Register now to get rid of these ads!

History Ken Crawford's "Kenz Muffler" C Fuel FED.

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Jimmy B, Feb 15, 2010.

1. Recently I have been emailing with Ken Crawford who ran the lakes post war. Ken was the driver of Bill Burke's 1st belly tank and 1st driver of the first rear engined belly tank. Ken's roadster was featured in "Look" magazine in 1947 and has been restored by Mike & Chuck Longley.

Now the reason for this post is Ken emailed me some pics of a C Fuel Dragster he ran in 1963-64, The Chassis was built by Kent Fuller, body by Wayne Ewing, and Tony Nancy interior, Ken built the engine for the car which was a 301cu. in SBC.

Ken's team ran the car at the 1963 U.S. fuel & gas championship held at Famosa. The team won the "most outstanding performance award" for the little 301cu. in's performance on 100% nitro, it the first unblown Chev into the 8's.

That is Ken wearing the glasses
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    Cheers
    Jimmy

Last edited: Feb 16, 2010
  2. Thanks Jimmy. Simply stunning car, what a beautiful mill. The car represents a zenith of rodding style. And into 8's- I'd like to see & hear that package haul. It'd make an amazing re-creation.
    Bakersfield looks like a sweet strip on You-tube.

Last edited: Feb 15, 2010
  3. Used Up Junk

Used Up Junk
    from Merced, CA

God the body on that thing is a work of art! I'd love to be able to form metal like that.

4. lippy

lippy
    from Ks

There ya go!! It looks like spacers on the exhaust flanges on the first photo of the engine with the short pipes? Man there were so many neat cars through the years. Lippy

5. KING CHASSIS

KING CHASSIS

Always loved that car. About 6 years ago there was a car on ebay that claimed to be that car. could have been,body looked just like it.

6. dieselc

dieselc
    from ohio

That is one sweet FED.

7. exStreamliner

exStreamliner

Great post! I just learning more about FED's since I never had an interest when I was younger... working in a shop with a half a dozen FED's laying around doesn't hurt either... I love the body on this one

8. Littleman

Littleman
    Alliance Member
    from OHIO, USA

BadAss Digger.............I love the short straight pipes...........Littleman

9. RichFox

RichFox
    Member Emeritus

Looks like they ported it to the point that the pipes would have interfered with the header tube. So you make a spacer with the header bolts farther out away from the port. Bolt it on the head with countersunk allen head bolts and port the spacer and countersunk bolts to the port. make new custom header flanges to fit your spacers and Bobs your Uncle. Whet ever that means.

10. TheFrenZ

TheFrenZ
    from Germany

What a beautiful Digger.Thanks much for sharing Jimmy.Stuff like this inspired me to build my first Panhead the way it is.Very cool stuff.

11. lippy

lippy
    from Ks

Hi Rich, I ran a set of port plates on my 288 M/P engine for big tube headers, but it didn't look like the pipes were that big on this! But I'm old and my eyes are too. LOL. I noticed in one place they mentioned 100% nitro. Lippy

12. slammed

slammed

So frakin' cool it hurt's!!!!

13. Stovebolt

Stovebolt

Well bugger me Jamie - you've done it again :eek:

14. Ken 'Kenz' Pina

Ken 'Kenz' Pina

Very cool to see all of you guys so interested in this. Ken Crawford is my grandfather. In fact, my namesake!

I've been helping him out with his computer lately since it's his newest hobby. His automotive stuff is only one of many things he has become an expert in. In fact, his woodworking skills are just as impressive.

I can pass info on if needed...for those that don't already have his email address.

Thanks
    Ken

15. 327-365hp

327-365hp
    from Mass

Great post Jimmy. You're always coming up with good stuff. Interesting to note the changes made to the engine between the Lions photos and the Hot Rod mag article. Painted valve covers, different pipes and magneto. Article mentions Howard aluminum heads?? Beautiful car, Thanks Ken for the pics and the memories.

16. The "HAMB Historian" strikes again! The FED's from that era, are some of the most stylish race cars ever created. Does anyone else find it ironic, a car sponsored by a "Muffler Shop", having the shortest pipes ever seen? :eek: Thank You Jimmy, another one for the "Historic Archives".

17. G'day Ken, welcome! Your Granddad is a true Hot Rodding legend and it has been an honour and privilege to be able exchange emails with him. Could you ask him to join the HAMB? I know his input would be appreciated.
    Cheers
    Jimmy

18. jolly convincer

jolly convincer

Can any one tell me if this grandson, Ken Crawford lives in Missoula Montana? thanks John

19. Tommy's Cycle

Tommy's Cycle
    from So Cal

Ken & Keith used to do all my exhaust work when I was a teen. Right there on Saviers Road in Oxnard. Sold Appliance Headers and wheels too.

20. Marty Strode

Marty Strode

I had the good fortune to meet Ken last Saturday at an event, what a guy! He is very sharp at 86, we had a great time visiting. We are now in contact, swapping pictures and stories. He is in the center in this shot.

Attached Files:

21. swifty

swifty

Nice article about Ken and this car in The Jalopy Journal "Scrapbook" which I've been reading.

22. craiger13

craiger13

23. craiger13

craiger13

Hello Ken, I am one of the previous owners of the Kenz Muffler dragster. I have some interesting info about the cars later life...I purchased it in the mid 80's. Craig Durkee

24. Marty Strode

Marty Strode

Ken sends me some interesting pics, he lives about 5 hours from me. I am going to make the trip and spend some more time with him. Here he is last August, looking over my latest creation. IMG_4783.JPG Kenz Muffler-Gary Cagle.jpg Kenz%20Muffler%2058.jpg

25. Bellytanker

Bellytanker
    from California

Hi Craig, I'm Keith and I've owned Kenz Muffler for the past 37 years. I don't know if Ken ever responded to you about the dragster, but he's been really getting into the thread on Facebook lately about the old days of racing. So if you see this, and if KC hasn't communicated with you, would you please contact me here, or on Facebook? Thanks. Keith Griffin

26. scrotilson

scrotilson

Kent Fuller is the process of recreating the Kenz Muffler dragster as I write this.
    Doug Pratt