Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical 3D printing car parts

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by bkcraun, Dec 16, 2016.

1. bkcraun

bkcraun

I've been looking for parking light bezel / housings for a 1952 Ford sedan with no success. How good are the advancements in 3D printing these days? Couldn't someone make these fairly inexpensively?
    I've noticed numerous people searching for these during my hunt.
    52 Ford Customline - 4 door (not that it matters).

2. mike in tucson

mike in tucson
    from Tucson

But how do you get to the 3D model file that you use to print? The printer prints what the model looks like....crappy model, crappy dimensioned part. If you have a physical part, it could be scanned to create a 3D model but scanning requires some expertise and an appropriate 3D scanner. Getting the old design into a file is the challenge.

bkcraun and turboroadster like this.
  3. bkcraun

bkcraun

Hmmmm, I do have one that would be sufficient to get a model file from.

4. Dan

Dan

Just an FYI..we bought the Makerbot scanner and it is a piece of shit. Sounds like you will have to find someone skilled enough to design one in Tinkercad or 123D Design or similar software. Without an original to copy that will be challenging.

bkcraun likes this.

5. Gerrys

Gerrys

6. bkcraun

bkcraun

7. bkcraun

bkcraun

I have this......
    [​IMG]

8. bkcraun

bkcraun

It's the round chrome rings under the headlights. I think I have enough to get a 3 print, but they are rusted through.

9. squirrel

squirrel

3d printers usually make fragile, coarse parts from plastic, and it takes a while. At least, the ones I've seen.

I'd be inclined to either repair them or make new ones from sheet metal. Or keep searching for good used ones.

bkcraun likes this.
  10. 270ci

270ci

Not to burst your bubble, but 3D printing is still mostly used for prototype parts in plastic. Selective Laser Sintering and Direct Metal Laser Sintering machines that can produce metal parts are very expensive and the parts produced are no where near plating ready.

If the parts are round, you could whip some out on an old fashioned lathe easier and less expensively....would be more HAMB friendly too.

Squirrel beat me to the point.

Last edited: Dec 16, 2016
    czuch and bkcraun like this.
  11. I'd 'repair' what you have to get the external shape right, then use those as the basis for a mold to cast new ones out of brass.

12. i think i will invest in a 3D printer and use it to make some 3D printers to sell . i see big $$$ in my future

czuch, slowmotion, Hnstray and 7 others like this.
  13. Casual 6

Casual 6
    from Great NW

bkcraun: I don't know where you're located, but Superior Glass Works in Oregon used 3D printed parts that were chromed for their Corvette Nomad project. You might contact them for more info:

http://www.superiorglassworks.com

Also, since the parking light bezels are round, couldn't they just be conventionally machined out of round bar stock?

270ci and bkcraun like this.
  14. Are they absolutely impossible to find or just to find cheap?

Finding someone to prototype a one off part will be costly. I have CNC machines (not a printer yet) and for me to make 1000 of something, the programming is not a big cost, but for me to spend hours programming for some one off part, most guys choke on the price tag.

And trust me, you thinking he will sell a ton of them is a song EVERY parts maker has heard countless times. Every idea someone has approached me with starts out with "you will sell billions of these,,," including a flamed wheelchair disc for the wheels :/

kiwijeff likes this.
  15. 1Bad67

1Bad67

3D Printing has come a long way already, and will continue to improve. The cheap ones for hobby use do put out cheap parts. I have one, and use it for making 'proof of concept' parts. Once I am happy with the part I pay an expert to make the real deal. There are places online that will use your file, and make incredible parts out of plastic or metal. Or you can use the plastic part as a pattern for casting Aluminum parts. A simple part like that could be created from some measurements I would think. If not, there are places that can scan it too.

16. bkcraun

bkcraun

Maybe not impossible, but difficult. Think I'm going to try the mold idea. That may be cheaper than the one off 3D direction. Meantime, I'll keep hunting.

Sent from my iPhone using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

17. vintage6t

vintage6t
    from CT

On TV I saw that Paul's Chrome can chrome plate fiberglass. Reproducing them in fiberglass although not as high tech as 3D might be an option:

18. H380

H380
    from Louisiana

19. We had a Sintered Metal vendor come in to work a few years back to give a presentation and show us some parts. He made us up a single piece of ours that was originally at least 5 pieces. It looked like the part but the surface finish was not so hot. Unacceptable.

Bezels I would make out of aluminum tubing or plate on a lathe. Polish them up and have a flash of electroless nickel plating done on them.

20. There are 3D printers that will make parts of exceptional quality. Parts that could be chrome plated. But these machines are Not cheap, nor is the programming.
    This is a chrome plated 3D printed plastic part
    chrome-plated-plastic-001.jpeg

How about these 1/4 scale SBC 3D printed parts
    DSC00021.jpg

belair and kiwijeff like this.
  21. David Gersic

David Gersic
    from DeKalb, IL

Amen. I've been down that path many times. Most of the parts I make or have made are those I need myself. Nobody wants to make one or two, but 100 or 500 they'll do. So I buy 100, take out the two I need, and sell the rest, eventually.

So I get the "hey, I need one of these parts, you can make it and sell lots of them" from people that want one of something I have no interest in or need for. I always make them the same offer, I'll do it, bit you have to buy all 100 or 500 or however many it takes to get them made, at 10% over my cost. Then YOU can sell them and make all of this supposed profit.

Nobody has yet taken me up on this offer. I don't know why.

Sent from my iPad using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

prewarcars4me and kiwijeff like this.
  22. SR100

SR100

I saw an ad for this 3D scanning/printing company in a magazine. The web page doesn't show what scanner or printer they use, but their pics look like they are turning out some good-looking parts. They are up-front telling people that 3D printing may not be cost-effective compared to casting or CNC milling.

23. carve one up with a dremel and a block of foam, then do lost foam casting with aluminum, then spin on lathe to make outside perfect

24. cfmvw

cfmvw

I've done some 3D printing at the local college using Solidworks to draw the parts. They are hoping to get a grant so they can launch a 3D Printing degree program and purchase a bigger/better printer. The technology is still evolving but getting better all the time.

25. dwrfab

dwrfab
    from Dallas TX.

I turned some out of aluminum last year. The job was up around $400.00 range need to look it up for sure

Attached Files:

26. I read on another Hot Rod forum, that the Chinese have built a full size six story building, with a printer.
    I'll bet the technology is way more advanced, than us regular humans know.
    Maybe making these obsolete parts is possible and expensive, but in a few years, it'll be common place.

27. Atomic Kustom

Atomic Kustom

Check with Don Baxter at Baxter Ford Parts in Lawrence Kansas 785-842-9256, he may have the parts you are looking for

28. boom! nicely done!

29. Fantastic idea. Next time I hear that, this will be my new reply.

30. apartment.jpg
    It's five story, but who's counting ;) They also built 10 houses in 24 hours with 3D printing. Google it, it's pretty interesting

kiwijeff likes this.