Register now to get rid of these ads!

Features Altered Wheelbase Picture Thread

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by J.Ukrop, Aug 30, 2009.

1. a lot of work was performed on the rams car years ago. the focus then changed to the original tom coward tom catter comet. 1of 19 427 four speed cars made. now that the comets done and drivable work has started again on the dodge. they need to find out how to letter it as a ram charger car without getting sued. if they can't letter it as a rams car the work will stop once again.

loudbang likes this.
  2. guffey

guffey

jungle jim  66 in 67.jpg

3. mgtstumpy

mgtstumpy

Love this old Hot Rod article on how they did it to a 64 Fairlane
    [​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

mad mikey and loudbang like this.
  4. loudbang

loudbang

FLASH TRAFFIC FOLLOWS: Well as I was collecting and posting mopars I was looking at one photo and thought I know that guy and the flaming burnout. Looked at the rest and sure enough it's a bunch of photos of our own HAMB member racer-x of drag week and rebuilding after the crash threads.

Brian Kuhlmans Belle Dodge

BrianKuhlmansBelleDodge2-vi.jpg

BrianKuhlmansBelleDodge1-vi.jpg

BrianKuhlmansBelleDodge3-vi.jpg

BrianKuhlmansBelleDodge4-vi.jpg

BrianKuhlmansBelleDodge5-vi.jpg

BrianKuhlmansBelleDodge6-vi.jpg

BrianKuhlmansBelleDodge7-vi.jpg

BrianKuhlmansBelleDodge8-vi.jpg

BrianKuhlmansBelleDodge9-vi.jpg

BrianKuhlmansBelleDodge10-vi.jpg

BrianKuhlmansBelleDodgeATCO2001-vi.jpg

5. Great shots of Brians old car, really enjoyed that.

loudbang likes this.
  6. i don't know how or who started it but some how my last name got miss spelled. once it was miss spelled it kept getting miss spelled. there was a pro mod racer by the last name of kuhlman and i suspect thats where it came from. i spell my last name kohlmann. there are some cool shots there. i can remember were each one was taken. i mentioned how harrops car changed a lot in the group of pics posted. my car changed almost as much. sometimes the changes happened weekly. see how many changes you can find. its so cool how the cars evolved.

Last edited: Dec 23, 2016
    loudbang likes this.
  7. loudbang

loudbang

Yes that was how races were handicapped back in the day. There was a set formula for how many car lengths head start depending on the different classes. Some strips had the starting line marked off a certain distance to indicate one two or three car lengths to make it easier on the starters.

The Christmas tree start system with a number of yellow, green, and red bulbs started around 1962 and was mandated at NHRA tracks about 1965. (if you have time looking back in the vintage shots or drag cars in motion threads there are several shots of old trees and in at least one case that I posted it gives the dates when they first were introduced.)

loner2 likes this.
  8. wrenchbender

wrenchbender

Ahhh the infamous fire burnout at George rays as one of the few that got to see that in person I can say that was the best thing I have ever seen and that moment changed me forever and as soon as I got home I bought a 65 dodge and began my afx saga and after 4 of them I am ready to build another though mine were not nitro huffing full blown race cars but rather drag cars I drove on the street the next one I have on tap will be a nitro burning hemi car here is a pic or two of the last one I had

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Sent from my iPhone using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

9. At least we share the same wheel pattern and some of their distributors are up front! Lol

loudbang likes this.
  10. At least 427 I was at Bakersfield from Wednesday- Sunday, stuffed way in the back 40 though.

loudbang likes this.
  11. loudbang

loudbang

Did you do a build story here or on the mopar site? There was one I read some time ago that looks like this one.

loner2 likes this.
  12. elba

elba

Somebody school me how the Chevy Two " Fastbacks " were made !

13. DDDenny

DDDenny
    from oregon

14. this is the story on the fire burnout. things were getting a little crazy with the 65. we were doing flag starts then moved on to rosin burnouts then half track smokey burnouts. we were looking for something more. I had known about fire burnouts for years but never knew exactly how they were done. in the fall of 1999 I was at bruce larsons drag fest located in dauphine pa. some how the subject of fire burnouts came up. I was told bruce was the guy who invented it. I got with bruce and he asked why I wanted to know about his stuff. i told him I wanted to do some. it looks like fun. here is his story as told to me. the tires were not that good at that time so teams were always trying different things to gain a edge. he said it happened by accident one night. during a booked in match race several chemicals were mixed together in search of better traction. during the first burnout the mixture burst into flames. the crowd went wild. the track owner knowing he had something special told bruce to do it again on the next pass. not knowing if he could do it again he said he would try. the process was refined by lighting the mixture with a match so it could be repeated reliably. the one thing he said to me that was a key step for safety was make sure you connect the two puddles in front of the tires. doing it this way only one side needed to be lit. the fire would go under the car lighting the other side. several cars burned up trying to copy bruce. they would light one side then run around the car to light the second side. this took too much time. by then the first side was burning the car. bruce said he revealed his secret to the other racers after several famous cars were badly burned. nhra banned the act soon after several cars were completely destroyed. with bruce giving us his knowledge we had the process to pull it off. we just neede one more thing the formula on what chemicals to mix. he couldn't remember what he used. once we had that it was on. this is getting kind of long. if anyone wants to read the rest of the story I can continue with part two. I can back up wrench benders claim of being one of two witnesses who saw it happen. George ray held them at a safe distance away from the action

loudbang, mad mikey and saltflats like this.
  15. loudbang

loudbang

BudFaubelHonkerCornetAWB1-vi.jpg Bob Steel Flintstone Charger at Epping

Bob Steel FlintstoneChargerEpping11367DNCornetAWB-vi.jpg

Again

Bob Steele flintstoneChargerCornetAWBEpping51068DW-vi.jpg

OK pull up a seat and grab a cold one a BUNCH of Bud Faubel Honker

This version has Turbo 1964 body with 1965 front end

Bud Faubel honker cornetAWBTurbo64carwith65frontend2-vi.jpg

Bud Faubel Honker Turbo64carwiththe65frontend-vi.jpg

Bud Faubel HonkerCornetAWBTurboSSDISEPT65-vi.jpg

Bud FaubelHonkerCornet     Turbo.jpg

Bud Faubel vs Pee Wee Wallace Cecil County

Bud Faubel vs PeeWeeWallaceCecilCounty1066DS-vi.jpg

Bud FaubelhonkerCornetAWB11BLDragfest2001-vi.jpg

BudFaubelHonkerCornet and others.jpg

Bud Faubel Honker Cornet vs Hemi a go go

BudFaubelHonkerCornet vs Hemi a go goAWB92366DN-vi.jpg

BudFaubelHonkerCornetAWB2RSS967-vi.jpg

BudFaubelHonkerCornetAWB3RSS967-vi.jpg

budfaubelHonkerCornetAWBBUDSSDIAPR65-vi.jpg

BudFaubelHonkerCornetAWBPDP-vi.jpg

16. saltflats

saltflats
    from Missouri

I have to ask what the S/SA class is? Bud Faubel honker cornetAWBTurbo64carwith65frontend2-vi.jpg

17. loudbang

loudbang

loner2 likes this.
  18. saltflats

saltflats
    from Missouri

With twin turbo's?

19. loudbang

loudbang

Your guess is as good as mine. Strange things were happening between them and the factory AWB and the beginning of "Funny Cars" as we call them now. The officials could hardly keep up with the changes from week to week.

loner2 and mad mikey like this.
  20. Bruce is a friend of mine, and I also think he invented the fire burn out, He told me the same story years ago. COOL STUFF! Or should I say HOT stuff. :D

loudbang likes this.
  21. and everyone thinks they are doing the latest thing throwing a turbo on their ls. this car was way ahead of its time. the car made so much power the tires couldn't hold it. I have some cool video of the car making passes. when the boost comes on the car boils the tires like a dragster from the day. all of the special turbo parts were sold to a friend of mine some years ago. that would make for one cool recreation.

loudbang likes this.
  22. did everyone catch the engine set back and smooth firewall on the bud faubel dodge. they modified this car themselves. its the only factory awb car that im aware of that was modified like this.

loudbang likes this.
  23. wrenchbender

wrenchbender

S/SA is super stock altered they didn't want to use it as altered super stock cause every one of those cars would have had AS/S on the side lol and turbos were used long before this on the dragstrip as the malicoat brothers had a willys with turbos

loudbang and mad mikey like this.
  24. saltflats

saltflats
    from Missouri

Guess it was just me thinking Stock and Turbo just didn't fit.

loudbang likes this.
  25. Boss 302 Mustang

Boss 302 Mustang
    from Duxbury MA

S/SA is actually Super/Stock Automatic. That was the top class for stock along with S/S or Super/Stock for sticks.

saltflats likes this.
  26. II FUNNY

II FUNNY

Everybody loves Altereds and Altered wheelbase cars...but these^^^^ Altereds don't fit this thread....it's for Altered wheelbase cars only.

racer-x likes this.
  27. [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    IIFunny - My mistake. This time ya gotta forgive the slightly O/T Olds

1947knuck, saltflats, quick85 and 4 others like this.
  28. guffey

guffey

Cyclops1[1] (2).JPG cyclops b.jpg dodge 1964 cyclops liberty motors corrupter cyclops a.jpg

work in progress

29. guffey

guffey