Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects AMBR Potential contender

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Frames, Dec 15, 2016.

1. brigrat

brigrat
    from Wa.St.

Dennis is one of the nicest guy's on the HAMB, free with info and will talk to you all day to figure out a problem AND explain it in a way even I can understand! Good luck Dennis, hope you are able to see it to it's completion.........................................................................

kidcampbell71 likes this.
  2. Frames

Frames

Retaining the race car influence.

3. Frames

Frames

Jackie Howerton, Fabulous car. Credit for most of the body should go to Jerry Weeks Baker and the Steve Moal crew. In my humble opinion the new owner had his head up his ass when he added the number. I just hope a moron like that does not buy my car.

falcongeorge and loudbang like this.
  4. Frames

Frames

5. Frames

Frames

55 F100, Go to my thread " FORD IN A FORD" I just did BTTT. I will be doing a build thread on it. Later today.
    F  !00 003.jpg

kidcampbell71 likes this.
  6. Frames

Frames

Don't insult Jackie Howerton. So-Cal Speed Shop had nothing to do with the design, the actual building. Yes they did do the detail work to finish it but it was close to 99% complete when they got it. Also I don't doubt it took close to 1,000 hours to do the AMBR quality detail work.

7. broke hotrodder

broke hotrodder
    from NY

No insults, you read it wrong.. The guy that built that car spent 20 years on it and was still unfinished, until someone Socal, bought it. Up until it was rebuilt it was best car i ever saw, then it was ruined (my opinion) by the finish. Lesson was, money doesnt buy taste or an award because it is expensive.

Hot rods are like people, just because there finished dont make them worth an award. Sometimes raw is perfect. Dame with opinions, they are from one perspective.

8. DDDenny

DDDenny
    from oregon

Many years ago, there was an article in (IIRC) SR magazine when the car was in its early build stage and it showed Jackie in his shop with John Casales and I just wanted to absorb every picture and word about this car.
    Then some time later read that the car was to be sold unfinished and the new owner would take over the project, and thought to myself it just would not be the same.
    The car had been finished and highly detailed by qualfied people to show car standards but in my estimation something had been lost in the original plan for the car.

fauj and broke hotrodder like this.
  9. Marty Strode

Marty Strode

Doug, I think it was John Capels (USAC) that was in the article, written by Ron Ceridono. I first saw Jackie's car at the 50'th GNRS at the Cow Palace in '99, it had the nose and the cowl sheet metal on. The skeleton, firewall, pedals were true art !

10. You never know what you're gonna get or who likes who's flavor is better that day

2012 winner
    image.jpeg
    2013 winner
    image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    image.jpeg

11. DDDenny

DDDenny
    from oregon

Right you are Marty
    I got interrupted with a "honey do" and planned to proof that with a Google quick search before hitting send.
    How deep is the snow on your side of the county?
    Still slippery here.

12. Frames

Frames

I repeat 2016 AMBR "seen one you have seen them all. Except for the color.. Many years ago someone was telling me about a color. Now I know what he was talking about. He called it SHIT BRINDLE BROWN. The Howerton car is the best AMBR ever built! PS: How much does Darryl charge for a paint job???

13. Frames

Frames

I spent a lot of time doing a F100 build thread. I guess the mods did not like some of the things i said so they took it down. I had a lot of pictures of the chassis and the top chopping.

14. falcongeorge

falcongeorge
    from BC

Crap, I figured that might happen, I was looking forward to watching and learning. That opportunity doesnt present itself on here much anymore.

Blues4U likes this.
  15. Very nice work. I particularly like the finish on the front axle. Is it chrome on the top & bottom, and painted in the webbing?

16. Frames

Frames

Glad you noticed the axle.. The center is just sandblasted . No paint. I polished the top. For sandblasting I had to make some metal maskers to keep the ends and vertical area at the perches polished. Then off to the chrome shop.

17. Frames

Frames

THANK YOU. Won "BEST BITCHN' with my 32 .Goodguys Charlotte 2000. 1st rod I ever built. Won 1st place "DEUSE DOIN"S" Good 001.JPG guys Charlotte 2013. Same car.

fauj, Darryl Deir and falcongeorge like this.
  18. Chevy Gasser

Chevy Gasser

Did anybody correct the AMBA, America's Most Bitchin' Award? By the way, the front axle looks like it is 3 tone. Did you hone the holes after sandblasting but before polishing? Beautiful contrast.

Last edited: Dec 17, 2016
  19. broke hotrodder

broke hotrodder
    from NY

Back on point, as I tend to ramble on. You have a nice build goung and it has personality. If you want competition quality, perhaps you can take the car further to completion of your vision, with whatever level of funds you feel you are comfortable with, because in the end unless you are building for someone else. Its still yours. Build it, drive it polish it, whatever, just enjoy the hell out it. If you do this you may inspire an "investor" by example, to pony up for some fun to.

20. Thank's for stating my feeling to the T......If you check Hollenbeck's roadster out in person you would not ever call it a belly button, cookie cutter roadster....KILLER would be much better..

Stogy, kidcampbell71, HEMI32 and 4 others like this.
  21. Indeed. With so many fucked up deuces floating around, someone gets it right - which puts it in a proportionally small club - and it gets called bellybutton!

22. wheeler.t

wheeler.t

Now, I'm a complete nobody and I'll probably never see an AMBR car in person; BUT I feel like talking a bunch of shit on a previous winner is a really piss poor attitude. I'm sure there's gonna ( or there is ) a crowd that doesn't like your car either.

Sent from my iPhone using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

Stogy, kiwijeff, flatheadpete and 9 others like this.
  23. very cool, I think 28/29 roadsters are sexier than 32s (I know, blasphemy)
    I was lucky enough to be part of a Riddler build.
    the work and attention to detail to compete for an AMBR is astounding
    the $$$$$ part is as well
    good luck, keep posting pics

Just Gary, RonaldR and Stogy like this.
  24. Jonnie King

Jonnie King
    from St. Louis

Very nice in every way ! Choice of Buick lenses perfect for this build...and many forget how cool those '50-'52 lenses are.
    [​IMG]
    Jonnie
    www.legends.thewwbc.net

falcongeorge likes this.
  25. falcongeorge

falcongeorge
    from BC

^^I've been thinking about trying to get some of these for my T sedan. Lay them on their sides, French the tops into the rear panel, and form a bead around the top and halfway down the sides of the frenched opening.

X-cpe and Jonnie King like this.
  26. Great build and man, you've got a good eye. Your first build '32 is proof of your talent. But take it with a grain of salt 'cause I thought the 2016 ambr winner was one the best car in years.....:p
    Seriously, keep it up your project is a work of art.

27. toreadorxlt

toreadorxlt
    from Nashua, NH

this thread makes me never want to build a show car.

28. 3Deuce40

3Deuce40
    from Colorado

AGREED. Plus, its a driven car. BONUS!

29. Frames

Frames

Traditional rods should have exposed door hinges. Two of my builds with exposed hinges. I think if they are chromed, John Buttera would call them hiccups. Would someone post a picture of the Joe Nitti roadster built about 1950 or 51. Hidden hinges [ Beautiful car! Part of which can be attributed to the hidden hinges] and a really GREAT color. A beautiful car. Restoration financed by my good friend David Zivo, Las Vegas. I forget the name of the shop that did the meticulous restoration. On my pick up I moved the HICCUPS from above the windshield to below the windshield. The wipers that is. PS; That's the 28 RPU owner Malcom Whitley. _pickup_rear_quarter_z.jpg _1944_chevy_FRONT.jpg img018.jpg img008.jpg img01232016_002.jpg

Last edited: Dec 21, 2016
    kidcampbell71 and loudbang like this.
  30. Frames

Frames

I used 51 Buick Special. They are a little smaller than the other Buicks. I even trimmed them down. Then I designed a smaller bezel with 9 degree mounting flange to put the lenses close to vertical. The bezels are CNCd billet. Fooled you all, didn't I? I fabricated the windshield posts. For mounting they simply drop into the 29 coach reveal. I narrowed the 46 Plymouth dash 5" by eliminating the ash try and the radio on either side of the center grille. The cowl is completely built from scratch. Hood goes back to the windshield. The color will be very dark purple. Ala Joe Nitti. It looks lighter because of the flash. 29 roadster 001.JPG 29 roadster 011.JPG 29 roadster 014.JPG 29 roadster 016.JPG