Register now to get rid of these ads!

History Auto racing 1894-1942

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by kurtis, Jul 18, 2009.

1. Six Ball

Six Ball
    from Nevada

People do a lot of things that don't sound like fun to me.:confused:

2. gunter segers

gunter segers

Hi,
    I found your great website, nice!

I was wondering if anyone here could help me with this:
    I'm working on a book on Hélène Dutrieu, aviation pioneer (and much more...)

She also was auto-race pioneer in 1898 to 1904, though I have not yet found any evidence of this (photo or record or newspaper clipping....)

Did anyone here ever come across her name? Or have seen a picture of her in an automobile/racing.

Any info would be of great importance!

you can contact me via [email protected]

kind regards
    gunter

3. Vitesse

Vitesse
    from Bath, UK

I've certainly never come across Mlle Dutrieu racing cars. It would definitely have been worthy of note at the time! The British press reported quite widely on her performance in the ladies' bicycle races at The Aquarium in November 1896 and there's a somewhat scornful report in The Times - they thought the 'entertainment' of watching people taking risks was a bit common! - about her stunt bicycle riding at the Crystal Palace Christmas Circus in 1903. It actually sounds like quite a spectacular show; she started from the top of a narrow ramp and jumped a gap onto another ramp, still apparently travelling downwards! Flight has quite a few references to her flying exploits.

I wonder if this might just be an embellishment of some occasion(s) when she rode and/or raced a motor tricycle? They were a regular feature of bicycle race meetings at that time and quite a few male ex-racing cyclists (Edge, Jarrott, etc) raced them before turning to cars instead.

Mlle Camille du Gast and Baroness Hélène van Zuylen are normally considered the first two female motor racers. With those two names there's scope for quite a bit of confusion with Hélène Dutrieu ... Chinese whispers?

The37Kid likes this.
  4. jroberts

jroberts

A Straight Eight Studebaker competing in the 1929 Brooklands Double Twelve event.
    [​IMG]

biggeorge likes this.
  5. 2NDCHANCE

2NDCHANCE

IMG_0953.PNG Thanks I just got this Christmas present today. It was purchase approx. 40 years ago at the Hershey swap meet. Any information on would be appreciated

63fdsnr and The37Kid like this.
  6. gnichols

gnichols
    from Tampa, FL

A night race... but going the wrong way for LeMans... Hummmm.... Gary

7. The37Kid

The37Kid

Brighton Beach race by Peter Helck, you should be able to Google all the info you need or buy his book on eBay. Great gift, Merry Christmas! Bob

upload_2016-12-25_20-39-29.png

biggeorge and 63fdsnr like this.
  8. 2NDCHANCE

2NDCHANCE

Thank you very much. Gary

The37Kid likes this.
  9. banjeaux bob

banjeaux bob
    from alaska

15823047_10211546349044930_1652412173546594667_n.jpg 15894420_10211544299993705_5258162743348604296_n.jpg 15894571_10208608609912733_6966870887707606354_n.jpg IMPERIA's test track in Belgium...then and now.

Last edited: Jan 4, 2017
    biggeorge likes this.
  10. SteveLines

SteveLines
    from England

Does anyone know anything more about the Miller Junior Special cars please?

The Miller Offenhauser page has a great write up about the history of the two cars. It also mentions that a Dave Hedrick is/was building a copy around the one surviving engine, but has no further details.

I'd love to know more about this exciting project and wonder if it was ever completed?

11. Michael Ferner

Michael Ferner

Dave has been at it for a very long time, though I haven't spoken to him in years. He's obviously not one to rush things through, but I hope we will finally see the car in all ist splendour. There's still a lot to be learned about the history of these cars, though we made some progress in recent time. Technically, they were not Millers, only the chassis were built (under contract) in California. The engines were the work of Riley Brett and W. W. "Billy" Brown of Kansas City/MO, and the cars were financed by a KCMO gentleman name of C. L. Richards, also responsible for the earlier "Richards Special" Indy car (not to be confused with the "RIChard Special" of Cleveland/OH).

12. SteveLines

SteveLines
    from England

Thanks Michael. I hope we can somehow get an update sometime!

13. falcongeorge

falcongeorge
    from BC

My scanner isn't big enough to fit some of these in their entirety, but I figure some will want to see them anyway. Peter Helk paintings from Automobile Quarterly

Ray Harroun in the Marmon Wasp and Ralph Mulford, Lozier 1911 Indy
    ScanImage009.jpg

14. falcongeorge

falcongeorge
    from BC

It was @badshifter s post about the welded up Peerless block that reminded me that I had these. Premier built for the Vanderbilt cup, but it was way too heavy to meet the max. 1000kg weight limit, so never raced there. The green car was the Barney Oldfield Peerless "Green Dragon"
    ScanImage006.jpg

Last edited: Jan 9, 2017
  15. falcongeorge

falcongeorge
    from BC

1908 Vanderbilt Cup George Robertson, Locomobile
    ScanImage007.jpg

16. falcongeorge

falcongeorge
    from BC

17. banjeaux bob

banjeaux bob
    from alaska

18. Michael Ferner

Michael Ferner

Well, that settles it, doesn't it? Harroun is clearly ahead...

29AVEE8 and falcongeorge like this.
  19. noboD

noboD

Thanks for artwork. The Premier is a good reason to visit the Indy museum. I would LOVE to hear it run. I saw the Green Dragon in 2012.

falcongeorge likes this.
  20. falcongeorge

falcongeorge
    from BC

I saved the best one for last. Jimmy Murphy leading (I think) Ralph De-Palma's Ballot, Le-Mans 1921. Unfortunately the entire pic wont fit in my scanner. I wish I could get a nice big art print of this without the seam, I'd love to frame this and hang it on my living room wall.
    ScanImage001.jpg

biggeorge likes this.
  21. Six Ball

Six Ball
    from Nevada

Those are really nice. thanks, so much fun to study the detail and the action.

22. jimdillon

jimdillon

George, I too really appreciate Peter Helck's artwork. His attention to detail and the speed he seems to instill in his paintings are second to none. I have a few of his copies hanging in my shop (along with some large Montaut and Gamy prints which to me are a close second). The 1921 Grand Prix pic above has Murphy leading Jean Chassagne but it is easy to mistake for De Palma as they both drove Ballots and De Palma finished second and may have given some decent pursuit at times.

falcongeorge likes this.
  23. falcongeorge

falcongeorge
    from BC

Jim, where did you get the Peter Helck prints?

24. jimdillon

jimdillon

George I collected prints for some time. I believe I got a couple of Helcks at a swap meet that they used to hold the day before the 500 at Indy. The Helcks are not that high a quality but they look fine in the shop (like something you would find on an old calendar from old car clubs). The Montaut and Gamy prints on the other hand are very high quality-I wish I could find Helcks as high a quality.There was one small Helck print where the mechanics are working on the car prior to the 500 in a garage and I liked it so much I photographed it and had a large picture blown up. I have copies of his books and have thought about blowing up some of them but as of yet I have not. I have run out of wall space anyways I suppose.

falcongeorge likes this.
  25. falcongeorge

falcongeorge
    from BC

I have two of the Tony Nippel Road & Track prints from the sixties on the wall in my hallway, the Bugatti and the Alfa. I found a Peter Helk website today, but they only have 4-5 automotive prints, none of them really blow my skirt up as much as the ones I posted here, especially the Duesenberg and the Premier.
    Do you remember the large classic car photos Car Life sold by mail in the sixties? I have the Duesenberg Model J phaeton, but I don't have it hung, its stored away for now.

26. jimdillon

jimdillon

Don't remember the Car Life prints offhand. If I run into a Helck print of Murphy or the Premier I will let you know.

Last edited: Jan 10, 2017
  27. falcongeorge

falcongeorge
    from BC

Beverly Hills? Man, I wish they would hurry up and invent time travel before I die!
    ScanImage001.jpg

28. falcongeorge

falcongeorge
    from BC

29. The37Kid

The37Kid

falcongeorge likes this.
  30. Michael Ferner

Michael Ferner

falcongeorge likes this.