Register now to get rid of these ads!

Customs I finished my Mysterion clone and have a book contract!

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by willys36, Jan 4, 2016.

1. bengeltiger

bengeltiger

Just incredible!

2. A bucket list thingie so not doing it never crossed my mind!

bengeltiger likes this.
  3. Just got a couple of great endorsements of the book!!

10-28-2016 8-49-20 AM.jpg

RICH B and loudbang like this.
  4. Here is a photo that didn't make it into the book. This is the finished body not only supports the fiberglass, it also defines the shape of the interior panels. LOTS of 3/4" x 3/4"and 1.5" x 3/4" tubing!

P1010393.JPG

5. Loyal copilot!

IMG_7420.JPG

Stogy, Lou kriger, LOU WELLS and 7 others like this.
  6. Colin HD

Colin HD

Got my copy earlier this week, haven't put it down.
    Good work, on both car & book.

7. Thanx! I wanted everyone to know the wonder I see in that machine.

dana barlow likes this.
  8. Here is a detail on my build that I discussed in the book but the publisher wouldn't let me include the picture so I had to describe it. The driver's side inside exhaust pipe interfered with the oil pan on the engine when I installed it at the angle that Ed did on the original. I found the picture below in an old mimeographed Autoworld bulletin that sure looks like Ed angled that pipe like I did on the next picture. If not I can't figure out how he missed the oil pan.
    12-31-2014 8-43-15 AM.jpg exhaust angle.jpg P1010593.JPG 10-26-2015 10-38-47 AM.jpg

Last edited: Dec 8, 2016
  9. 56sedandelivery

56sedandelivery
    Member Emeritus

I have followed this thread, and I have followed willys36 on this and other forums for many years now. I was ALWAYS impressed with his 36 Willys STREET CAR. Now he comes forward with HIS Mysterion. There just are't any words in my vocabulary to really describe what he's done. I'll have to leave it at that. Just phenomenal! I remember building the model when I was a kid, and he built/copied the actual car!
    I am Butch/56sedandelivery.

loudbang likes this.
  10. Very kind words Butch. I am humbled.

dana barlow and loudbang like this.
  11. abone1930

abone1930

Just got my book for christmas, so cool man , we'll done, have you fired the engine yet?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G890A using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

Last edited: Dec 25, 2016
  12. abone1930

abone1930

One more thing, does anybody have a pick of the mysterion from the Thacker book, showing just the body with the suspension cut off?

13. Haven't fired the engine. Tried turning it over and found some electrical problems. Timing must be off, I have spark and fuel but no pops. Brakes go to the floor I think the Chinese master cylinder is defective. Too busy with other projects but WILL get it running!! Glad you like the book. as mentioned before, please post a review on Amazon.

rear magazine last look 2-1.jpg

14. verde742

verde742

do you have a picture of Roth's Honda? just curious...

15. abone1930

abone1930

Thanks, you did a great job, been reading the book luv it, Mysterion was my favorite car he built, so as I gather no one ever found or talked to the kids who bought it?

loudbang likes this.
  16. went down to Galpin's museum in LA to get some photos of their version of the Mysterion for the book I wrote about it. I didn't take a picture of the Honda by itself, just got this view while shooting Rotar.
    P1010613.JPG

17. Tom Davison was friends with Doug Wright, was there when Doug bought the car but lost contact with him. Thacker evidently found him but I wasn't able to contact him for input on my project. Regardless Doug Wright eventually sold it and it was totally destroyed.

loudbang likes this.
  18. Chaz

Chaz
    Member Emeritus

Was our old FINKOSEL at Galpins when you were there?

19. Yes! You can just see it in the background of this Rotar shot. Sorry I didn't get a good snapshot of it by itself on this trip. That was a great carving project, I watched it as you were building it on snippets I could glean from the internet. I too have been a wood carver my whole live. Below are some snapshots of some of my carvings. My current project is a larger than live sized panther to donate to my high school on my 50th class reunion (Mysterion in background under car cover!).

P1010612.JPG
    Amer. Beauty 5x6.jpg

Bird  table done!3s.jpg
    I did the joinery very early small.jpg
    2003-01-01 00.00.00-23.jpg

20. 41woodie

41woodie

Just ordered your book from Amazon, I'm looking forward to reading the story detailing the demise of the original. All I remember is a story about the car being seen in the bed of a pickup in Tulsa. Seems like the frame was broken in half or something similar. Thanks for your commitment to the project.

21. I read that story too. Actually it could have been true since parts of the car changed hands several times but it was only a few scattered pieces after Doug Wright dismantled it.

dana barlow likes this.
  22. abone1930

abone1930

Man Willys36, you are one talented craftsman, you just took it to the next level with the wood carvings :) You must be retired :)

23. 41woodie

41woodie

Thanks for the response, I was not aware that another clone of Mysterion existed at the Galpin Museum. Hope there is a bit of info about it in the book. I'll be sure and review the book after I've read it.

24. Atwater Mike

Atwater Mike

'Bucket List'... I guess that's the most accurate 'why'. The wood work takes it to a dimension that's sublime. 'Amazing' is an understatement. Thank you for this enlightening thread...and the book that will guarantee its immortality.

25. There is a ton of information on the Dave Shuten/Mike Scott clone on the internet. There are especially a couple of YouTube videos of Dave showing the car .

Last edited: Dec 28, 2016
    dana barlow likes this.
  26. Actually still hacking on my 10hr/ day engineering job. I keep a Saturday Sabbath so sneak in these projects on Sundays, some week nights. On Sunday, get out in the shop @ 6am, work 'til 6 to 8pm w/ no breaks. When I retire, will have to keep that schedule 6 days/week to finish all the things I want to get done B4 they haul me off to Trembling Hills!!

dana barlow likes this.
  27. Incidentally my friend Mark Gustavson, curator of the Model Car Museum in Salt Lake City and all-round good guy gear-head is writing a similar book on Starbird's Predicta show car. Will be published by McFarland who published my book. Mark wrote a similar tell-all tome on Spence Murray's Rod and Custom Dream Truck many years ago. He self published that book. Really interesting reading and I think he still has copies for sale.

dana barlow likes this.