Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects The Red Car (build)

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by Showtime, Dec 24, 2016.

1. Showtime

Showtime

For some its another model a build, but to me its a little more than that. For most that know me they also know the car I am starting on was my grandfathers model a. He had it mostly as Henry built it, but with the flat 4 having a crack in the block, the constant overheating, having to load it on and off trailer it was time for a update, and something that was a little more my style. This car is what got me into hotrods. Watching the rods at local shows, going to the drags seeing/meeting all these people who I now get to call friends. Ill never forget my first drag race in this car lined up with the Avalon Speed Shop Studebaker could hear nothing but his car at the line and as he launched and was gone about 3/4 of the way down the track when I was still leaving the start line, but being cheered the whole way down the track on my 30+ sec 1/4 mile pass. Was not to long after that i bought my first true hotrod from a friend/local legend and became a member of the Thuderbolts Car Club out of Central Texas. Hotrods are responsible for a lot great things in my life. Like meeting my wife and her family. Actually bringing my own father and I closer. Enough about my personal life the red car is what this post is about. The car is a 1931 model a ford 5 window coupe most of it now is all stock, but having slowly collected parts I needed, along with having Pete & Jakes fab me a new chassis. Using traditional style 32 rails with buggy spring/ladder bar set up in rear. Also got full Pete & Jakes front end using super bell 4 inch drilled dropped i-beam, picked up so-cals functional fake buick finned brakes, Then a brand new winters quick change rear end. never thought id be this far along on this car it has not been seen in about 6 years, been basically garage art collecting dust, but have to be a grown up have a wife, and little girl who both take priority, but both seem to be ok with my addiction. Have not quite decided on a power plant for it yet, but know it should be a little faster than it used to be. Still have a lot decisions to make along with work on the body, but will try to keep this thread updated.

Attached Files:

2. Nice coupe! Will the fenders stay or nah?

3. Showtime

Showtime

No fenders

1927graham likes this.
  4. L7

L7

subscribed-- want to see more!!

5. Jalopy Joker

Jalopy Joker

Congrats on the progress

6. Showtime

Showtime

Mocked up/ test fit every thing trying to decide what gets paint/powder coated. So far so good.

Attached Files:

7. Showtime

Showtime

Starting to strip body really did forget how bright/shinny this thing was once its clean most stock parts being sold if any body interested.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Jan 3, 2017
    kidcampbell71 likes this.
  8. Looking great, lots of really cool engines out there that are affordable, I vote for a 5" chop, just my thoughts, this project has a lot going for it, watching!!

kidcampbell71 likes this.
  9. Chaz

Chaz
    Member Emeritus

Keep the fenders!

10. manyolcars

manyolcars

4" max After that things start to look goofy

11. Showtime

Showtime

The chop is something I've been playing with in my mind if I do decide to chop it it will be a small 2.5 to 3 in

12. Any chops better than no chop...
    Imho.
    Very nice chassis and parts, I like this a lot.

1927graham likes this.
  13. NashRodMan

NashRodMan

Love that color! Nice car. If it was a Tudor I'd be buying all the fenders and splash aprons from you!

14. My avatar has a 5" chop, I don't think of it as being "goofy", maybe I'm looking at it wrong!
    IMG_1138.jpg

15. Tim

Tim
    from KCMO

I'm not entirely sure the roofline on a coupe and a pickup start out the same height to begin with so chop amounts may mean different things.

Also pickup and coupe proportions are obviously going to be different from each other.

That being said if you like it with 5 cut out go for it! Can't see the stop lights either way lol

1927graham likes this.
  16. I've heard the stop light thing before, in 11,000 miles in 2 years, (MN)., I just haven't had a problem seeing lights with a 5" chop, , back in the day, they'd put one light high up at the center of an intersection, you couldn't see them in an unchopped Model A, now they're on every corner, makes it so much easier for us old guys!

Last edited: Jan 3, 2017
  17. Windshield frames are the same!

18. Showtime

Showtime

Got parts/chassis back from powder coat very pleased with the work

Attached Files:

Tim_with_a_T and kidcampbell71 like this.
  19. sloppy jalopies

sloppy jalopies

don't know about fenders ... but somebody's cat has to go !

20. edcodesign

edcodesign
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Nice start, good luck !