Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical Harbor Freight 'purple' spray guns

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by willys36, Dec 16, 2016.

1. Harbor Freight purple 20oz spray guns are on sale this weekend for $9!! Go get 3 or 4.

Terrible80 likes this.
  2. Model A Gomez

Model A Gomez

I have one I use as a primer gun and seems to be ok. That is a good price, think I paid around $15 for mine.

3. AHotRod

AHotRod

Cool. They work good.

4. KoolKat-57

KoolKat-57
    from Dublin, OH

Works great for a while, then little things start to go wrong.
    They are so inexpensive I consider them disposable and save a few parts as needed!
    Always have a few on the shelf.
    KK

Driver50x likes this.

5. I have used that "disposableness" to my advantage. New gun to paint a car or two, then that gun gets demoted to a primer gun. Then a new gun for our a car or two, then it goes to a primer gun, and the old primer gun gets demoted to upholstery glue gun. After 2 cars of glue, it's pretty much used up.

All for $10 every couple cars. I'm not a fan of HF mostly, but those purple guns have made me money.

chaddilac likes this.
  6. Are you talking about HVLP or conventional guns?

7. toreadorxlt

toreadorxlt
    from Nashua, NH

for 9.99 I like them... I cleared this with one, i was happy with it.

Attached Files:

8. 1Bad67

1Bad67

They are great at work. When someone forgets to clean it out, I'm not out much $$$

Bruce Fischer and prewarcars4me like this.
  9. I was just showing him the gun, not the price tag.

10. Flat Six Fix

Flat Six Fix

Yup these elcheapo knock off work fine, have used them for a lot of primer and paint. I have never tried clear with them though...

11. Flat Six Fix

Flat Six Fix

Well they are "gravity" feed but as to being a compliant style HVLP, and 10 psi at the cap, not likely. I used mine, and turn up the air, to lay it on the way I need too.
    They are okay for something cheap, and some will use them for primer and chuck em in the trash after.
    I do not know if they have any with huge tips like 2.3 to shoot polyester filler primers.

12. henryj1951

henryj1951
    from USA

Excellent price point, for the BEGINNER and CHRISTMAS gifts.
    I still have NIB binks 7's-n-satas to use up, long before i'll ever NEED a disposable .

13. I have high end guns as well. I use these on cars that will end up as drivers, not trophy hunters. For what they are, they are a good product at a great price. If you are looking for a Riddler Award, I probably wouldn't use it for that, but if you arent looking at spending a house payment or two on a gun to shoot your Kirker paint job, bingo.

14. 59ab

59ab

I have 2 of them. They are great for primer and painting small parts. Only problem for large parts is the size of the cup. You will spend too much time refilling. Great little gun for a pidler like me.

Bruce Fischer likes this.
  15. 6-bangertim

6-bangertim
    from California

If you have NEVER used HF guns before, there is a youtube vid on how the break them down, ckean the silicone grease crap out of them. Also replace the teflon tape with an O-ring between the cup and the gun!

16. The o-ring use is key with these guns, Ace should have those. They have to be very clean, it takes a little work to get them going but they are a great value.

6-bangertim likes this.
  17. Flat Six Fix

Flat Six Fix

Yup good advice, some of the older versions of this gun were better quality. I have never had to use any Teflon tape on the threads of the older versions, and they clean up better too.
    Have also used some better quality guns, they dial in nicer and lay down a better coat.
    Like those Old Binks Model 7 suction type, but they require more air for atomization, and you can spray a huge wide pattern, of course more bounce and waste...

18. How do you get $9?? I've looked but don't see that much reduction...

Sent from my iPad using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

19. onetrickpony

onetrickpony
    from Texas

Go to http://www.harborfreight.com/ and scroll down to the coupons. $8.99 until 01/02/2017

Revived 265 likes this.
  20. onetrickpony

onetrickpony
    from Texas

Here is the coupon for any who can't find it:

Attached Files:

Revived 265 likes this.
  21. Mr48chev

Mr48chev
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

There should be an online cupon or one in the last flyer that came in the mail or in the paper. I've got two of them in the trunk of one of my cars that I bought last year and never took out of the trunk yet as I haven't painted anything.
    I got it in and email. cupon number is 49925857
    Good info on using these units as I'll have to study that a bit.

22. Mr48chev

Mr48chev
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Dang I was slow on that.

23. dcs13

dcs13

At that price they're cheaper to throw out than to clean almost. I got 2 today. They're great for SPI epoxy. Little too small of a tip for the 2k though

belair likes this.
  24. Flat Six Fix

Flat Six Fix

If the gun is a 1.4 or even a 1.5 tip, reduce the 2k epoxy primer or even 2 k urethane high build primers with urethane grade reducer, actually works nice, maybe a few more coats, less shrink on film build too..

25. They spray good, a decade ago the jobber was selling the same thing for $50-60. I bought one to paint the touring that GV Gordon owns. Also have sprayed TONS of house trim with the same one until we droped it and the cup broke recently.

26. I bought one recently to paint the car to left, but have yet to try my hands at it. I still need to buy paint and whatever other supplies I will need for it.

27. kma4444

kma4444

Bought one the other day to spray Duratec clear for composites. You need a 2.0 tip to do it so I chucked the tip in the lathe and drilled it right out. Got it very close to size, stopped because I ran close to the edge of material on the tip but it worked perfectly. The clear is a polyester material and no way I'm spraying it through a good gun. It started to gel a couple times but I didn't have any trouble getting it out of there. Perfect for the price. Probably should go grab a couple more.

28. joburnsjo

joburnsjo

I have a couple in the shop all the time like you said throw away LOL

Bruce Fischer likes this.