Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects 1953 Pontiac Catalina Build "The Dahlia"

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by EastSidePoncho, Jun 21, 2013.

1. SoCal

SoCal

How are you getting on man?

Mine is getting real close but sadly I've left the gold/white colour combo club. Ha.

2. cavistyle

cavistyle
    from baltimore

Looking good man. I really like the poncho!

3. EastSidePoncho

EastSidePoncho

Rhanks man, I'm trying..

Thanks Cavistyle.. The flame job on your avatar look sick!!

Like a turtle SoCal, I will be leaving the gold/white color combo club too.. the engine will stay gold, but Ive decided to go with a factory maroon on the body.. I'll have an update shortly.

4. EastSidePoncho

EastSidePoncho

Good morning fellas heres my first post of 2014.. Its a new year and some ideas have changed..

First Ive been really busy with work and life as some put it, that I havent done much more than gather a few more parts and "think, think, think"

One of the major things Ive decided on is to Chop the top.. I know its a hard top but man I think it'll look killer... wont be anything crazy and probably so subtle that Ive had friends say why do it at all.. I think 2 inches off the front and 3 off the back should do quite nice.. anyway I work better with visual aid so here is a "photo CHOP" of what Im looking to achieve

[​IMG]

The other big change was color scheme.. Im a fan of "red" on vehicle so I decided on the Factory Maroon

[​IMG]

again I like visual aids so while at work I came up with this as a guide to the overall look I hope to get..

[​IMG]

Lastly I have had a little time so we started playing with the engine a bit.
    if this link works.. here we are trying to wake her up..
    http://instagram.com/p/iXr5aFmqph/

well fellas thats it for now.. but Its looking like Ill have more time in the next coming months so Ill get some work done...

5. engine138

engine138
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Commack NY

That Poncho is gonna look Killer Kustom

6. EastSidePoncho

EastSidePoncho

thanks man, I think so too.. We'll just have to see how it turns out..

7. SoCal

SoCal

Cool! Really looking forward to following your progress.

Posted using the Full Custom H.A.M.B. App!

8. stimpy

stimpy

need to check the starter for some shims , sounds like its too deep in the gear . you can buy starter shims at your autoparts store , have yet to find a pontiac that hasn't had atleast one shim used on it . use the paper clip method of setting the bendix gear up . if you have access to a old chiltons manual it has the method of setting them up this way .

9. mob53

mob53

Car is looking great! I love the photoshop rendering. That's just what I've been looking for to play around with on my 53. I think changing to the maroon is a good choice. I'll be watching to see how you do the chop. I've played around with doing it myself. I'm with you though, the roof just needs to come down a couple inches at most. Keep the posts coming!

10. castleman1111

castleman1111

you rock bro!! great job!!!

11. layedout49

layedout49

One bad ass poncho . Sweet progress man

12. Rand Man

Rand Man

I often wonder why some posts just end. Was this car ever finished?

Sent from my iPhone using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

EastSidePoncho likes this.
  13. EastSidePoncho

EastSidePoncho

unfortunately no.. But I still own it, and will finish her someday.. 20160606_182447.jpg

14. EastSidePoncho

EastSidePoncho

and in case a few of you are wondering.. these are why I stopped on her.. Bought a 63 C10.. fixed her up a bit, sold it before I finished it FB_IMG_1465259006458.jpg DSCN2211.jpg and bought a 58 Biscayne WP_002122.jpg fixed it up a bit, and is what I'm working on at the moment 20160918_184512.jpg and this is the most current pic of the Pontiac... 20161107_171648.jpg

Last edited: Dec 28, 2016
    Stogy likes this.
  15. Slopok

Slopok

And the thought of never even working in a garage is unreal. Must be nice to not have to worry about the weather.

16. EastSidePoncho

EastSidePoncho

I'm in Los Angeles and I guess we could say we are pretty fortunate in Southern California..

17. Nice work on all of these rides, I like your asthetic. How did you get that truck in the river? Also, I scrolled through your posts and couldn't find which part of LA your in, and couldn't figure it out from the pics, (although it seems pretty flat, doesn't look like Hollywood and you said "East side"). Montebello?

18. mcnally351

mcnally351
    from boston

Great read and cool build. I also like that 58. I have a bel air that's been waiting for me

19. EastSidePoncho

EastSidePoncho

Thanks man, I really appreciate the compliment. The L.A. river had an entrance on Santa Fe Ave. directly under the 6th St. Bridge.. The bridge has since been demolished and that entrance is no longer there.. as for the Eastside, I live in East Los Angeles.

clunker likes this.
  20. Slopok

Slopok

Reminds me of the scene from "Grease".:cool:

21. EastSidePoncho

EastSidePoncho

that is exactly that entrance to the river!
    Race 1.JPG
    97f84c1767799d168d4f701e68e4450f.jpg fa_1165_dragracinglariver970.jpg
    DSCN2190.jpg

Last edited: Dec 29, 2016
    Stogy and clunker like this.
  22. Exactly right, and Terminator 2. I worked on a ton of Music Videos like this in the entrance to the River near that Bridge in the 90's IMG_1483059119.325470.jpg (Dr Dre). We were never happy to spend a lot of time under those bridges, long story.

Great pic of that truck in the River, classic LA!

23. Slopok

Slopok

Trolls???:eek:

clunker likes this.
  24. Sort of.....you wouldn't believe me if I told you, it's also the reason you never went downtown after 6:00 pm. EastSidePoncho can tell you as well. Hundreds/thousands of homeless people living in Mad Max like little villages. Felt bad for them, but it could get pretty gross. I think it's cleaned up now though? I moved away in 2001.

25. EastSidePoncho

EastSidePoncho

I could imagine.. in the 90s that area had a lot of gang activity... Fortunately..or unfortunately.." I guess it depends on your views".. that neighborhood has turned "hipster"

26. I lived in Echo Park, at the time there was a lot of gang activity there too. I really liked it there. Oh man, "Los Siete Mares" restaurant, Huevos Rancheros... hard to find food like that here in Boston.....