Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical Stop lights on aftermarket turn signal switch

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by grizwagon, Dec 29, 2016.

1. grizwagon

grizwagon
    from orlando

Hey all, I maybe over thinking this, I am installing an A5007 aftermarket turn signal switch, the instructions are pretty clear, BUT the orange wire that is going to the brake switch is hot. The diagram says to hook one side of switch to orange and the other side to battery. That just does not seem right. Too hots??? Also now do I have to hook up my stop light wires separate of this switch?

2. not familiar with that switch

but......normally one side of the brake light switch is always hot , the other side goes to the turn signal switch and provides power when brakes are applied

3. grizwagon

grizwagon
    from orlando

I figured that the orange wire coming from the switch should NOT be hot, I must have foo-barred somewhere, I am guessing probably in the hazard flasher connections.

4. VoodooChile

VoodooChile

grizwagon - I just looked up the schematic for that switch, and I agree that it appears your problem is in the hazard flasher wiring.
    Question: is your internal indicator on all the time? (The green light inside the plastic tip of the turn signal stalk?) if so, that would mean you have the "+" and "P" terminals swapped on the flasher.
    Or you have a defective flasher.

Sent from my iPhone using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

5. VoodooChile

VoodooChile

Also good to note that "hazard" flashers and "turn signal" flashers are technically different. Hazard flashers will flash the same rate/frequency regardless of load, whereas turn signal flashers are load dependent. In other words: blown bulb = faster flash rate with turn signal flasher. Blown bulb = same flash rate with hazard flasher. Just a little nugget to know...

Sent from my iPhone using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

6. grizwagon

grizwagon
    from orlando

Yes the green light stays on and then flashes when I turn on the the signal-I will try your flasher terminal swap first when I get home-fingers crossed!

7. grizwagon

grizwagon
    from orlando

Okay I have solved the problem so here goes the explanation. I used an EZ wiring kit and it installed perfectly in the car. I next used the aforementioned aftermarket turn signal. First thing was that the turn signal required a 3 way flasher, the kit only had the 2 way in the fuse box. So after installing that it still did not work right. When I turned it on I heard two separate flasher switch activations. So I removed the 2 way from the fuse box and ran a jumper wire connecting the circuit and there ya go!