & V8 Ford and Mercury cars and A,B & V8 ½ ton light delivery trucks.Also Model AA 1928-29 1½ ton trucks.
    It worked fine with '51 shoebox kingpin bushings too.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

20. If you want one here is a very early machine for sale
    http://www.allmetalshaping.com/showthread.php?t=15803
    Thanks
    Luke

21. Of course, we all have some welders!

I just bought this little "Mr. Tig" machine last fall. It is one of those 110v jobs, but it works pretty good up to 125A. It'll do all the usual stuff like, steel and stainless steel up to 3/16", aluminum up to 1/8" with a 30% duty cycle, and even some exotic aircraft stuff like inconel if you need.

It came set up with a foot pedal and an air cooled 9 torch with a stubby gas lens. It's an inverter style instead of a transformer, so it's taken me a little time to get used to it. I love it though for building light stuff like headers and such. I still have to build a rack for it though!

IMG_0015.JPG
    IMG_0018.JPG

22. I also have an old Daytona Pocket Mig welder. I picked it up at the Frog Follies from a good friend of mine. It's also a 110v, and does real good up to 3/16" steel. One of my favorite welders!

IMG_0019.JPG

IMG_0021.JPG

23. One of my all time favorite tools is this torch set that I bought when I was about 22 yrs old. I learned to gas weld when I was a young teenager and it became second nature. I've built a LOT of headers, expansion chambers (for motorcycles) and various other repairs with this set!

IMG_0022.JPG

LilBlue82 and loudbang like this.
  24. Ok here is one from my garage!
    IMG_9853.JPG

25. falcongeorge

falcongeorge
    from BC

^^I have one just like that!

26. loudbang

loudbang

Me Too ^^^

fiteqprpr likes this.
  27. LilBlue82

LilBlue82

I love Gas welding its a skill that not many no how to do!! but once you learn how do it you can do anything with it!!!

loudbang and Montana1 like this.
  28. Normant93

Normant93

I have some old tools that belonged to my Grandfather, a drill press, vice and hand held B&D valve grinder (I wish I had his lathe). I also used to have a big old B&D gear drive drill from the 40's that was one of my favorite tools. Damn thing would twist your arm off if you didn't hold on tight enough. It finally self destructed to the point where I couldn't fix it anymore, I couldn't throw it away, so I put it on the wall as art. This past Spring my daughter wanted a "ray-gun" for a Steam Punk festival, so I "re-purposed" the drill into something totally off topic..........and I guess a somewhat unique Birthday present.
    Oh, and I also love gas welding, I'm a total amateur, but it just feels like a traditional skill.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Jan 3, 2017
    Montana1 and tb33anda3rd like this.
  29. jnaki

jnaki

upload_2017-1-3_3-50-28.png upload_2017-1-3_3-51-17.png upload_2017-1-3_3-51-28.png
    Hello,

In cleaning out the old 50’s-60’s memorabilia box, I came across this old alcohol infused, hand held, flame thrower. This device was made by Hanau Engineering Co in Buffalo, NY. The patent for this goes back to 1932/35. We used this device to shrink wrap wire connections instead of using a zippo lighter. I also remember using this old device to melt the wax and plastic rods during my model car construction days as a pre-teen into teenage years. My mother would not allow us to use the kitchen stove for our wax rod or any plastic melting process as it usually left drips on the metal grates and white porcelain.

This unusual device does throw a narrow flame at melting things when the trigger is depressed. Zippo lighters and other flames only goes up, not sideways. My neighbor gave me this as he knew I was always building models and needed something to slowly heat up the small rods to bend into dragster frames and exhaust header pipes. Later, this device became useful in all sorts of automotive uses. (Lighting cigarettes was the last thing we tried. Ha!) This flame got the heat right into the concentrated area for clean, smooth bends. It was difficult to melt the wax rods over the kitchen stove as that flame was too hot and large. This one pin pointed the single flame directly to any area.

Why did I not use a candle flame? This was a cool mechanical object and worked like a welder. The birthday candles did not last as long as the work continued and did not shoot the flame towards the plastic or wax item. The trigger shot some air through the flame making it go outwards toward the object in front. Yes, back then, it was a cool toy to use as a “dragon breath” flying over the green soldiers on a concrete pad diorama. Early flame throwers, like during the war movies, but in miniature.

I loaded up some alcohol into the compartment, primed it, and lit the flame end while depressing the trigger. I found some 5o year old wax rods and tried shaping a dragster frame. The old wax did not want to cooperate (too brittle and the composition melted/crumbled when slightly heated) and the project ended up in the trash. The flame thrower was drained of alcohol and stored away for another rainy day project in So Cal.

Jnaki
    upload_2017-1-3_3-52-22.png

Speedys Garage likes this.