Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects 38 Ford More Door 40s Custom

Discussion in 'Traditional Customs' started by Equipped28, May 25, 2016.

1. So back in the week between Christmas & New year & abit of down time lead to searching on Ebay/Craigslist at stuff I can't afford or have room for.
    Until we came across this sedan, we could kind of afford it but still had fuck all place to put it! Ignoring all of that a few email's back and forth trying to prove I wasn't a Nigerian prince trying to steal his money it turned out pretty good. We're in the middle of a house buy & luckily rented a place with a garage and drive so the 38 at least had somewhere to live now.

Here's the photo from the Ad that just sold it to us, spot on.
    [​IMG]

The car was with the guy in New Hampshire for a good few month's whilst it sat there I kept buying parts to put inside so it soon filled up. She finally set sail in April & so yesterday Me & Beanie set off early to Felixstowe to go bring her home. chuffed is an under statement considering the shipping cost more than the car you can see why.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

it's had a hard life but its solid as anything, originally from New Mexico the dry has done it good. it's stock as a rock plan is to restore it from the inside out. not normally a fan of patina but this is too good to mess around with for now so it's staying then will go full paint at a later date. i got a great pair of front fenders and a NOS rear with the car so that is a bonus.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

it will get a reversed front spring, same out back with longer shackles to get that lean back to go mid 40's style custom. convert to hydraulics and what ever else is needed really. couldn't help but mock it up with the 39' hood sides I picked up, deluxe caps and a cheeky spot light.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. Very cool. My dad had a 38 Deluxe fordor just like that, he sold it to @kidzintha34fodor

3. kidzintha34fodor

kidzintha34fodor

ImageUploadedByH.A.M.B.1464212098.432795.jpg

Here you go' the pickle!

4. The pickle is a lot prettier than This girl!

5. Jalopy Joker

Jalopy Joker

looks good - have fun

6. Inthemitten

Inthemitten

Awesome to see! I've got a '38 Fordor Deluxe as well just waiting to get going on it.

7. King ford

King ford
    from 08302

You don't really prefer the 39 standard hood sides to th e38 deluxe do you? IMHO I would throw the 39 standard set that I have down the steps for a 38 deluxe set!!...but I guess that's why they make vanilla and chocolate and 34 flavors in between !...I do think the 38-40 4 doors were perhaps the prettiest mordoors ever...nice score Bro enjoy it!

8. Great to see another mordor being built! sounds like you are moving along with your plans keep us posted. Hobo Jim

9. My plan originally was to fit in a Packard grill which I've bought to go along with the 39 sides just like the Dick fowler coupe.

ImageUploadedByH.A.M.B.1464265741.021044.jpg
    ImageUploadedByH.A.M.B.1464265759.094022.jpg

But seeing how good the grill is I can't cut it up so my plan now is to fill the front of the 39 sides. And then I can just swap them out if I'm feeling in a custom mood or stocker.

ImageUploadedByH.A.M.B.1464265786.974502.jpg
    ImageUploadedByH.A.M.B.1464266038.206515.jpg
    ImageUploadedByH.A.M.B.1464266048.261210.jpg

hfh and T-roaster like this.
  10. straykatkustoms

straykatkustoms
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I would build a four door version.... Love the art deco styling of the 38 Deluxe grill. Looking forward to watching your progress.

10582973_780375041983637_715417878278803977_o.jpg

Lines, exterminator, hfh and 2 others like this.
  11. rolled out tonight before putting it up on stands to check out the underneath could'nt help try the fender skirt back on!

[​IMG]

BigO, kiwijeff, T-roaster and 2 others like this.
  12. Squablow

Squablow

Looks like a nice car to start with, I'm sure any pre-war Ford is not easy to come by in England.

13. Progress slowed as was prepping the roadster ready to race at pendine. ImageUploadedByH.A.M.B.1465674567.043631.jpg

But back on it, picked up this late centre bolt 305 cheap took all the crap I don't need off it, I've got an full adaptor kit coming for the flatty 3 speed to go onto the back and with an old chrome front craddle we've had kicking around forever it should go in a treat!

ImageUploadedByH.A.M.B.1465674698.490848.jpg
    ImageUploadedByH.A.M.B.1465674710.915525.jpg
    ImageUploadedByH.A.M.B.1465674724.470402.jpg
    ImageUploadedByH.A.M.B.1465674734.292248.jpg
    ImageUploadedByH.A.M.B.1465674743.546967.jpg

T-roaster likes this.
  14. scrap metal 48

scrap metal 48

Cool project.. Cool sedan...

15. swifty

swifty

It amazes me how you guys in the UK can build your cars in those small garages! Like in the pic above you can only get to one side of the car to pull the engine. Hell I need 3 bays of a shed to build a car, one for the body, one for the chassis then one for the other parts. Looks like you're not wasting time on this one.

clunker likes this.
  16. donno

donno

Great score!! I love the 38's 'cause they are mostly ignored.

17. 49ratfink

49ratfink
    from California

cool car. I have never seen a "necker knob" like the one you have on the steering wheel

18. Another day on it, spent the morning cleaning the chassis up and then throwing some paint at it.
    ImageUploadedByH.A.M.B.1465755269.045258.jpg

Then got the three speed bolted onto the back of the small block.
    ImageUploadedByH.A.M.B.1465755342.465702.jpg

And shoe horned it in, fits good abit of a fight to get it all in with the front sheet metal on but I don't wanna strip it down if I can help it. The front cradle needs some modifying for years we thought it was to suit flathead mounts without ever measuring but it's just narrower than the flatty holes.

ImageUploadedByH.A.M.B.1465755650.663897.jpg
    ImageUploadedByH.A.M.B.1465755670.585047.jpg
    ImageUploadedByH.A.M.B.1465755687.469760.jpg

19. haven't updated this in ages and we're slowly getting along, now winter is here the building season begin's. with it being pitch black and having both cars living outside i'm resorting to taking parts off bringing them in the garage sorting them all out painting etc and then fitting them back onto the car on the weekend which is'nt working out as bad as i first thought.

first up was the axle getting a clean up.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

then onto getting that arse end down. 2" longer than stock shackles i made up and also flattening/reversing the rear spring with a couple leaf's removed has brought it down a good 4 or so inches, it may need some leafs putting back in once its been driven abit and settle but the plan is to just see the trim ring under the fender skirt.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

we then went out to the states for a buying trip doubled with abit of holiday which never hurts and with the opportunity of putting stuff in a container we took advantage and bought as much stuff to finish off the car as possible. even picking up all the fabric for the interior from santee alley mexican market which was a cool story.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

now getting up to date the last few weekend's we've turn the car around and started to do the front end Clark came over to help give us a push and to talk us out of the running the small block "because i was keeping the shit bit anyway" meaning the gearbox, so i had a 24 stud truck block i had got a while back with plans to go in my Steel T but that's a while off so it's going in the sedan instead. block is down at jim's for some machine work and getting hogged out to 3 5/16" to bring it up to a 258. i've ported it and it's factory relieved, running some edelbrock heads, a cam & 3 carb inlet should make this thing pull along just fine and maybe even tow the roadster in race mode.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

'Mo, kiwijeff, Squablow and 1 other person like this.
  20. 'Mo

'Mo

Lost me with the Chevy.
    Got me back with the flat head!

Got skirts for both sides?

Late to the Party likes this.
  21. no only the left i need to find another.

22. got the spring reversed today after work. will give a clean up and then paint and should hopefully have the front end back in tomorrow.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

and i've got the bumper issue sorted, Rich who's 41 we've just finished up fixing the rear suspension and bodywork on, had these 40 mercury bumpers which were too good to pass up on. A quick mock up on the front of the car, question is over riders or not? gonna have to wait till the car is in a colour to decide i think.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

23. Great project Equipped28! Not nearly enough early-styled custom sedans out there and they can look sooo good. Personally, regarding the bumper; I like the clean lines without the over-riders, but it may depend on what happens out back (lights in 'em?). Watching with interest.

Dave

24. So Christmas is here and that means days out in the garage to get stuff done. Christmas eve was spent driving, we had a ton of stuff we put on a pallet in October and shipped over here. It finally landed so we went to pick it up, also i bought a pair of heads and an intake for the flatty & that had luckily shown up at work the same day so could'nt resist a picture under the tree.

[​IMG]

Christmas day having to do the good thing and stay in the house, although i did manage to strip, clean & rebuild the two 97's for the roadster on the dinner table inbetween meals! in the parts from american we've got most stuff to get this thing rebuilt so first up was get the front brakes done its nice to be finishing things even though the car is a long way off.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Clark popped over these aftermarket shock mount brackets so going to give them a go. not too happy with the angle of the top bush and the way its binding but i will run it and see what happens if its no good i'll take them off and just make conventional batwing shock bracket. also pulled the small block back out the car that idea was short lived but im sure we did the right thing.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

the front sheetmetal goes back after every time i work on it and getting i'm a knack of doing it now managing to lift it on on my own. i pulled the old bumper irons off and to my surprise the outer bolts line straight up with the 40 merc bumper and they sit nice and tight to the body so no messing around there.

[​IMG]

could'nt not do a mock up with the packard grill & a bad photoshop job. i don't think Tammie is gonna go for it she loves the stock nose too much & i'm sure after all that work it would probably overheat on us with that small opening and everything else smoothed off & i want this thing to be a real driver. but it sure looks good.

[​IMG]

Asphalt Demon likes this.
  25. Love it man! Go Go GO!

26. JMHO, the stock nose looks better.

27. The37Kid

The37Kid

What a nice project, I'll be following the rebuild. If it matters, I like the '38 hood sides. Bob

28. scrap metal 48

scrap metal 48

Looking good.. I like the new bumper with over-riders... Grille will look super....

29. 'Mo

'Mo

The bumper looks great!
    How about another PhotoShop with the Packard grille, leaving the top of the stock grille (6 bars, down to side vent size) for extra ventilation?

Last edited: Dec 28, 2016
    Old Ford Coupe likes this.
  30. Old Ford Coupe

Old Ford Coupe

I just tagged your thread so I can continue to keep-up with your progress. I've always been fond of the `38 Ford Deluxe models although most rodders refer to them as the ugly duckling. I have a `38 deluxe but it's a coupe. Good luck and best wishes my friend.