Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects Dodge This - 1939 Dodge Southeast Gasser Build

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by Dog_Patch, Aug 12, 2014.

1. Quain Stott

Quain Stott

Your not coil binding if you are keeping you air gap right. unless you have to many turns of base in it and I'm sure you don't.
    Our oiling issue was on the rear main so we was able to tap into the main oil galley and have two oiling holes in the upper main bearing. We did run a M style in the thrust where we ran the V type every where else. M is a softer bearing that we used in everything when making major tuning changes.
    I know here I go again I'll hush with the tech lesson.

loudbang likes this.
  2. Sounds like you need a stock valve angle Hemi in the Grand Illusion. :rolleyes: You already know how to work on them.;)

loudbang likes this.
  3. Tony, I wouldn't rum oil thinner than straight 50 weight, and preferably 60 or 70, but ask the others and see what their running.

Quain,

The 392's have the same center thrust bearing.

Sent from my SM-S902L using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

Dog_Patch likes this.
  4. saltflats and NHRANUT like this.
  5. DDDenny

DDDenny
    from oregon

Not sure what you're baking there Tony but you sure must have a BIG oven.

Dog_Patch and loudbang like this.
  6. Quain Stott

Quain Stott

Dog_Patch and loudbang like this.
  7. How in the heck did you find that much floor space in Russ' garage?

I'm curious as hell to see how this is going to turn out. All those other guys with '39 Dodge gassers are going to be lining up to buy 'glass deck lids.

8. saltflats

saltflats
    from Missouri

So are you going to make a front clip also?

loudbang likes this.
  9. dirty old man

dirty old man
    Member Emeritus

Nice mold, should hold it's shape well with your bracing.
    To echo Salt Flats, Do you plan on a front clip also?

10. Higgy's Henry

Higgy's Henry

Just another Sockfucker sunday!

11. Hang'emHigh

Hang'emHigh

Isn't that a song by The "Bang"les? :D

Uncledirty616 and Dog_Patch like this.
  12. Higgy's Henry

Higgy's Henry

Anything from here on in is a winter project for me!!
    IMG_20161211_1321497.jpg

catdad49, Dog_Patch and loudbang like this.
  13. No plans for glass on the front right now. Blacksmith Tom is making an aluminum hood top. The 40 pound doors are next

Sent from my iPhone using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

loudbang, allwilly and saltflats like this.
  14. saltflats

saltflats
    from Missouri

I like the easy plan.

15. [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Learning some things- needs to be stronger around the outside edges

Sent from my iPhone using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

Last edited: Dec 13, 2016
    catdad49, loudbang, allwilly and 3 others like this.
  16. saltflats

saltflats
    from Missouri

I have to ask what the orange piping is?

17. Quain Stott

Quain Stott

This is what makes the Southeast Gassers so cool. Racers like Tony and his friends doing everything their self.

18. Now that's a funny story - Russ has an air compressor that hasn't been started in 30 years out beside the garage - he told us it will be fine, just buy some oil and an air hose. Yeah that thing only made 5 PSI and the new hose I bought looked like good bracing material so ........

The next time the hose will make a complete perimeter loop to strengthen the mold edges.

Yeah it was all fun and games until the gel coat and resin ran Russ' girlfriend out of the house :oops::rolleyes: that's why we were in a different garage the next day :D

19. Brand Apart

Brand Apart
    from Roswell GA

X2
    Can't wait till next season

loudbang and Dog_Patch like this.
  20. Looks warm and fuzzy around the edges.

good work though, rock out with your sock out!

21. Missed you Jeffy! Was a good time!

allwilly, PBRmeASAP and loudbang like this.
  22. southcross2631

southcross2631

No need for fiberglass with my Morris Minor gasser project . Probably going to have to add about 450 lbs of weight to get to the D/Gas class. Can't afford enough motor to run with you A/Gas guys.
    Your glass is looking good.

Higgy's Henry, loudbang and Dog_Patch like this.
  23. dusterdave173

dusterdave173

As far as that thrust goes--we have always filed the edge off bearing half from oil groove back to thrust on rear--makes nice direct pressure oiling to the thrust in two minutes--easy as pie and....Stay off the pedal --keep in neutral as much as possible--stay off dat thang!

loudbang and bigmikes50chevy like this.
  24. dusterdave173

dusterdave173

Spec for thrust is--you need some----.002 is iffy but will live---.004-.006 is great--.007-.012 is racer style--more is yea it will be OK don't worry We take the bearings and sand them on glass plate or other flat surface to gain needed thrust room or to clean up sets like yours--use fine paper, oil or WD-40 and circular motion Those 392 mains are very $$$$ save them for sure oh yea....STAY off that pedal as much as possible!!
    Exhaust valve hits on well built engine are from over rev more spring pressure helps but at the risk of killing lifter axles--the only answer is bushed not needles and pressure oil to axle Note on Isky lifters --they are industry standard the smallest diameter out there--so if your lifter bores are worn maybe use the Morels--they invented the bushed deal ( not Isky) and they are a little fatter Morel or Isky stay away from Crower--they still don't understand Mopar oiling and stay far far away from other "name" brands which are Johnsons or imported---- Morel and Isky are the only way to go Many if not most aftermarkets units are Morels USA made John Callies sold Callies cranks and went into the lifter business long while back--he is the man if you have a tech lifter question I am told that regular big block Mopar rollers work in a 392 vs. special units that are crazy high $$--all about the oil band and bar hitting the block other than that duh..solid body with no or very narrow oil band is desirable
    FWIW Bob Reed used to turn his Hemi 9100 with not much more than 650 open so it is ALL about that cam lobe design--get new fancy computer designed lobe and youy will have trouble controlling it --get and OLD easy design and you will go same speed and be able to control the valve train--when ordering a cam INSIST on lobes that are easy on the valvetrain They know what you mean!!!!

25. Wouldn't have a pic or drawing of this modified bearing? You saying to cut a notch in the bearing at the oil hole?

loudbang likes this.
  26. dusterdave173

dusterdave173

OK This is a used shell--what you want to do is notice the edge where I put some sharpie in black--then you file that edge off--it makes a channel from the pressurized groove out to the thrust surface--you now have oil pressure sending oil all the time to the much needed area--easy as pie been doing it on all my Mopars for decades Hope these crummy pix help

Attached Files:

Mtn Goat and loudbang like this.
  27. saltflats

saltflats
    from Missouri

Wow that was easy.

loudbang likes this.
  28. Higgy's Henry

Higgy's Henry

You should add about 600-650lbs just to be safe!! :rolleyes: