Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects Better late than never , 29 AV8 roadster build

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by Cody49Ford, Dec 27, 2016.

1. Cody49Ford

Cody49Ford

Better late than never, i know a lot of people asked me to post photos of the build of the 29 Av8 Roadster once it got up in going, the truth of that matter is once i (finally) got started on it, i didn't think about anything but finishing it, so heres what kept me busy last month.. since completion last month , Ive been driving the car daily now ( good ole san diego weather permits that even in winter ! ) Thanks to Titus , a lot of the hard work was done, but being my first build I still got to learn a lot ( also with the help of Jay dean at nostalgia ranch ) , yet wasn't too overwhelmed with the work that had to be done to get it finished . Before it made its journey to california from titus' place in MN , he had done the driveshaft , put the F1 crossmember in it , new sub rails , and more that I'm sure I'm missing, but you get the point! Heres a few photos of the car when i first got it, before the tear down and assembly

IMG_3386.JPG IMG_3488.JPG IMG_3490.JPG IMG_3494.JPG IMG_3499.JPG

It had a great start to it , which kept me motivated even though it was still a lot of work in my eyes it was at least close enough that i could see the end results , and i was very eager to enjoy these results! Next step was taking it to a good friend , and hell of a hard worker to give me the hand i needed and the advice and " point in the right direction " to keep the forward progress going! up to nostalgia ranch it went where immediate tear down and rebuild began...

IMG_3971.JPG
    We pulled all the front end apart , rebuilt all the suspension front and rear , cleaned everything up , got all the juice brakes cleaned and true and painted up , king pins , f1 shock mounts etc etc , separated the front end , rear end , body , motor and trans , and frame into its own areas to focus on each individually . Of course theres lots of little odds and ends that had to happen but i won't bore you with touching on every little detail.. again ...you get the point!
    IMG_3972.JPG IMG_3975.JPG IMG_3983.JPG IMG_3985.JPG

Once everything was apart it was time for major rebuild , clean and paint!

IMG_3988.JPG
    IMG_3990.JPG IMG_3992.JPG IMG_3995.JPG

Fast forward a bit , and its time to drop the motor and trans back in after lots of cleaning , pulling the trans apart and replacing clutch , got the OG tattecrsfield intake mounted on the 34 flathead and she's looking purdy IMG_4006.JPG

We had all the brake parts on hand to rebuild the brakes front and rear , get the big and littles on it and let it touch down back on ground for its first roll.

IMG_4025.jpg IMG_4026.JPG
    IMG_4031.JPG IMG_4036.JPG IMG_4038.JPG

Once we had the chassis the way we wanted , bled the brakes , and continued to dial things in , it was time for the body to go back and and to continue moving forward... As you will see the body still needs it attention but for the time being I was really excited to get to enjoy this little rod , the body work and finish will come with time, i assure you of that!

IMG_4041.JPG

Once the body was on and all bolts and mounting wood were set in and made sure it all was a good fit , it was on to the floors, measure twice cut once, stain , install .. it felt great not to see the ground under my feet when sitting in it for the first time!

IMG_4086.JPG IMG_4092.JPG IMG_4091.JPG

After doing the floor , mounting my Tanks inc. Tank which worked out awesome and is a 16 gallon tank , we moved onto some wiring , lights , radiator and shell, and some more cosmetics ! IMG_4081.JPG IMG_4077.JPG

Now time to drop the actually radiator in knowing that everything will mount up and be clear of one another.. get some fluids in it , plumb and wire the rest of the motor and see if shell run!

IMG_4093.JPG IMG_4132.JPG IMG_4142.JPG
    By this point the camera stayed in my pocket more often because it was so close i could taste my first drive in the darn thing! Change all the fluids , and fire it up! She fired right up , took it to get the exhaust done, mounted the seat , wired all the gauges up to make sure i could keep and eye on it , and the rest has been to the streets! I love driving this car , and am so thankful I had a good group of people to help and offer advise when it was needed! Thanks hamb for taking the time to see my dream become a reality!!
    IMG_4230.JPG

2. Spooky

Spooky

Gawdamn that is a beaut!

3. Cody49Ford

Cody49Ford

4. waxhead

waxhead
    from West Oz

Very nice. Feel free to post some interior pics now that she is up and running.

Cody49Ford likes this.

5. Nice car, I like the front wishbone mounts, have you seen that done before? that may be a better way of splitting the bones.

6. Better late / than ever . Very nice car , looks like it drove right out of the "50" well done , I like your no nonsense build & thread Good job

Sent from my iPhone using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

Cody49Ford likes this.
  7. brady1929

brady1929

Damn that's nice

Cody49Ford likes this.
  8. qzjrd5

qzjrd5
    from Troy, MI

Great build. Thanks for the summary.

Cody49Ford likes this.
  9. spurgeonforge

spurgeonforge

That's sweeeeeet!!!

Cody49Ford likes this.
  10. Cody49Ford

Cody49Ford

11. Fine looking little roadster,thanks for the pics.

Cody49Ford likes this.
  12. pumpman

pumpman

Nicely done, nice to see an A with a correct A radiator shell on it. Looks great!

brEad and Cody49Ford like this.
  13. Binger

Binger
    from wyoming

I am liking this build too! Subscribed!

Cody49Ford likes this.
  14. Cody49Ford

Cody49Ford

Thanks @pumpman , I thought about putting the 32 shell on it that i have , but once i had this one it just looks the right part for what I'm after at the time! Thanks @Binger appreciate it! Ill try to add photos from time to time.. The interior might be a ways away.. its got the good ole "caravan rear seat, mexican blanket " combo working for it currently haha @waxhead

brEad likes this.
  15. Raiman1959

Raiman1959

Man, that is a wonderful project....totally & 100% groovin' on the way this is going....There is something really special about a project car that looks as nice as your car in all the different stages of a build...very nice car, man! ...it's gonna be a sweet ride and a nice inspiration to the rest of us!;)

Cody49Ford likes this.
  16. I like it!!!

Cody49Ford likes this.
  17. Flathead Dave

Flathead Dave
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from So. Cal.

Very nicely done. What made you go with a wooden floor?

Cody49Ford likes this.
  18. Excellent thread, cool car, good times ahead!

Cody49Ford likes this.
  19. Cody49Ford

Cody49Ford

Thanks @Raiman1959 I really appreciate the words! Its been a blast and keeps getting better !

20. wheeldog57

wheeldog57

Well done sir, looks great!

Cody49Ford likes this.
  21. Stogy

Stogy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Congratulations Hamber Cody Lots of inspiration in that workshop. Your capturing the vintage feeling nicely. Enjoy your pride and joy. Thank you for the detailed journey.

Cody49Ford likes this.
  22. e z i

e z i

Now that's a bitchin ride Cody..

Cody49Ford likes this.
  23. Cody49Ford

Cody49Ford

Thank you very much ! The question now is do I get an A coupe to build and compliment the roadster !?

kiwijeff likes this.
  24. tinkirk

tinkirk

25. tinkirk

tinkirk

Cody
    Now that you have been driving it a while how do you like the wood floor?
    I am also working on a 29 roadster and was looking at putting a flat floor in and, after seeing your pics, if you don't mind I'm thinking of copying what you did (if you don't mind)

Tinkirk

Cody49Ford likes this.
  26. RODIST

RODIST

Cody49Ford likes this.
  27. e z i

e z i

I know this guy that's got a real nice 31 coupe, but, Naw, you don't want one of those..:p

Cody49Ford likes this.
  28. Cody49Ford

Cody49Ford

@tinkirk it's been my daily driver and to be honest I love it . If I had to build the car over again , I would use wood once again. And yeah of course , I don't mind one bit !

e z i likes this.
  29. lodaddyo

lodaddyo

Looks great man! Nice job

Cody49Ford likes this.