Register now to get rid of these ads!

History "Mature" H.A.M.B. Folks

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by bobg1951chevy, Oct 6, 2016.

1. Moselli

Moselli

67, would be 68 but I was sick for a year...

2. I personally don't like the term 'old age' Your age is just a number-that's it-your attitude is what carries you as the number gets higher. One of my Customers is 85-can't sit still-always on the go-always has some place to be and something to do.Still out works many men half his age.(Think Gene Winfield) Another customer called me today-hadn't heard from him in about a year-83 years old-working every day in his family business with his boys-looking to make another investment in their small family business of over $200,000.00
    Has no time to think about aches or pains, not getting things done,slowing down or hanging it up. Too interested in his family, business affairs,his equipment and how he can be better equipped to compete in his industry. Old age is a term that does not exist in these guys' lives. These guys are my heroes and how I hope I can be when my age gets to that number.

seadog likes this.
  3. Gray Ford

Gray Ford
    from Illinois

I think that I fit the profile .... Now..Ahh..What was the question??

bobg1951chevy likes this.
  4. ken bogren

ken bogren

I have looked forward to "Old age" pretty much all of my life.

Why?

Blame it on my Grandfather.

The guy was 65 when I was born and I guess we "bonded" instantly. He was still working as a carpenter and by the time I was old enough to drive I'd hung out with him as he built 4 more homes for himself and my family (he lived with us until he passed at 87). He constantly bragged about what great helpers my brothers and I were on those builds. He was being more than generous about that.

He taught me drive, that was a hair raising experience since he was more than a little speed crazy and apparently figured I should be too.

I got to hang around with him and his cronies for months on end at the lake in the summer, those guys were having a great time. Sure they all had the usual aches and pains, but that wasn't about to stop them from having a good time.

They made "old age" look so great I could hardly wait to get there (here? I'm 70 now ).

Now as far as cars went, whenever he could afford it he'd get himself one of those big Buicks, Chryslers etc, a few years old, but still able to get up and go. He sort of believed that if it would go 90 mph (or more) to were SUPPOSED to drive it that fast. He mentioned that to me a lot when he was teaching me to drive.

People often look at me like I'm crazy when I say I've looked forward with great glee to to getting old, but I have, and he is the reason why!

5. j3harleys

j3harleys

Had a friend tell me a few weeks ago he new he was going to get old, but he didn't think it was going to happen this fast. It does seem like a short ride.

bobg1951chevy and verde742 like this.
  6. AB6DO

AB6DO

IMG_0368.JPG 74......just a number. 53 happy years with the same lady. health is good and still enjoy working and driving these old cars.

7. verde742

verde742

One thing about it, Old age doesn't seem to last very long...

I ask a friend of mine " what's old age" He said 15 years older than your present age. !!!

8. foolthrottle

foolthrottle

About twenty years ago I went to Yosemite Park with my parents ,they teased me about getting the senior discount.

9. The37Kid

The37Kid

If you are reading this on December 23 I just turned 66, but it just seams like it was 1966 was a few years ago. Bob

10. GeezersP15

GeezersP15
    from N.E. PA

My Plymouth and I are the same age....68.....The Plymouth is still going strong. Me....not so much. And I was led to believe that these would be my "Golden Years". Yeah, right !!:eek:

11. What question ?o_O

12. 50Fraud

50Fraud

I'm 76. I feel some sort of perverse accomplishment at having reached this age, but I liked younger better.

seadog, bobg1951chevy and The37Kid like this.
  13. corndog

corndog
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Indiana

I am 70 but blessed to be healthy yet! Here is me and my dad with my first hot rod project when I was 18. And the second pic is me just a few weeks ago showing my latest find to Midas! Looking to buy me a done driving 30-32 steel highboy roadster! (just in case someone has one for sale!!!) first hot rod.jpg 34Ford3W (6).JPG

MO_JUNK, wraymen and Tony Martino like this.
  14. pappatyrone

pappatyrone

15. Bill Nabors

Bill Nabors

70 today. Still building, just slower

16. woodbutcher

woodbutcher

:D Hi corndog.Looks like your chief building inspector is on site helping out:p.
    Good luck.Have fun.Be safe.
    Leo

17. mike bourg

mike bourg

here is a 25yr old mind going on 76 come 6 12 17

bobg1951chevy and Tony Martino like this.
  18. krylon32

krylon32
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Nebraska
    1. Central Nebraska H.A.M.B.

Ready to turn 72 and just finishing a deuce highboy pu with chopped full fendered 5 window ready for the paint shop and another 32 lakester in the wings. Still busy with the chassis shop and selling parts. Gonna live the dream as long as I can.

19. Dad\'s car 001.jpg I'm 76 and finally decided to retire from driving my vintage dirt modified .

wraymen, Speedwrench and hd1084 like this.
  20. Member of the OCTAGENERIAN Club @ 83. Started on this P O S when I was 80. 2nd pic is as it is today. first light.jpg

Attached Files:

MO_JUNK, Deuces, 50Fraud and 3 others like this.
  21. Happy Birthday ...... did you get two days of gifts, as a kid ?

22. Blue One

Blue One
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Alberta

I'm 62 but I'm not qualified to post comments in a "mature" thread :D
    So I gotta go before they catch me :D

vetteguy402 likes this.
  23. Me too Larry,at 66 I am told I am immature by my wife and children.

But my 8 year old granddaughter Veda and I get along swimmingly.:D HRP

Blue One likes this.
  24. DDDenny

DDDenny
    from oregon

What day is this?

Dino64 likes this.
  25. raymay

raymay

I lost an older Brother in 2011 when he was 62. He had Picks Disease which is a form of Dementia and spent his last years in a Nursing Home. His situation taught me not to wait so a few years ago when I turned 62 I started collecting. This year I got all signed up and got my Medicare card.

26. b-bob

b-bob

I'll be 68 in two months. The brain thinks i am 21, but the body is worn out. Two days a go i worked on and under my car laying on the floor. Has taken these two days for the aches and pains to settle down. I envy you guys with hoists. I wore myself out working in a steel fab shop during the day and building cars at night. I think it depends on what you have done all your life, how you feel now. Neck and back operations have taken the fun out this hobby for me.

27. Youthful 68, yeah right!

28. Splitbudaba

Splitbudaba

IMG_2561.JPG IMG_2562.JPG 68 years young. Building my dream car - 1932 Ford 5 window coupe. Still working, aircraft inspector, doing the big Falcon Jets, 900, 2000, and 7X. Been on SS for a year and a half. Funny that's when I started my coupe. So I guess the government is funding my hobby? Cool!! Plan on making the 150 MPH club at Bonneville with my coupe, for my 72 birthday. Wish me luck!

Last edited: Jul 26, 2017
    MO_JUNK, bobg1951chevy and wraymen like this.
  29. Nobey

Nobey

71 here, and still building....

Last edited: Jan 7, 2018