Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical who can make a custom molded shift knob?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by nutter_street_rodder, Dec 14, 2016.

1. nutter_street_rodder

nutter_street_rodder
    from Nevis MN

I have a neat old piece of jewelry from WWII. Ladies wore these as a rememberence of their GI husbands, fathers and boyfriends. I would like to have it molded in a shift knob for my Deuce. Due to memories involved I need someone reputable, but I see from searching old forums some are $300... that would not be a desireable price. Application is an old S-10 shift lever. 20161214_194952_resized.jpg

turboroadster likes this.
  2. loudbang likes this.
  3. most anyone with a lathe could help inlay it on a Shiftknob. Couple guys on here make them.

Sent from my iPhone using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

4. nutter_street_rodder

nutter_street_rodder
    from Nevis MN

appears these two do metal inserts on top of knob. I need molded in as the pearl is attached on top of the base.

5. David Gersic

David Gersic
    from DeKalb, IL

$300 isn't a bad price. Just making the mold is about $100 in rubber. That's assuming you have the shape you want already. Add in $50 for resin. Factor in this being a one shot deal, with the added pucker factor of screwing up your antique jewelry if something goes wrong.

I could do it, but I wouldn't do it for $300. No offense intended. If somebody with experience will do it for $300, pay them and have them do it.

Or, do it yourself. It'll still cost you at least $300, but you'll get to experience the pucker yourself, and you'll have the satisfaction of looking at it and thinking "I made that".

Resin casting isn't hard. You'll want to make some dry runs with something similar in size and shape before committing to the real thing.

Sent from my iPad using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

6. chigger

chigger

Try to contact Lucky Burton. Makes knows with coins embedded

Sent from my SM-G930V using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

7. Quality craftsmanship and cheap rarely go hand in hand.

8. mkubacak

mkubacak

I got a Daka-ware knob from @jimmygrrr with a 1931 Nickel that I sent him inset. Is was way less than $300.00. Contact him.

9. Ed Angel

Ed Angel

One option might be finding a cool old knob and in laying it yourself . If you have access to a small shop smith lathe you could open up a knob pretty easy depending on the compound of the knob .

Sent from the frozen North

10. broke hotrodder

broke hotrodder
    from NY

You can buy clear resin from Smooth Cast. Make a shape from plasticine ( oil based modeling clay), make a 2 part box mold and cast. It may take you a weekend or two , but you also could make 20 - 30 for the cost of having someone do it. All in you would have probably $80.00.

11. lamboapache

lamboapache

I once made a knob with POR-15 putty. It's cheap and molds easily to any shpe you want. once you insert your piece and mold around it, it won't come out. To attach to the handle, just mold the putty around an adapter fitting. You can make anys hape you like, then smooth, finish, paint any color you want. I suppose any epoxy putty would work, but the POR comes in a big brick, and is firm to begin with so it's like working with firm clay.

12. You should Contact @jimmygrrr here on the HAMB. I bought one from him, and as soon as I got it in the mail I decided I want my other rides to have them as well. That Dude makes some killer knobs and has a Eye for quality. I have bought 3 knobs from him and as long as he is still making them I will get another one for my next ride. Contact Jimmy, you'll be glad you did!

jimmygrrr likes this.
  13. I just looked up his ad, those are works of art. I've never said this about another man before (at least not sober) but if I was going to pay for a knob, it would be his.

14. Why not use the same guy Ryan uses to make all the HAMB shift knobs.

Saxman (Mike) does some fantastic work,you won't be disappointed. HRP

http://www.1954design.com/knobs.html

15. xhotrodder

xhotrodder

Check out today's Friday Art Show.

16. Thanks guys, you are making me blush!

prewarcars4me likes this.
  17. 56sedandelivery

56sedandelivery
    Member Emeritus

I remember when I was in Junior High School (63-65, now they call it Middle School) in "wood shop class", everyone got into making shift knobs using X-Mas tree ornaments as the mold filled with resin, and there were lots of different shapes. Thing was, no one was anywhere near to having a car or drivers license. Find a design you like, imbed a threaded shaft in the pour, then use a lathe to finish shape it to fit your medallion. Oversimplified, but you get the idea. Mix in metal flake, color, or whatever. My wife used to see a Family Practitioner who had a lucite toilet seat in the office bathroom; imbedded in the clear lucite was barbed wire, needles, razor blades, and rusty nails; just the thing to sit down on. I am butch/56sedandelivery.

nutter_street_rodder likes this.
  18. nutter_street_rodder

nutter_street_rodder
    from Nevis MN

Checked with 1954design, he can't do. Koolknobs only makes knobs about every 3 months. Am checking with Jimmygrrr now.
    I like the Christmas tree ornament idea alot.

19. Could ya cut down a shift know with a lathe and fill with clear resin after the item is placed inside?

20. Was thinking the same thing myself.