Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical Air brush for beginers

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by upspirate, Dec 21, 2016.

1. upspirate

upspirate

I'm buying an air brush for my wife for Christmas, and wondered if this one will be OK for learning on and move up to a better one after we see if she likes it.
    I bought this compressor, and wondered about this brush:

http://www.harborfreight.com/16-hp-58-psi-oilless-airbrush-compressor-60329.html

http://www.harborfreight.com/deluxe-airbrush-kit-95810.html

I realize there are better ones out there,but wondered if this would be OK to start and move up if she takes to it.(I think she will, she does lots of crafts)
    Not really sure what she would do with it, but I'm pretty sure she'll get into it

Also, what would be a good one to move up to ( don't really need a $500 pro model though)

2. upspirate and Murphy32 like this.
  3. Hi-Flying

Hi-Flying

4. I'm a big fan of Harbor Freight. But I would go with HRP this time. I was an illustration major in College in the 80's, a Badger 100 is what I used,
    and they aren't all that much scratch. Since Xmas is right around the corner maybe give her the HF to just play with over the weekend, and have a Paasche delivered next week. She'll find a use for it, like having two different colts going at once or something.

This Badger 150 double action is a good one too (around $100)

http://www.dickblick.com/products/b...w=25002-0000&gclid=CJLv6_nChtECFYWNswod5MYEug IMG_1482365932.014695.jpg that is my badger

The Paasche HRP suggested is just as good

upspirate and loudbang like this.
  5. Slopok

Slopok

Harbor Freight will take it back with the receipt, even they know that they sell junk!

clem and upspirate like this.
  6. metalman

metalman

I use to teach airbrush classes and I always warned my students to NOT by a cheap airbrush. Like HRP said above, start with a junk airbrush and you would probably give up out of frustration before you even had a chance. The old idea start cheap and upgrade later really doesn't apply with air brushes. They are a finicky little tool, very close fitting small parts. Of course price equals quality, you would be amazed at how better and easier a $400 airbrush sprays compared to a $100 brush. Now I'm not saying she should start with a $400 brush but seriously you probably need at least one in the $75 to $100 range, make sure it's a duel action. The Paasche HRP shows is a good brush, I personally like and use Iwatas and they too have good brushes in any price range.
    Of course I guess I should ask, what is she going to use it for? Lot of difference between needs for fine detail art to T shirts or cake decorating.

upspirate and loudbang like this.
  7. JOECOOL

JOECOOL

The hock shops around here seem to have them quite often.

8. Gearhead Graphics

Gearhead Graphics
    from Denver Co

I like Iwata, you can pick up a NEO for under 100 pretty easy, or you can drop 300 on an eclipse.
    Whaever you get her get a dual action, big help for any sort of work.

As for the HF tool glen weisgerber is a big time pro at paint work and he uses the HF unit. Did a few videos on them even, said its a legit piece.

clunker and loudbang like this.
  9. Ideally you need to find out who has extra tip and needles,bend the needle and it won't work.

I rebuilt the Passache air brushes last week and one was made in the 70's. HRP

10. If she is serious about airbrushing, do her a favor and get her a dual action brush. I have been using an airbrush to paint and weather large scale model trains for almost 30 years. I use, and highly recommend the Badger line of brushes. A single action brush is just as hard to learn, and much, much harder to get the results you want.

loudbang likes this.
  11. Ebbsspeed

Ebbsspeed
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Can one of you point out the difference between a single and dual action airbrush? Thanks in advance.

belair likes this.
  12. I have a few air brushes, all dual action. The only one I really use is my Iwata HPC ( I think that is the model name). I just use my shop air, about ninety feet from the compressor, pressure regulated, dropout, and TP type filter/dryer. Iwata is great quality, in my opinion.

Last edited: Dec 22, 2016
  13. belair

belair

I second the request for an explanation of single and dual (a duel is a fight) action brushes.

14. David Gersic

David Gersic
    from DeKalb, IL

Single action = you control only airflow. Air sucks paint through a fixed orifice, and sprays it on whatever you're pointing it at. Works like a carburetor basically. You can open or close the butterflies (airflow). The Venturi affect pulls gas through.

Dual action = you control both airflow and paint flow. Air sucks paint through a variable orifice. Imagine a carburetor with infinitely variable jets.

Sent from my iPad using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

clunker and belair like this.
  15. Ebbsspeed

Ebbsspeed
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Thanks! So dual action is similar to a carbureted airplane piston engine, where you can adjust both the throttle and the mixture from the cockpit. Makes sense.

16. upspirate

upspirate

Thanks for all the opinions/advice . I knew the HAMBSTER family would come through!
    As far as the usage, who knows what she will do with it, but she will probably use it for painting pics as she does that now, ( watercolor,oils,s-pen on a tablet,pencil drawing, etc) ceramic decorating, NO cake decorating as she does lo-carb, and I don't eat cake. I thought about one of the small blasters for etching glass etc to go with it also.....I do some stained glass every so often and it would be nice to have a way to etch designs on some of my pieces.

I decided to wrap the compressor I already bought, not open the box and return it to H-F after Christmas as the set I just ordered won't be here in time.

I just ordered the compressor / brush set that HRP suggested. Thanks again all

clunker and jnaki like this.
  17. The double action air brush works very similar to a conventional automotive spray gun just considerably smaller.

The advantage to a lot of the dual action brushs like a Paasche is the ease in which you can change out the head assembles and needles that comes in a 1,3 or 5 and these control the paint from a hairline up to a wider pattern. HRP

18. If she's never used an airbrush before I'd lean toward the Paasche model H single action brush. It can handle a decent variety of media and in this kit it comes with three different sizes of nozzles and aircaps for fairly fine to broader spray patterns. It's easy to clean, stone-axe simple and less prone to damage. If she gets a feel for using this then the Paasche V dual action brush would be a nice upgrade. And the H will still be useful for other specific tasks.

https://jet.com/product/detail/7d37...61_kwd-4579122332323962:na:na:na:2&code=PLA15

19. Jalopy Joker

Jalopy Joker

so, what is it that you want painted with a air brush? has she ever expressed interest in air brushing?

20. upspirate

upspirate

She's just interested in trying new things.For example I bought her a cheap Dremal style tool and attachments & she loved it so I upgraded to a much better one.
    I think she'll get into the airbrush and who knows what different things she'll use it for !!!

clunker likes this.
  21. henryj1951

henryj1951
    from USA

dual is paint
    and
    air , so you can use only air when you want
    here's a vid on 70's
    WITH airbrush freak dots being made

22. It's a great gift idea, she's gonna love it

23. Oh yeah please don't forget to post some of the art work on the Friday Art Show threads so we can all enjoy them Merry Christmas!! Hobo Jim

upspirate likes this.
  24. upspirate

upspirate

Well , she's very excited about getting into this art-form. You should have seen her face when I said you can unwrap the H-F compressor, but not open it and we are taking it back Monday!!!
    I showed her the link HRP sent and I ordered from.
    I also got her one of those little eraser/ blaster things so she can etch, etc with it

Thanks again for all the knowledge and help to get the right stuff

clunker and David Gersic like this.
  25. xpletiv

xpletiv
    from chiburbs

Find a 40% off coupon from HobbyLobby and see if you can use it on their airbrush equip.,
    they have full kits and parts.

upspirate likes this.
  26. No Plan

No Plan

Had Paasches since I was 13 years old. First was an F then a little later dual action VL's. I am now 66. A few years ago bought my first Iwata. Wow! IMHO it's the Cadillac of breeze brushes! Used it last week on a Christmas sign for my wife. Love it like no other.

fullthrottle24, clunker and upspirate like this.