Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects Dodge This - 1939 Dodge Southeast Gasser Build

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by Dog_Patch, Aug 12, 2014.

1. dirty old man

dirty old man
    Member Emeritus

Duster Dave, are you speaking of the darkend ends of the bearing shell at the parting line where I see a chamfer?

2. Awesome! You know what? When I bent a set of new bearings because the tang was offset, I put them on the shelf. Now I can just file the bent edges off. Let me see if I can salvage those.

loudbang and allwilly like this.
  3. dusterdave173

dusterdave173

yea you hit it right at that parting line where I marked with black marker--works like a dream
    I build Mopars for a living and sell all available Mopar parts heads etc--contact me for good deals

Uncledirty616, loudbang and Dog_Patch like this.
  4. dirty old man

dirty old man
    Member Emeritus

I can see how this would feed more oil to the thrust face of the bearing. But I wolud think that you only need the additional oil on the rearward, or flywheel side of the bearing as that's the direction the crank is pushed when you get on the clutch pedal'
    Your chamfer appears to go both directions from the center oil groove. Seems to me you'd want to only add oil flow on the side being pushed against?

5. dusterdave173

dusterdave173

I only do it to the rear on mine

loudbang likes this.
  6. II FUNNY

II FUNNY

What's the minimum wheelbase for the SEG? Minors were too short for competition in the Gas classes. Anglia and Austin were barely long enough.

Sent from my iPhone using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

7. hog mtn dave

hog mtn dave

The rules are on the SEG site, didn't see a minimum wheelbase. There is a rule about rocker panel height for 94+" and less than 94".

loudbang and saltflats like this.
  8. II FUNNY

II FUNNY

I know that Anglias couldn't even compete in the Gas classes before 1963...and the NHRA allowed them to run even though they were shorter than the 94" minimum wheelbase at 90", but had to be unblown and small block powered. A Minor has an 86" wheelbase...so they couldn't run back in the day, so technically wouldn't be period correct to let run today.

9. Got the block honed by Johnny this week. He schooled me on oil and zinc said 50W and zinc is needed even with a roller
    [​IMG]

10. Yeah, they like thick oil. The only reason mine has 50w. in it is because my local Kendall dealer was out of 60w.

Sent from my SM-S902L using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

Dog_Patch likes this.
  11. dusterdave173

dusterdave173

What is the reasoning behind such thick oil? I know nitro cars etc with lots of bearing clearance and oil dilution on a run go that way but why on earth would you run that in a NA engine with normal bearing clearance? What bearing clearance do you run ?

12. The 2017 valve train setup will be at 1000lbs open pressure. That was Johnny's reasoning for the 50W and Zinc.

loudbang likes this.
  13. Hang'emHigh

Hang'emHigh

I figured it was because they had clearances like a whore's ass after nickel buttf**k night. I stand corrected.

14. dusterdave173

dusterdave173

1000 lbs open means you better have the very worlds best Bushed axle lifters from isky--or morel
    That is lifter axle destroy pressure--yea I know the pros run it all the time but they swap lifters out like I do underwear
    You really will have to swap them out every now and then and keep an eye on them It is really really hard on valve stems--the locks will eat away at the locater groove--just be careful--now you will be in the land of Lots O Labor
    Keep idle time to minimum--keep idle RPM pretty high---keep a sharp eye on the rockers themselves and you will need some spare pushrods and I say Smith Bros adjusters by all means--easy to swap those out now before you eat the ones in there and you MUST have titanium retainers--no way around that
    I do this everyday and see lots of eat up valve train parts from extreme pressures--just saying be super careful--those blocks are not easy to find man
    Cool! Good luck!!
    I always opt for lobe design that lets me run lower than that but hey--you got a fast azz ride!!

loudbang and Dog_Patch like this.
  15. Higgy's Henry

Higgy's Henry

OK buddy........close your eyes! ONE, TWO,THREE! Open them.........WOOOOOT!!
    PM me

Attached Files:

saltflats likes this.
  16. Damn you Canadians can get all the good parts :)

17. Higgy's Henry

Higgy's Henry

Lol. Plenty of eye candy there. They value their cars more than anything. Took this 'lil' beauty on a tour to Havana. That's a 2 hour drive from where we were staying, each way! Oh yeah, its powered by a 3.5 litre diesel Mercedes!!!! WHAT?!!

Attached Files:

Dog_Patch likes this.
  18. Tony you are gonna have one bad machine next year. I can't what to see it in action. 1000 open pressure is ALOT of pressure. How big is the cam going to be? I'm actually putting smaller cams in my cammer we think the ones in it now are to big. Mine are only .720 lift with like 283 duration or something like that.

Sent from my SM-G930R4 using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

loudbang likes this.
  19. saltflats

saltflats
    from Missouri

I bet those push rods look like Lee Mace's base fiddle string when you zing that bad boy up.
    Do you rune the tapered push rods?

loudbang likes this.
  20. powrshftr

powrshftr

Why don't you just call Isky and ask for that?They'll make you anything you want.

21. You mean you rented that car? They don't have a HERTZ down there?

I bet those engines only need 200lbs of spring pressure .....

The new cam is a little bigger than last year - about 285 and the lift comes on sooner I think. Some Nick Smithberg science going on.

They are going to be double taper - Nick opened the pushrod holes in the head. Not sure of the size yet but its bigger.

powrshftr, loudbang and saltflats like this.
  22. Higgy's Henry

Higgy's Henry

Not a rental, it was a Havana tour. Car, driver who didn't speak English(but we shared pics of our builds lol), tour guide who happened to be moonlighting because he was the air traffic controller at Varadero airport, cigar factory tour, to/from Havana which is like a 2 hour drive each way. Whole day deal from 8:30-5 for a mere $130 CUC(same as US dollars)

Dog_Patch likes this.
  23. Higgy's Henry

Higgy's Henry

Good meeting ya this year bro! Looking forward to some good times in 2017!!

24. Hey does anyone know what paint code to use for the old 1958 Hemi Gold valve covers? This paint was what I used to buy 10 years ago and now its discontinued

gold_paint.jpg

moparob likes this.
  25. check with russticles....ain't he the paintin' guy

moparob, loudbang and Dog_Patch like this.
  26. Hang'emHigh

Hang'emHigh

Tony a couple places online show it still. Maybe give one or two a call and see if they have some old stock. Trademotion showed some for one.

Dog_Patch, moparob and loudbang like this.
  27. I tried Trademotion but the credit card checkout failed so that's still stalled.

We started on the body and what we thought would be a scuff and paint turned into some serious sand blasting. It was starting to rust from 3 years of racing in the rain and just living on an open trailer I guess.

IMG_4047.JPG

Fixed the rockers - kept losing cigars on the starting line through the holes ....

IMG_4053.JPG

IMG_4054.JPG

The plan was to blast the bad spots by hand and be done .....

IMG_4057.JPG

IMG_4060.JPG

Bottoms of the doors were non existent so ....
    IMG_4070.JPG
    IMG_4071.JPG

Then shit hit the fan - Huuuuuge storm - almost 1/2 way up the curb in some areas - all life stopped .......

IMG_4052.JPG

After the milk and bread ran out - we started back and said ta hell with it - full blast ahead
    IMG_4072.JPG IMG_4073.JPG IMG_4074.JPG IMG_4075.JPG

kiwijeff, loudbang, II FUNNY and 3 others like this.
  28. Niko is an incredible body guy and is making quick work of the slick down

IMG_4095.JPG IMG_4096.JPG IMG_4097.JPG IMG_4099.JPG IMG_4100.JPG

So for the color - looking at this shade of Corporal Blue :rolleyes:
    IMG_4092.PNG

29. 402BOSSMAN

402BOSSMAN

Wise color selection I must add! The gold button accents really tie it all together.

30. Nick - the current plan is to put "Heads by Smithberg Racing" in gold nipple leaf :rolleyes:

kiwijeff, powrshftr, loudbang and 3 others like this.