Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical Bell housing cleaning

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by RMONTY, Dec 24, 2016.

1. RMONTY

RMONTY

Just wondering if anyone ever cleaned a bell housing by putting it in a self cleaning oven and running it through a cycle? It just popped into my head as I was wiping out the oven after the self cleaning cycle. I've got a 216 bell housing going on a fresh 235 I'm building and thought of this. A search turned up nothing...

2. manyolcars

manyolcars

do it and tell us

LOU WELLS likes this.
  3. doyoulikesleds

doyoulikesleds

At the machine shop we baked cast at 500 in an ampro cleaning system before blasting

4. Marcosmadness

Marcosmadness
    from California

Be sure that your wife isn't home when you do this. You also may want to be on a trip the next time your wife wants to use the oven to cook food. Other than that, it will work fine.

LOU WELLS likes this.

5. BJR

BJR

I'm guessing your not married are you?

kidcampbell71, Just Gary and 56don like this.
  6. RMONTY

RMONTY

Yeah no Mrs. here. I've used the dishwasher to clean intakes and other things with pretty good results so I think instead of a turkey tomorrow I'll bake a bell housing! I'll post results!

31Vicky with a hemi likes this.
  7. Mr48chev

Mr48chev
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

That is going to be hard to chew no matter how long you bake it. I have thought about putting the stove we have now in the shop to use for similar tasks when the wife decides she wants a new one in the kitchen if the oven and at least one burner still work then.
    I did see oven cleaner at Dollar Tree yesterday. 

302GMC likes this.
  8. AZbent

AZbent

A co-worker bought one of the HF powder coating system. Then he bought an old oven just for that purpose. Not sure if he has used it yet, but that is an idea. No worries about stinking up the house or contaminating for with leftover residue or smell. I know that half of the fun is seeing what you can get away with from the better half. Its just that certain things I won't try, especially if it involves me eating. I do like my food.

9. Whack job!!

It's going to bake the crap off, just like you think it will. That will be a success.
    It's also going to make everything smell - think burnt grease and what ever else is on it. Your next few turkeys will probably taste like a bell housing.
    Get an electric stove and put it in the garage for parts baking.

Flathead Dave and RMONTY like this.
  10. RMONTY

RMONTY

The way I figure it is if the oven can turn spilled cheese and food grade grease and such to gray ash, it should be ok to get some old grease and such off in the same manner with no worry of contaminating future quiche and biscuits.....just kidding about the quiche...real men don't eat quiche...

11. RMONTY

RMONTY

Back after I got divorced I was left with a few hodgepodge kitchen utensils none of which was an electric mixer. There was however a single beater from an old mixer that was left. Got the drill out of the shop and chucked that puppy up in the drill (after blowing the drill off good with the air gun) and didn't find any metal shavings in my self made birthday cake. *shrug*

slack likes this.
  12. GearheadsQCE

GearheadsQCE
    Alliance Vendor

When I was building my first Quickchange many years ago, I used the wife's BRAND NEW oven to heat the center section to remove the pinion. She hadn't used it yet.
    Since she was out, I figured I could get it done and air out the house before she got home. Do you know it takes about 72 hours to get the smell of burnt gear lube out of a home with all the windows open and fans running constantly.

Lucky for me that it did, in fact, clear out and we were able to use that oven for regular stuff for many years. Being the great guy that I am, when the springs on the door failed, I bought her a new one and moved the QC range w/oven to my workshop. I use it almost every day. It's now 33 years old.

I've got wings to bake while I work next week.:D

13. Flathead Dave

Flathead Dave
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from So. Cal.

Buy a used electric oven for this. You can get them very cheap. I know a couple of guys who have done this.

Sent from my SM-G930T using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

14. GearheadsQCE

GearheadsQCE
    Alliance Vendor

Had to mash potatoes for about 200 people at a church dinner. Used my 1/2 drill and a drywall mud stirrer. Had a lot of folks laughing, but they all ate the potatoes and were amazed there were no lumps.
    I did wash most of the drywall mud off first.

15. el Scotto

el Scotto
    from Tracy, CA

Hahahaha... this was a great thread just for the laughs!

I boiled a bong once, the house was skunky for several days. Those bachelor days huh! :p

Sent from my iPhone using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

falcongeorge and RMONTY like this.
  16. jvpolvere1

jvpolvere1

I don't know what climate zone you're in. What I have done in New York in the summer, is spray oven cleaner on a greasy part and let it bake in the sun all day. Then rinse with a garden hose or pressure washer. Good results and no chance of a grease fire and/or odors in your house.

Sent from my SM-T377V using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

falcongeorge likes this.
  17. 56sedandelivery

56sedandelivery
    Member Emeritus

I believe Martha Stewart has a book out on how to clean the various parts of an engine and transmission, in your kitchen oven; she releases her new book on differentials after the first of the year. If you season the parts correctly, there should't be any "offensive smells" or taste to other foods cooked in one after cleaning auto parts. It's getting hard to find heating elements, and other parts, for older ovens, so be sure to use as a new-as-possible oven to get the best results, and be sure you have a divorce attorney on retainer, or at least speed dial on your cell phone.
    I had a friend once who's kids got a new kitten; it had fleas, so they gave it a bath, and decided to dry it in the fairly new microwave oven. He had the micro wave oven up for sale for quite some time, and never managed to sell it. It seems anything cooked in it tasted like pussy.
    I am Butch/56sedandelivery.

18. That's so wrong but I can't quit laughing

1927graham likes this.
  19. jimmy six

jimmy six
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Hey, use what you want but I bought a cheap pressure washer from HF and it's been the best tool for cleaning I've found for big stuff. Scrap of the big crap with putty knives and maybe a wire brush then spray some "garage floor cleaner" on and let soak. The washer will knock off all the rest. Good luck.

20. 302GMC

302GMC
    from Idaho

Don't breathe any of the accumulation of crap inside the housing - old days clutch dust is asbestos. Heavy coat of enamel baked onto chassis parts helps keep road dirt & grease easy to clean.

21. I cleaned up a greasy '55 Chevy bell housing last year. I used oven cleaner on the inside since it was the worst, rinsed it off with the hose. The rest came off with brake clean and a wire brush. Wiped down the outside with lacquer thinner and painted it.

22. back in my bachelor days i baked a ham for dinner to impress my date. steamed rice, a salad, candles etc... it worked and the evening ended with a-boom-chucka-pow-wow.......
    three weeks later i opened the oven and found the ham we never finished........i could never get that smell out......

23. Did similar. Right before the dinner, I took a bottle of champagne and put it in the freezer to chill. DURING bow chicka wow wow, it sounded like someone threw a grenade into my kitchen. We ran in to check, the bottle exploded enough to blow the freezer door off its hinges.

Youth is wasted on the young.

24. Devin

Devin
    from Napa, CA

Took mine to the machine shop to have baked and blasted. Cost $25. Money well spent imho. [​IMG]

Sent from my iPhone using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

slack and RMONTY like this.
  25. bobbytnm

bobbytnm

Ah yes, kitchen appliances are often used in the car hobby.
    As a teen I learned that when you filled the dishwasher with engine parts; intake, oil pan, valve covers, timing cover, etc. you had better make sure you empty the dishwasher BEFORE your mom gets home from work....

...just sayin'

Bobby

26. All you need is an old beater truck and a local spray car wash. I clean all my parts from valve covers to bell housings, etc. that way. A buck-fifty buys you 4 minutes of hot, soapy, high-pressure action and it all drains out through the rust holes in the bed floor.

-just don't wear a white shirt.

27. 3 Weeks?
    Musta been some kinda boom chucka pow wow.

tb33anda3rd likes this.
  28. jvpolvere1

jvpolvere1

At least you got a good bang for your buck.

Yuck, yuck, yuck.

Sent from my SM-T377V using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

29. Flathead Dave

Flathead Dave
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from So. Cal.

DO NOT DO IT INSIDE OF THE HOUSE! HAHAHAHAAHA