Register now to get rid of these ads!

47 ford truck build thread

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by mattlance13, Jul 18, 2013.

1. mattlance13

mattlance13
    from california

well tried to fire it yesterday, but the distributor is 180 degrees and i wasnt getting oil pressure, so as soon as i get time ill go through that, also got elect fan all hooked up, and a couple little things.

2. mattlance13

mattlance13
    from california

Well here it is. i dont know how to post vids into the post so here is the link to the video.
    youtube/watch?v=vrTpTMYX7OM

Last edited: Jan 23, 2014
  3. mattlance13

mattlance13
    from california

4. mattlance13

mattlance13
    from california

also got a free s10 seat yesterday that fits pretty well. and made and mounted all the pedals up so it would move back and forth.

5. Kevinsrodshop

Kevinsrodshop

Nice truck. Any updates?

6. jalopy45

jalopy45

Keep giving us updates. Should have my '45 back on the road this year.

7. jalopy45

jalopy45

Keep giving us updates. Should have my '45 back on the road this year. Looking at a 3rd. row seat out of a Ford mini van as it's the right width for a bench seat or buckets out of a Mustang II as they have a flat mounting base.

8. mattlance13

mattlance13
    from california

Sorry for dormat thread for a bit. i got in a motorcycle wreck and havent been able to do to much. updates are only ordered a bunch of parts, mounted up the throttle linkage, and adjusted the shifter. next on the to do list is weld up the rear end perches, Do the fab on the rear fenders, then runningboards, then instal new SW gauges. then do a shake down drive. then tackle the hood fab. here are some accident pics though for anyone whos curious. WARNING, BLOODY PICS AND STUFF...
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    THE DAMAGE: dislocated jaw, cut up face, and bit through tounge.(this, while wearing a full face) broken fingers and wrist in both hands, and chipped hip bone. CAUSE: 84 yr old making a left turn that didnt see me..
    ill get updates on truck soon for ya"ll.

Last edited: Apr 7, 2014
  9. qwick68

qwick68

Dam dude hardcore! Get better, glad your gonna be ok...

10. mattlance13

mattlance13
    from california

Well i got it registered, insured and driving this weekend. still alot to do, but i was happy to drive it. also got to drive by where they were filming sons of anarchy in my town and got a few pictures.
    [​IMG]
    this was at scale^
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    these are at S.O.A filming.

11. mattlance13

mattlance13
    from california

well nothing major to update, just have been running it, but I got the rear fenders put on, and am hoping to make it to mooneyes this next weekend.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    I was test fitting bumpers:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

12. bigpokie

bigpokie

I thought I recognized that name. Your square body gave you away !!! Lol. Looks good !! What did you make the filler neck from? And How did you attach the filler neck to the fuel tank ? Looking to do something similar for a OT project

Last edited: Dec 13, 2014
  13. BEM

BEM

That's cool

Posted using the Full Custom H.A.M.B. App!

14. Looks good,sorry about the motorcycle accident. HRP

15. mattlance13

mattlance13
    from california

thankyou, it was made using the cap from a overflow tank, bought a threaded piece of conduit, then made a pipe that runs down. then a piece of fuel specific rubber hose connects to the tank. I had to run a breather hose all the way up to the top to get it to take gas from the pump right.

thankyou. almost a year ago now. im mostly fully recovered now.

16. mattlance13

mattlance13
    from california

heres some pics from my phone from the other day. the catapultmotors watermark is from instagram.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

17. mattlance13

mattlance13
    from california

so I took the truck out the other night..
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

18. mattlance13

mattlance13
    from california

well it doesn't seem like anyone is on here anymore, but I still got the 47 ford. just been cruising here and there, progress other than that has been minimal.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

brind likes this.
  19. Jersey Larry

Jersey Larry

20. arkiehotrods

arkiehotrods

I agree with Jersey Larry!

21. Cool build. I dig the chevy fenders.

22. 47 ford p.u. jack hess 7-14 001.jpg 48f4-2012 080.jpg ...that truck looks pretty neat with the Chevy rear fenders; it has an old school look to it. Sorry bout your bike accident, don't look fun at all, hope you're mending well, what was that rod they pulled out of your arm?
    ...here's a 46 I bought last summer with 50 Ford truck rear fenders which look ok also.
    ...I'm runnin a Chevy bumper on my 48 Ford p.u., they fit real nice.

23. mattlance13

mattlance13
    from california

thanks guys,
    this is part of why I went with the chevy fenders.
    [​IMG]
    I think they just look right with the fronts too. I have different plans for atleast the rear bumper now.

24. mattlance13

mattlance13
    from california

finally got a filler panel made. needs a bit more work, I was just gonna weld it to the running board, but now I want to make it bolt in. also need to clearance around exaust a bit more.[​IMG]

Last edited: Apr 19, 2015
  25. 47flyer

47flyer

Slick build. I have one myself and I always like to see what others do with this body style.

mattlance13 likes this.
  26. mattlance13

mattlance13
    from california

[​IMG]
    well its been a while, and progress is still slow. finally fired it up this weekend after about 6 months, and I think the Obama gas took a toll on the carb, so ill be cleaning the carb out soon, and maybe changing spark plugs in an effort to fix the issue... the issue is: not starting up after being driven... soo it starts up first try after its been parked over night, but once I drive it someplace, and its warm, it wont fire.. it has fuel, it has spark(according to timing light) and it has air, and it is cranking, but it wont start. I can see fuel going into the carb when throttle is engaged, gauge reads 6psi, ive tried the choke in various places(which shouldn't even be nessisary since its warm now) and ive checked timing... the only thing that seems off is after it hasn't started several times, the starter starts cranking slower and slower, but that's a secondary issue... does anyone have any mythical carb advice for me? or something else I should be checking? carb is an edelbrock 650, on an old dual plane offy intake, with a riser. its kinda had this issue since before being parked, but it certainly seems to be getting worst... ive had to bump start it several times now, and it runs great according to my butt/ear dyno... any help, or hints/tips are very much appreciated. id like to have this thing reliably driving for this coming show season. thanks.

27. mattlance13

mattlance13
    from california

ive been having a discussion with some friends, and have determined its flooding itself out after shut down, but what is causing this? my electric fuel pump? it turns off when the key turns off... my choke not hooked up? its just a manual pull knob choke.. something else? thanks in advance for any inputs.. carbs are not my expertise...

28. Dimadee

Dimadee

My first thought is to install a fuel pressure regulator. This ensures the fuel pressure is always under control.

A quick consultation with Google found this - I would definitely add a FPR as a start.

I have blocked the heat riser in my inlet manifold. It never gets below freezing in Melbourne, so I don't expect to ever have any issues with the cold. Same in California??

29. mattlance13

mattlance13
    from california

all sorted and running good now. new fuel pump and new coil. but the problem was that the throttle cable would ground on the coil. but its fixed, and running good. i also swapped to a 4 speed because i was having clutch issues. that was a battle, but its all sorted now after re-making a few parts that werent long enough. that was at 4:45 am sat morning, and i left at 5:30 for mooneyes christmas party. ill post some photos in a bit.

30. mattlance13

mattlance13
    from california

[​IMG]
    heres from a shoot last night. check out his work on jimmyban.com, and @jam9k on instagram.

treb11 likes this.