Register now to get rid of these ads!

Customs Merc chop progress with compiled project pics

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Verbal Kint, Jun 1, 2009.

1. Look what just arrived in the mail....

IMG_1481129490.434963.jpg

Been on the hunt ever since you did yours. How did you ever recognize it as a '39 Ford safety latch? I have tried to figure it out, but have never recognized the latch on any cars to say "Ahhhh, there it is." Totally stoked about it since mine has no safety latch (the factory one was "smoothed" off when the grille shell was molded in) and the hood blew open on the previous owner. I've messed and messed with my hood and fenders to get them all back in shape. I'm closer, but still not there....but glad I'll be able to protect against it happening again. Thanks for figuring it out and letting us know what you found.

Sent from my iPhone using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

Kustomkid likes this.
  2. Kustomkid

Kustomkid
    from Montana

Nice! I just got on to the H.A.M.B. Using the app and on the trending was a 39 standard safety latch in the classifieds. Looked at the hirohata photos and thought it was damn close. Didn't realize it was the correct on till it arrived. Glad everyone doing this front end treatment has a another part identified!
    How's yours coming along?

To chop, or not to chop. That is the question.

drdave likes this.
  3. I have to say after all the work you are putting into this car doing this for a finish is a let down. Customs were all about high end and nice paint. This seems like some trendy cliche.

koolkemp and James D like this.
  4. Kustomkid

Kustomkid
    from Montana

It's more that I have to move in 6-8 months and don't have the money to paint and chrome everything, and the car will be driven to its new home. The car will be completely finished in a couple years but can't do it now.

Last edited: Dec 10, 2016
    James D, Aussiepete. and drdave like this.
  5. Gotcha that I can understand.;)

6. Nothing wrong with lucking into it. :) I found one the same way after you posted yours, but it was sold already. Maybe it was the one you ended up with. LOL

I haven't really made any progress on mine other than racking up miles. This winter though, I plan on tearing into the front clip and fixing all the bent stuff once and for all....AND finally get rid of the port holes on the sides of the hood. Get that all squared away, I can finally finish the "transitional" paint job which will get rid of the remains of the ghost flames. I may also pull the rear window back out and take another crack at my headliner since my inaccurate sewing resulted in a poor fit.

Kustomkid likes this.
  7. Kustomkid

Kustomkid
    from Montana

Christmas Eve, everyone is asleep and I finally got the windshield, stainless, and wipers installed before Saint Nick arrives!!![​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    Merry Christmas everyone!

Last edited: Dec 25, 2016
  8. Way to use your "twas night before" time! turned out great

Kustomkid likes this.
  9. Kustomkid

Kustomkid
    from Montana

Now I can start stretching the headliner and see how it is going to fit.

10. OG lil E likes this.
  11. Kustomkid

Kustomkid
    from Montana

Not yet, it's been sub-zero and family hasn't yet me back in the garage. Hopefully this weekend.

OG lil E likes this.
  12. I haven't accomplished squat either. Blew the bottom seal out of the steering box on the Merc over a month ago and have yet to get a chance to get out and fix it. :(

Kustomkid likes this.
  13. Kustomkid

Kustomkid
    from Montana

Got alittle time in the garage today and did alittle wet sanding on the roof. The dupli-color wet sands very nicely and 0000 steel wool polishes nicely. [​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

drdave and Aussiepete. like this.
  14. Kustomkid

Kustomkid
    from Montana

I ended up finding some pictures of the merc when I got it and some pictures of the taillights on the old merc after I sold it. Enjoy. [​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

Squablow, drdave and OG lil E like this.
  15. Kustomkid

Kustomkid
    from Montana

16. I had no idea you sold the old one, I assumed you still had it.

17. Kustomkid

Kustomkid
    from Montana

No, sold it 7 years ago. It's in Sweden. It didn't turn out to bad for a 18 year old's third build. I had the current merc well before I sold the first one. Couldn't go with out a merc. I sold my 59 elcamino turned convertible in 2009. Hopefully the current builds will be better cars. Definitely taking my time with them.

drdave likes this.
  18. Kustomkid

Kustomkid
    from Montana

Got the merc back out side since November. Got it cleaned out and ready for tomorrow. Going to try and install the wind lace and start stretching the headliner.
    [​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

Last edited: Feb 18, 2017
  19. Kustomkid

Kustomkid
    from Montana

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: Feb 19, 2017
    drdave, OG lil E and Squablow like this.
  20. Kustomkid likes this.
  21. Kustomkid

Kustomkid
    from Montana

So I'm finally getting started on fitting the headliner. The passenger side wind lace is in along with the tack strip for headliner. [​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]
    I think the green windlace will look nice with the headliner. Hopefully driver side tomorrow night.

Squablow, drdave, 1959Nomad and 2 others like this.
  22. Kustomkid

Kustomkid
    from Montana

Started installing the head liner. I put a tack strip up behind the windshield to staple the front. So far it's going ok. [​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]
    [​IMG][​IMG]
    I going to get the kick panels in so, I can put the dash in so the Garnish molding can help hold the head liner so I can pull it back.

Last edited: Feb 26, 2017
    OG lil E and drdave like this.
  23. 55Deso

55Deso
    from Wyoming

Man that's looking good, keep it up!

OG lil E and Kustomkid like this.
  24. Kustomkid

Kustomkid
    from Montana

Thanks!

25. Kustomkid

Kustomkid
    from Montana

I'm thinking it may fire up and move under it own power next month. Going to get the frame swapped on the 59, and then the merc will be back on the lift to finish the exhaust.

26. Kustomkid

Kustomkid
    from Montana

The back of the headliner is in! Got to adjust the corners once it's dry, but it's in. [​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

27. Bruce A Lyke

Bruce A Lyke

the headliner looks great, very unique and well thought out

28. Kustomkid

Kustomkid
    from Montana

It's been a group effort with Dr Dave on how to do this. Wouldn't have gotten very far with out his help.

Last edited: Mar 7, 2017
    dos zetas and OG lil E like this.
  29. LOL, I dunno how much of a group effort, mostly what I've done is ask questions and watch with baited breath hoping to tear mine back out and try again with better results based on your success. Looking good! It looks like it's hanging real nice and even from the bows without sags in between.

30. Kustomkid

Kustomkid
    from Montana

I'm really surprised that it's fitting. I got to loosen up the front to get it tighter. I'm hoping to have the sides in on Sunday and start the package tray, want to try and get the rear window back in.
    I got alittle time off next week and hoping I can get some of the upholstery installed next week.

drdave and OG lil E like this.