Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical 1935 ford truck trans mount

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by gasmanm01, Dec 20, 2016.

1. I have a 35 ford truck that I am using the flathead, and the orignal rear end. I want to install a 5 speed from a s-10 . I have done this on f-1 ford trucks, but I do not want to hack up the original crossmember. I know I will have to go with a open drive conversion. Who has a lot or way of installing the trans without cutting up the frame?
    Thanks[​IMG][​IMG]

Sent from my iPhone using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

Jeff34 likes this.
  2. Ed Angel

Ed Angel

Cool truck !
    A tape measure and a few minutes should answer the fitment question. Would let you know where the trans will rest and how much clearance issues you might have . Are those front fenders glass ? They just have a different look to them .

Sent from the frozen North

3. Schwanke Engines

Schwanke Engines

No reason to "Cut up" the frame, we just finished a 35 Ford 4 door doing the same thing, just get the TCI kit and drill out the rivets on the factory x member and install the new one in its place no cutting, just getting rid of rivets and replacing with bolts.

4. treb11

treb11
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

5. alchemy

alchemy

If you want the original center to your crossmember left in there, it ain't gonna work. The T5 has a big ol fin down the bottom of the tailhousing. Do some simple measuring and you'll find it will be into the same space the crossmember wants to be.

Some guys have removed the top half of the crossmember, leaving the bottom portion though.

6. daleeric

daleeric
    from Omak

The chassis engineering cross member fits where the old one did, drill out rivets, and works great.

Sent from my SM-G920V using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

7. Thanks, yes the fenders are glass, the rest of the truck is all steel, a little rust and a draw small dents and no filler anywhere. I remembered the chassis engineering kit after posting. I will have to
    Make some tabs for the rear links to mount to which I have figured out.
    I looked at the jeep trans so I could retain the closed tube driveshaft and that is a option. I talked to the guy that builds the kit but you still have to come up with a adaptor to bolt the trans to the flatty.
    The t-5 is more available from s-10s and the conversion parts are available. Thanks for the info

Sent from my iPhone using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

8. southcross2631

southcross2631

Did a 39 Ford with a Stroker Merc flattie and S-10 5 speed used the T.C.I. crossmember kit . Used a Granada rear and parallel spring kit . Worked slick and the customer was very happy.

8350 likes this.
  9. Schwanke Engines

Schwanke Engines

This is exactly what we did minus the stroker, our customer wanted it original so we did a full rebuild on the 35 Flattie. Works fantastic, the car is just a blast to drive, handles the road with the factory suspension height like a dream.