Register now to get rid of these ads!

Art & Inspiration Why'd You Pick That Color?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Jive-Bomber, Dec 14, 2016.

1. Gary Addcox

Gary Addcox
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Well, J.B., you just stepped on my dick when you "villified" shiny red roadsters. My Deuce is Victory Red to somewhat commemorate our Military men and women who answered the call from our fucked up leaders in D.C. (soon to change). I'll go no farther in my political tirade so as not to be deleted, deballed, casterated, or whatever. I've heard HAMBers advise rodders to do whatever they want, or more correctly, can afford. This is the best suggestion anyone can give the future driver of a hotrod. I love black roadsters, but there are/were so many around since our passion began whenever that was, I wanted the next most popular color, RED. One year at the LONESTAR ROUNDUP in Austin I had mine and 5 others to choose from. Didn't phase me one bit. You have every right to not care for red, but as a very good writer whose posts I do enjoy, you shouldn't opine in the negative about red. Hell, you and I know that there are 2 colors for hotrods/streetrods, and they are red and black(the non color), PERIOD ! Here I go getting political again. I met 2 of the coolest rodders in the world at TROG WEST, one from Temple City and the other from Nipomo. Now I would really like to meet another one from the West coast who has quite a different view on things, you. After a few Stella Artois brewskis, I believe you would SEE THE LIGHT. Fraternally, Gary Addcox.

lothiandon1940 likes this.
  2. You tell'em, Gary! Love your passion, sorry about your dick!:eek:.............I kinda like Red as well.........on some cars.;)...Mine for instance.:) 044-vi.jpg

3. Normant93

Normant93

I like your (and your wife's) taste in color's, that's a beautiful green! I agonized for months over what to paint my '46 Chevy, looked at two-tones, modern colors, etc. and finally came back around to the original green. I skipped the black fenders and went with a solid color I liked it so much. I'll do the wheels & bed the same.

Attached Files:

lothiandon1940 and tb33anda3rd like this.
  4. mgtstumpy

mgtstumpy

Cheby is orange because I wanted something different.
    ECOOLY12_073_p.jpg
    Olds will be OEM 2 x tone
    Olds sedanette.jpg

5. While neither of my cars have paint, I do know what colours they'll be. The 34 pickup is going to be Washington Blue with a cream white firewall and a few other items.
    The 29 phaeton will be a dark shade of green with black fenders and white accents. I haven't nailed down exactly what yet, but the green on the custom in picture number 3 sure has my attention...

In my opinion, black can look menacing on the right car. However, it's too often the default choice, and is way overdone. Similar thoughts to red, while maroon gets an exemption.

6. HtRdLcn

HtRdLcn

To me, it's not the color that ruins the look of a car, unless it's a hot pink '90s left over with the heartbeat pinstripe down the side, ugh! It's the choice of wheels and tires. I've seen some real bitchin' kustoms but they put on newer styled mags with those hideous radial tires.

7. junkyardgenius

junkyardgenius
    from Kernow

Black? Red?Black? Orange?Black? Black? Arrrrggghh. IMG_0328.JPG

dumprat and lothiandon1940 like this.
  8. paul55

paul55
    from michigan

Black^^^^

Jet96 and lothiandon1940 like this.
  9. falcongeorge

falcongeorge
    from BC

If those are the choices, orange. No doubt. I would paint it a med. light metalflake green with green tinted windows and chrome reverse wheels on the front. Maybe one in a hundred will know why;)...I'll give a little hint. H&M.

Last edited: Dec 15, 2016
  10. DDDenny

DDDenny
    from oregon

11. GeezersP15

GeezersP15
    from N.E. PA

My first choice was gloss black, but my wife disagreed. "It's got to have some sparkle", she said. So it got painted "Black Metallic", A Saturn color. It does look good, and if Mama ain't happy, then nobody's happy. Post Ocean City May 2015 002.JPG

KoolKat-57 and mgtstumpy like this.
  12. falcongeorge

falcongeorge
    from BC

That's the colour on my truck right now. I'll probably never bother painting that thing, but if I do, I'll redo in Chevy Fathom Green.

13. 40 & 61 Fords

40 & 61 Fords

We went with light grey primer. Wish we would have researched it further to have used the white base for more pop. It's still plenty bright though!

14. Zombie 51

Zombie 51
    from New York

This has been the toughest decision for my '51 Merc. Actually, the only tough decision. I've known exactly how I want that car to look since the beginning. Except the color! I like dark colors on this type of car and my fav is the darkest. Gloss black. But bodymen keep warning me that I shouldn't do black because its such a big car and if the metalwork isn't perfect you'll see every flaw. I would assume that even a really dark red, like brandywine, or dark green would show the flaws as well. Dark is dark, right? I think I'm going to be stubborn and go for black....with gold scallops! Possibly :)

15. Gman0046

Gman0046

I'd go black and forget the scallops.

16. alphabet soup

alphabet soup
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

When I was younger my brothers and I built a LOT of model cars. And a good many of those were '40 Ford coupes and '55 Chevys. Seemed like whenever I was building a '40 I would look at all the spray cans (if I had extra money) and still pick up competition orange. So when the paint guy at Carlisle told me he had that color. I was sold.

17. wicarnut

wicarnut

. 3 of my 4 current hobby cars are Black, 2 pictured, OT Camaro Ragtop, Black, OT Dodge Magnum R/T dark metallic red. I have had several Black vehicle's in my time and I always say, no more black cars and yet I always go back to them. Color choice makes or breaks a car IMO. ( Someone said, an opinion is like an A$$hole, everyone has one) Had a few racers dark blue, but w/ the crappy lighting back then, I went to white w/ some color so the car could be seen. I have had a few fad colors that I liked, but Black is timeless, hard to beat IMO.

18. steel rebel

steel rebel
    Member Emeritus

In the late '80s I picked the redest red I could find. Not telling what that was. I call it Hot Rod Red. That makes this Krylon SP almost 30 years old. Never regretted red.
    Oh wow I need to get a toothbrush to the seam. Or not.
    Gary

IMG_0632.jpg

Jet96 and wicarnut like this.
  19. Flathead Dave

Flathead Dave
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from So. Cal.

Because I want a red car.

41 C28 and wicarnut like this.
  20. fordf1trucknut

fordf1trucknut

Most of the time when I paint one of mine....it ends up black......

20160614_164638.jpg

20160904_183434.jpg

20160614_173638.jpg

21. TERPU

TERPU

There's only one color. Black

22. From the start of my cabriolet build, I knew it would be a blue. Andalusite Blue was the color it was when my dad bought it new in 1929. Midnight blue metallic was the color I wanted when I originally painted it in 1962-3, but it ended up a dark blue-green metallic instead. Avus Blue, a 1995+/- BMW M-3 color, was my choice while the car was in planning stages during the late 1990's. I held to that color for a number of years.
    But as I got closer to being ready to add color, I reconsidered again, deciding to go with a solid color, still blue. Andalusite Blue had appeal purely because it was the original color of the car, and PPG had the formula in the paint line I was going to use. But while I was not sure what it really looked like, the word from the Ford Barn was that it looked black under most light conditions and had a strong purplish tint. I decided I wanted to start with Andalusite Blue, but lighten it a bit and reduce the purple a bit. My painter, Kenny March, shot four panels using formulas i gave him, and I ultimately interpolated between them all to create what I call Andalusite Blue #5.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    Pin striping is One Shot Process Blue, by Rory. I am very happy with the color I ended up with after a long journey to get there.

Last edited: Dec 15, 2016
  23. redwelter

redwelter

24. Gary Addcox

Gary Addcox
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Well, at 70, I'm not using it near as much as I use my RED roadster. Love yours, the roadster ! Now that '40 Standard you drive, I really love black on those cars, more than if it was red. My wife and I attended TROG WEST in Oct. and were pleasantly surprised to find only two other red ' Deuce roadsters. All of the race cars except a couple were some form of black combined with original or new patina, mostly original appearing. Brian Bass from Bass Kustoms in Dallas was racing his red roadster, but it had been two tone when he bought it, so he quickly blended red over the gold and brought it to Pismo Beach to race. I don't think he is hung up on red since his '29 Hemi-powered coupe is "naturally bare". I hope you can make the next Lonestar Roundup in Austin in April. Take er easy and will be watching for your posts. Gary Addcox

25. Gary Addcox

Gary Addcox
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

redwelter and lothiandon1940 like this.
  26. Gary Addcox

Gary Addcox
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Man, I don't think your Cab could look better. That is the other body I would want if I didn't have a roadster. It's actually a little DRIER in shit weather than the roadster. You should be very proud to cruise in that machine. Love the Mercury 'caps, too. Unique. Gary

27. Gary Addcox

Gary Addcox
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

HRP, my Dad rebuilt a '53 Ranch Wagon and painted it Beanpot Brown and Eggshell White in the middle. Brenda apparently has a good eye for color. Her 'wagon is so right. Gary

28. Gary Addcox

Gary Addcox
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

My parents owned a '59 Ford that was that off-white compared to '59 GM white which looked really chalky when it faded a bit. I really like the eggshell white on '07 Chrysler 300's, but not sure if my '40 Ford 2DR is "small" enough to accept it. Any opinions, even Jive Bomber ?

29. Gary Addcox

Gary Addcox
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Easy on the eyes. Beside being unique, it is so pretty.

lothiandon1940 and car doctor like this.