Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects 1955 F100 Push truck and parts getter

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by broke hotrodder, Nov 30, 2016.

1. broke hotrodder

broke hotrodder
    from NY

So I convinced myself that it needs to happen and away we go. I will post some pics in the near future as I get in the swing of it. Here are the project parameters:

1955 F100 short bed push truck
    Motivation
    : 1958 392 Chrysler Hemi with vintage race parts
    Modifications: 1955 Pontiac dash/drilled front drop axle/running boards deleted/Stock roof/mild channel/Side pipes/Lincoln push buttons/Lightning holes everywhere/big and little Halibrands/no creature comforts except a butter soft leather bench seat

The parts hunting phase is still on but I have made some progress and just about to start getting off my bottom and do something. The first step for me is to make something that will let me fall in love with my garage again. I was thinking about drilling the drop axle. I am starting with a 1955 short bed frame that already has a drop beam axle on it. I know it is a weird place to start but, has anyone seen a drilled axle on an old effie? How much is too much? I am partial to the oval look. Anyone have images or know how much space is really needed between the holes before I Swiss cheese the axle?

2. I like your plan, but I think I'd be a little sketched out by the hole-y axle. No one will really see it, and it's going to be under a lot of stress/weight with a heavy hemi sitting on top. I'd spend the effort on something else, like a nice chromed rear axle housing or something =)

OahuEli likes this.
  3. broke hotrodder

broke hotrodder
    from NY

You are right about the stress on the axle, but that's why I am looking to see if has been done. Chrome wont really be for this truck, not that I don't love a good piece of polished stainless of buffed aluminum, but this truck is going to "all natural, but massaged and clean where it counts". I am going for the a noise maker, so my rear of choice will be a Winters or Halibrand quick-change with a good smoothed out finish. No polish, just patina as it ages. I like details and will get under something to see how its done. Its why I paint the inside of my motors with glyptal, debur everything, smooth the blocks and heads, etc. I like knowing its there even if I am the only one who knows it.

4. d2_willys

d2_willys
    from Kansas

I have a 57 F-100 "push truck" too. But I am going to drop a 368 Lincoln with dual range hydramatic into it. Should be able to pull wheelies then.

5. ...punch the front bumper full of holes, looks cool.

6. broke hotrodder

broke hotrodder
    from NY

I saw an image of a late 50's chrysler passenger car bumper that was split and drilled on a chopped mid fifties truck. It was perfect. If I ever figure out hoe to post pics, i will. I'd like something like a brass knuckle, not actual but scaled and similar.

7. broke hotrodder

broke hotrodder
    from NY

So slowly.... I am getting to this. A few inspirational pcs for the build.
    [​IMG]
    Original M/T 392 valve covers. They will get simple cleaning, Moon mushroom breathers and wrinkle coat between the fins. . Aluminum pug caps.
    [​IMG]

Moon puke tank centered on the front end. just below the peak in the headlight bar. Indian motorcycle tank emblem or Old Blue Oval trimmed and mounted over the old fuel cap. A/N fittings get replaced with brass.
    [​IMG]
    Old Packard 17" steering wheel. Olds dash and Dixco bullet tach. The Packard button will get removed from the wheel and matching replaced with vintage Indian tank emblem or the Old Blue Oval .Horn ring removed but saved for later. Finger pads will get replaced with nice hardwood (depends on what I have around - maybe red walnut). Dash to be re-arced to mimic the steering wheel arc and wrinkle coated. Dash insert to be replaced with matching wood used on the steering wheel. Tach to be cleaned up but unmolested, mounted on column or dash. Maybe wrikle coat the body and leave the ring chrome. Brass screws on anything to be visible.
    [​IMG]

I don't like the stock dash and the surround. Will lose the glove box and trim the dash just under the stock curve and some sort of nice shaped panel to cover up the guts. Perhaps the top plate of a heater box blended into the cover panel so the fresh air vent is still functional. Brass screws where exposed, panel to be wrinkle finished.. Column will get a nice old aluminum piston, to make the drop. More to follow......

8. 55Deso

55Deso
    from Wyoming

Looks like you're collecting some neat parts for this, really like the Packard wheel!

9. broke hotrodder

broke hotrodder
    from NY

Thanks. I love a good feeling steering wheel. It is just big enough to feel the turn. A smaller wheel would just be out of place. The holidays weren't as fruitful as I had hoped ( got the stomach bug that is going around), but i did manage to track down some epoxy to start repairing the outer ring. Should have a few images of minor progress in a few days.

10. steinauge

steinauge
    from 1960

This sounds like a really cool project but are you going to really use it for a push truck\parts hauler?

11. TexasSpeed

TexasSpeed
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Texas

If you're not going to be using those finger pads or the horn button, I have a nice wheel that those could go on.. my horn button has seen better days and your finger pads look much nicer than mine.

Let me know if you'd part with them.

Sent from my iPhone using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

12. OahuEli

OahuEli
    from Hawaii

Sounds like an interesting project. Subscribed.

13. southcross2631

southcross2631

I am building a Gasser using a 54 front axle and I have narrowed it 6 inches and am drilling holes every 2 inches in it. I am not worried about the strength of the axle.
    I have a set of mono leaf dropped springs and a power steering setup for a 53 to 56 F100 if you need it.
    PM me and I will make you a real good deal. Hurry up before I cut the springs to make a set of old school wheelie bars out of them. 20161108_1315381.jpg