Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical Water in oil

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Scott, Dec 22, 2016.

1. Scott

Scott

But no oil in water.
    Preface, SBC on engine stand started and ran nicely for about 15 minutes. went to drain the oil and got the dreaded milkshake, but only about an extra quart or so . I'm thinking intake manifold gasket. anyway Im in the process of removing the intake. Hopefully not the head gasket.

2. insinna

insinna

Probably intake....was the exhaust white smoke?.... If so head gasket time

Sent from my 6045O using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

3. Could be anything, keep your eyes open
    Since on a new build nothing has proven itself.

4. Scott

Scott

I pulled the intake, and there is fresh coolant clinging to the bottom of the manifold. I had used a stock felpro gasket and went about the normal sealing process. I am using a 2101 performer manifold(used.) Would I be better off with the 7201 edelbrock gasket? I have one on the shelf.

LOU WELLS likes this.

5. Scott

Scott

I talked to the edelbrock tech and he suggested felpro 1256 (which is what I used before) Ill give it another try

6. Scott

Scott

also are the exhaust crossover restrictors a source of problems?

7. Atwater Mike

Atwater Mike

When I was an apprentice, we worked on everything... International trucks (big 6) were constantly blowing head gaskets.
    Later in higher level shops, better cars and trucks were blowing head gaskets, but cracking heads.
    Progress is everything...

8. Fit up dry and see if the mating angles are off first.

wraymen likes this.
  9. Scott

Scott

Yes!

10. 6-bangertim

6-bangertim
    from California

I'd dab some RTV sealer around the water jackets just for GP... then let it cure overnight. Good Luck, Tim

Scott likes this.
  11. This. Leave the intake passages dry. But seal the water ones. Also sneak up on the torque, to ensure the manifold is seated properly

12. elba

elba

I O/H my first SBC when I was 16 and didn't know much but had a lot of ambition . I only torqued the heads ( to the max torque ) one time and had what you have now.

13. let us know the out come ....

14. Scott

Scott

I sure will, probably get it done after Chrstmas.

6-bangertim likes this.
  15. Scott

Scott

OK didnt abandon this thread.
    Saturday, I put on a new manifold gasket as per the edelbrock tech. Torqued manifold to spec 25 ft/lbs
    let it set for 24 hours, hit it with the torque wrench one more time. Let it set another 24. Added coolant. Im letting it set overnight to see if any coolant ends up in the oil pan.
    A couple of observations while doing the job. The Edelbrock Gaska cinch doesnt seem as "grippy" as the store bought kind with the girl on the front. It seems to lose its tackiness. That being said I used the permatex high tack this time. That stuff is NOT letting go. It will stick to air.

16. manyolcars

manyolcars

Did you examine the valley well? I bought a 68 Vette with milkshake and found a crack running across the valley. A little JB Weld epoxy and it was good for years

17. Scott

Scott

SUCCESS fired right up, rav for about 10 minutes came up to temp. No water in oil and it sound good. About 60psi,180-109* 14Volts

18. Scott

Scott

Check that FAILURE water seeped into the oil over night, Im sure it is NOT the intake, pulling down the engine piece by piece and selling off the parts :(

19. Blues4U

Blues4U
    from So Cal

Giving up a little easy, aren't you? Your OP stated the engine was on a stand, is it still on a stand? Pull the oil pan and pressurize the radiator and look for source of water. It may not be the manifold at all.

20. Good approach. It could still be the intake since it did improve on the initial fire up. Go over every surface to make sure they are flat and have no casting boogers hanging off them.

21. toxic waste

toxic waste
    from Iowa

Did you put sealer on head bolts ? Head bolt holes go into the water jacket.

22. southcross2631

southcross2631

Make sure the intake has not been cut . I bought a used intake and had to double up on the intake gaskets to get it to work. It was either that or throw away the intake. Do not use anti freeze until you find your leak. Anti freeze or coolant as its called now days will ruin bearings in no time.

23. Water in the oil can come from lots of places. a pinholed block, porus casting hairline crack in the block.. warped gasket surfaces and milled heads , decked block or milled intake causing misalighnment.