Register now to get rid of these ads!

ot ram horns

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by 52lomofo, Mar 29, 2006.

1. 52lomofo

52lomofo

i have a pair of ram horn that someone cut the studs with cutting torch any tricks to getting the rest out??? thanks mike:) i wouls have posted this in the tech section but i cant get in for some reason

2. Beetle

Beetle
    from Texas

I'm assuming you are talking about the studs that hold the pipe on. Try welding a nut on what is still left of the stud. Let it cool. Then use an impact set really low, just enough to hammer it for a while. Some parafin or oil on it while it is still warm helps also. It usually takes me 1 to 10 times to finally get one out.

3. reece

reece
    from NC

In the past I have drilled a hole through the center of the stud that was left - then heated the area cherry red with a torch. I was then able to use an EZ out to get the rest.

On some of the worst ones I drilled the stud out until I was right at the threads on the manifold- I then used a punch to pick out the remaining pieces of the stud.

Reece

4. HEATHEN

HEATHEN
    from SIDNEY, NY

On the through holes, just grind what's left of the stud flat, center punch it, and drill it out with a 3/16 bit. Move up to 1/4 and 5/16, then rethread it with a 3/8-16 tap.

5. gasheat

gasheat
    from Dallas

What he said.

6. 52lomofo

52lomofo

7. Paul

Paul
    Editor

the Tech Archives are just that,
    archives.

questions of a technical nature such this one belong here in this forum.

8. muffman58

muffman58

The way I have always done them is to weld a flat washer on the broken stud first, as this will allow you to get good penetration on the stud, Then weld the nut on top of the washer. Sometimes a bigger nut will again allow you to get you`re tip down in there for a better weld. Heat the manifold where the stud goes in and screw it out! I have done hundreds this way on the car, or off! A word of advise, don`t use a extractor because if you break it........ Well, just don`t! Also remember to run a tap back down in the threads after you cool down the manifold! The new stud will screw in much easier with no likelyhood of breaking.

9. Hackerbilt

Hackerbilt

Theres a "MUFF"man I'd go to any day of the week. :D

The washer trick is the ultimate way to grab a broken bolt or stud IMHO.
    I've been welding for 30 years and welding penetration inside a nut still gives me trouble.
    Using the washer trick makes it childs play.

A bit of torch heat applied before welding can help the weld strength by preventing the cast from instantly sucking the heat from the MIG weld and making it brittle if the casting is big.
    Usually it isn't an issue, but if you only have a small MIG to play with it can help...

10. This works even better when you use a left-hand bit,sometimes the broken part back right out.

Doc