Register now to get rid of these ads!

Art & Inspiration Why'd You Pick That Color?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Jive-Bomber, Dec 14, 2016.

1. Sorry I'm late to the party... :oops: When I read the title of this thread, I thought it was being critical, so I just passed by, until tonight. :)

Why did I pick that color? It's a long story, so I'll give you the short version.

I thought I wanted it (my avatar) all Corvette Yellow, but I didn't want it to look like I rolled the windows down and dipped it. :eek: I even bought the paint.

#100 HEMI DEUCE.jpg

Then I thought I wanted it black and yellow...

32 Ford black & yellow.jpg

So, I started painting the black base coat and I couldn't figure out how I was going to split the colors and I didn't want the frame yellow (bumble-bee look).

Then I had to leave for several weeks and when I came back, I either had to sand it all off and start over or just leave it for a while, because the open time was way over.

When I looked at the base coat black I kind of liked it. But, I knew it was vulnerable without clear coat! I also saw some repairs that got overlooked, so I said I'd repaint it after 100,000 miles. That was in 2005. Now I have over 71,000 miles on it and it still looks good, except for some normal road rash.

Here is a picture of it at a cruise night last spring in FL...

IMG_5888.JPG

I like it black, not shiny and not flat. It has that sinister look... :cool:

Boy am I ever glad I didn't paint it yellow!!!

2. D.N.D.

D.N.D.
    Member Emeritus

My aunt bought a new Chrysler 2 dr hard top in 56' and in 63' bought a new one again, so I bought the 56' and what a great tow car Don_Nowell_1938_Chevy_Gasser_super-wide_screen_wallper.jpg it made
    I always liked the Mediterranean met blue and powder blue two tone that was on the car , so I painted the 37' the darker blue and what a great looking pair they were hooked up and on the road
    DND

Jet96, Gotgas, Montana1 and 1 other person like this.
  3. aussie57wag

aussie57wag
    from australia

[​IMG]
    Didn't want the usual blue and white or red and white but wanted 50s pastel colours. Some hated it, 1482043017739.jpg others loved it, some it grew on.

Sent from my SM-T805Y using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

4. Jim Mothershead

Jim Mothershead

mcsfabrication likes this.
  5. Jim Mothershead

Jim Mothershead

Yep, Blue One is right....aka a value = black, white, gray.
    I still have a live can of Dupont 99L lacquer. Using a DDT bug sprayer in 1957, I sprayed the dash and garnish mouldings on my first car = 1950 Chevy Bel Air hard top. Still have the bug sprayer too.
    Drive 'em, Jim

Attached Files:

Last edited: Dec 18, 2016
  6. Jim Mothershead

Jim Mothershead

Decisions, decisions.......maroon ? Rosina & Cheryl cruize our \'32, Nats East 2000.jpg Rosina & Cheryl cruize our \'32, Nats East 2000.jpg NSRA Nats East, June 2016.JPG Rosina & Cheryl cruize our \'32, Nats East 2000.jpg NSRA Nats East, June 2016.JPG

7. Jim Mothershead

Jim Mothershead

WOW......looks like I studd Board Walk Cruize Nite, May thru Sept every Friday, North Beach, Md..JPG ered pix.....gotta fix..........

8. Jim Mothershead

Jim Mothershead

George
    Ray Bartlett owner of The Hot Rod Garage East, made these S series Americans on our '32. 410 479 9344, Denton Md.
    Jim
    our \'32 roadster.JPG

falcongeorge likes this.
  9. Gary Addcox

Gary Addcox
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Hey, I will take your advice, HIGHLANDER. Thanks for the headsup.

10. deucetruck

deucetruck
    from Missouri

I'm didn't think I was much of a blue guy, but D.N.D., that car is beautiful!!!

11. Gotgas

Gotgas
    from DFW USA

I bet that was a great looking combo!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

12. theHIGHLANDER

theHIGHLANDER
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

DAYUUM! TV has 'Judge Judy', we got "Judge Georgie"!!

You're sorta right, but in an effort to temper my opinion of that subject I say as long as they're happy with it. Technically "wrong" is a hard sell in the hot rod community, vintage or modern. Some of us can "see" things beyond our eyesight. Those who can't aren't lesser folk, perhaps they can do a bunch of shit I can't do, or see for that matter. Still, certain things don't work. 1 example, "Marina" or "LeMans" blue from GM as used on Vettes and Novas. Pretty blue, hard to argue that, yes? Put it on a 61 Bubble Top Impala and it looks as wrong as 18" wheels to me. "Jewel" blue as seen on 61-2 Vettes, sort of a muted grey tone to it, stunner. There's so much car it can use a subtle color to make the statement.
    The defense rests...;)

13. Gotgas

Gotgas
    from DFW USA

Both of these cars were brown.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Just Gary and bonesy like this.
  14. Gotgas

Gotgas
    from DFW USA

Both of these were green.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

bonesy likes this.
  15. falcongeorge

falcongeorge
    from BC

I have said it a thousand times, I will say it again. I don't care if someone paints their car black or babyshit brown or whatever. It's NONE of my business. What is my business if if you start peddling it on the premise that it's "traditional" and that painting your car a bright colour or a metallic isn't.
    Other than that, I could care less. Paint it diarrhea green, it won't hurt my feelings, or the favourite of idiots everywhere, make me "mad". It's really none of my concern, as long as you aren't trying to justify it by peddling bullshit to others.

16. falcongeorge

falcongeorge
    from BC

Uh really. Are you COMPLETELY illiterate? Are they BABYSHIT brown or green??? GIVE me a fuckin break.

17. falcongeorge

falcongeorge
    from BC

I am on my kids iPad and can't post pics, can someone help "Gotgas" out, and post a pic of babyshit brown or green, so he maybe has at least SOME FUCKING CLUE as to what he is talking about??

18. Gotgas

Gotgas
    from DFW USA

Yeah, obviously it's me that is illiterate. It is not evident in your post that you intended BABYSHIT to be your intended adjective while green and brown were just along for the ride.

I usually agree with you (and do here too) but you're kind of a motherfucker to have a conversation with. :rolleyes:

K13 likes this.
  19. George, which babyshit green, mashed peas or pureed broccoli?

falcongeorge likes this.
  20. falcongeorge

falcongeorge
    from BC

It's not "evident"? Really...:rolleyes:ok, well, let me take you gently by the hand and guide you...babyshit brown and babyshit green are non-metallic shades of brownish green or greenish brown that are currently "trendy" on so called "traditional" hot rods. They are easy to spot if you have ever had children, you will be intimately familiar with them. They are the same colour as the excrement of babies that are breastfeeding. They bear ZERO resemblance to ANY of the colours you posted. In fact, hot rods were being painted metallic brown and metallic green LONG before any of the examples you posted.google Walt Roses T. Pretty sure everyone else reading this knows what babyshit brown and green are.

AndersF likes this.
  21. falcongeorge

falcongeorge
    from BC

I'll work on embracing my kinder gentler side. If I can find it....:D

AndersF likes this.
  22. steel rebel

steel rebel
    Member Emeritus

Thanks George
    Usually it's me the towns people are coming after me with torches.
    I'm going to agree you completely and even the way you express it.
    First I'm going to say that anybody that builds a car expressly to win AMBR are setting themselves up for a big fall. Check who the 2016 baby shit green car winner was marred to. NO that had nothing to do with it. Not saying I don't like the car and am not proud of the builder for mixing that different, unusual, nontraditional color BUT I saw all the cars that were in contention for the 9' and in my opinion if the judges were just looking for BEAUTY that car wouldn't have a chance. Maybe we should look at the judges and their friends. I remember the story of a guy blowing himself away when loosing.
    To your point Fred, Ford did have some colors like you described so eloquently and some builders would stay with the stock colors of their '30s and '40s cars but I don't remember seeing any Hot Rods being painted those colors until the last few years. Not saying that someone can't dig up a photo of one or two.
    Thanks again George

Gary

AndersF and falcongeorge like this.
  23. falcongeorge

falcongeorge
    from BC

before they can tar and feather me, they gotta catch me. With 235 chevys becoming "Nuevo traditional" the chance of that happening is becoming more remote every day...:p

AndersF likes this.
  24. theHIGHLANDER

theHIGHLANDER
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Yeah, to all counts, but try to keep this in mind. MERRY CHRISTMAS!!!

mgtstumpy and lothiandon1940 like this.
  25. thunderplex

thunderplex

.... just paint it a color you like. The color spectrum hasn't changed since time began and I'm pretty sure every color and hue has been on a car at some point in time.

Last edited: Dec 20, 2016
  26. manyolcars

manyolcars

All this talk about baby shitgreen reminds me of a 1953 chevy 4 dr I saw 50 years ago. baby shit green and jacked up with those long shackles. It turned me against 53/54 chevys forever.
    Later It was a shock to see how nice a 53 Belair two door hardtop looked

27. Well-we've spent a lot of time discussing colors we shouldn't paint for non-traditional reasons
    -Back to the OP's original question
    -And if you did paint your car one of those colors of excrement(or any color for that matter)-show a pic and tell us why?

Montana1 likes this.
  28. But your Dad being more with it used red rims for just the right amount of contrast!
    Smart man your Dad:cool:

falcongeorge likes this.
  29. Bigbangtheory

Bigbangtheory
    BANNED
    from ohio

Paint........I don't need no stinking paint.

IMG_2867.JPG

30. I have always been a fan of black! But the color on my roadster is incredible in my opinion. It has a stock look but better. Changes in different lights almost has a red hue in certain lights.:cool: It is 1946/47 Kaiser Doeskin
    But Black is always good!:rolleyes:

014.JPG 005.JPG
    Fall 5 Window 002.JPG

rustymetal, bonesy, DeLuxe 32 and 2 others like this.