Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical Help identify this axle

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by Oldphart, Dec 21, 2016.

1. Oldphart

Oldphart

I'm new here but I've been lurking and reading for awhile. Hopefully I'm in the right place to ask for help identifying the front axle that's in a '27 Model T project I just acquired. The existing set up isn't workable and I want to change to a transverse spring and replace the spindles with something I can install disc brakes on but it seems like I need to know what it is first. Any other advice or input is welcome.

Thanks in advance.

Attached Files:

2. 117harv

117harv

37-41 with model A spindles and drums.

Oldphart likes this.
  3. alchemy

alchemy

I think the previous builder just threw those spindles and brakes on so he could roll it around.

Toss those A spindles and buy either 37-41 spindles or 41-48 spindles and king pins. Many disk brake kits to fit these spindles.

Oldphart likes this.
  4. Oldphart

Oldphart

Perfect, just what I needed. Unfortunately the previous builder threw lots of incorrect parts at the car. The good news is that I got it in a trade and don't have a lot invested.
    Thanks Gentlemen for your responses.

5. Bud Crane

Bud Crane

Looks like a Model A truck axle, spindles, brakes, etc.

Oldphart and X38 like this.
  6. alchemy

alchemy

Could be, it's hard to tell scale in pictures. If that's the case, the perches were cut off a long time ago since they have a rusty patina on top that looks the same as the rest of the axle. I guess if it was a late 30's axle the perches would have had something sticking up originally anyway, so they are cut off too.

7. Tim

Tim
    from KCMO

Looks like an A axle to me, those are A brakes for sure though. It does look like the steering arms have been messed with however because they have the tie rod in front of the axle not behind it.

Aaaaaanyhow it's not a stock set up suspension wise so what difference does it make if the perch pins have been messed with? They are interchangeable so it doesn't really date the axle. You can measure the distance between the perch holes and it will help narrow it down what year the axle is.

What would I do.

1: tear it all apart and cut those coil overs off
    2: buy some spring over perch pins and bolt on the correct spring for that axle, model A or whatever it ends up being
    3: go find and read a recent post that talks about all the brake options you have for model A spindles. That car will no be so heavy that discs are required so if you can just run the A's and some strong drum brakes then you'd be money ahead.
    4: fix those steering arms

Anyhow that's my vote hope it's at least caught helpful

Last edited: Dec 24, 2016
    Oldphart likes this.
  8. alchemy

alchemy

I think if it's a TRUCK axle the difference will be a LOT. No new aftermarket perches to fit the truck axle. The perches are wider apart, so a regular spring won't fit. Then, the axle bosses are larger so he can't use any standard passenger spindles. That's where we were going with that thought.

Oldphart likes this.
  9. 1946caddy

1946caddy
    from washington

Tim and Oldphart like this.
  10. Oldphart

Oldphart

First thanks to all who took the time to respond.

Armed with my new information I went on a search for the components I'll need and ran across a complete set up: axle, brakes, spring, shocks, gearbox, the works for $720 on Ebay with free shipping. The same set up lists for $2300 on their website. Obviously I'm concerned that it's imported junk but awhile back I bought tubular A arms from the same vendor for my '56 (also on the cheap) and they worked out great so I decided to take a chance.

They have two more at that price. I'm posting a link below just in case anyone else is interested. Mind you I haven't received it yet so I'm not recommending anything, just sharing info.
    http://www.ebay.com/itm/Universal-4...ash=item2a6ac66307:g:01cAAOSw-0xYUZVN&vxp=mtr

11. badshifter

badshifter

If it's not too late, cancel your order. Johnny Law motors is the Hoffman group. The worst of the worst in quality and engineering.

X38 likes this.
  12. alchemy

alchemy

13. Tim

Tim
    from KCMO

As far as I'm aware a model A truck axle will take all standard parts. Spindles, perches and etc.

And really a later one as far as I'm aware is also the same as a car axle until
    The trucks started using parallel springs which this obviously doesnt

Though if I'm wrong I'd love to see some reference as I've googled it about a billion times and have yet to find anything other than some of the big AA axles are stamped with AA DB instead of ford

14. Oldphart

Oldphart

Thanks but I've already rolled the dice. We'll see what I think in a week or so. I'm thinking I'll replace the bearings with US made and go from there.

15. Oldphart

Oldphart

An update on the Ebay axle. It arrived in four boxes and looked pretty good but as I pieced it together I found some things missing. I called and they told me there should have been five boxes and the parts for the fifth box were on B/O but would be here on Jan 9th. Later they said it would take longer, much longer. I didn't want to wait so after some back and forth they issued a $140 refund and I agreed to buy the missing parts elsewhere. I bought the kingpin kit from Speedway and have what I need for the rest on hand. Now that the smoke has cleared I have $620 in a complete front axle set up with disc brakes (11" GM style rotors and calipers) I really think I scored. I'll save the Model A axle for future use.

16. Fordors

Fordors

For starters a quality US made Vega steering box goes for more than half of what you spent, I'll leave it at that.
    Anyone setting up suspension components would do well to research what other, experienced people are doing and ask lots of questions.